Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Alabama/ND Articles Comparing The Two

Thought the board would like these. The first two are written by an Alabama blogger thought they were very good and fair.

DL

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2012/12...defensive-line

LB

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2012/12...he-linebackers

USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...kelly/1787371

You will get an error message on the first two links Click on the "Roll Bama Roll" and you can then get to the articles written by Matt Stover. Sorry for the extra step
    Last edited by Maverick2; December 29th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Pretty good write up. It's the way I see it myself. But then there will be big drop off everywhere else.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Third Team

Re: Alabama/ND Articles Comparing The Two

Overall, I thought the DL and LB analysis was fair and accurate. Credit to the author who clearly did his homework. One small note - I still think the UGA defense is overrated. If not from an individual talent perspective than certainly as a relates to playing team defense. But it's a minor quibble.

The same link is up on a couple ND pay sites and the (sane fans') reactions have been similar to mine - fair and accurate.

By the way, I get an error message on the last link. Maybe it's just me. But thanks anyway.

BamaNation Second Team

One thing about UGA....A VERY poor tackling team, bad angles, just NOT good. The linebacker piece talks about UGA linebackers.....Bad tackling and not just in the SEC game. Their defense as a whole are NOT good tacklers.
    Great talent, poorly coached in the fundamentals IMO

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

UGA has had a top 5 defense two years in a row. Their defense is legit. Suggesting otherwise implies that Alabama had nothing to do with those broken tackles. Alabama ran the ball for 350 yards in that game. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick2 View Post
    One thing about UGA....A VERY poor tackling team, bad angles, just NOT good. The linebacker piece talks about UGA linebackers.....Bad tackling and not just in the SEC game. Their defense as a whole are NOT good tacklers.
    Great talent, poorly coached in the fundamentals IMO
    Richt is a former OC. Some OCs who become HCs have good defenses. Spurrier comes to mind. However, it's my offhand opinion that former OCs tend not to pay enough attention to the defense. BTW, looking at Beavers vs. Shorthorns, I'm certainly glad that Applewhite is not our OC any more...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation First Team Bamafaninco1's Avatar

BTW, looking at Beavers vs. Shorthorns, I'm certainly glad that Applewhite is not our OC any more...
    Totally agree with this.
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; December 29th, 2012 at 06:27 PM.

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    UGA has had a top 5 defense two years in a row. Their defense is legit. Suggesting otherwise implies that Alabama had nothing to do with those broken tackles. Alabama ran the ball for 350 yards in that game. Amazing.
    I'm not implying that Alabama didn't pound Georgia into the ground, impose their will and physically dominate them like no other team had, just saying Georgia's defense is not THAT great and did not live up to the individual talent they put on the field.

Georgia's defense gave up 20 points or more to Kentucky, Missouri, Florida Atlantic and Buffalo. Three of those four teams scored the majority of their points in the first half - in other words, not during garbage time. The one that didn't (Missouri) split scoring equally in both halves and actually led 10-9 after two quarters. Then of course you have the 35-7 beat down against South Carolina. True, South Carolina is a great team. But that doesn't explain why the mighty bulldogs gave up 44 to Tennessee....

Alabama's offense is a machine. Lacy is a beast, Yeldon is an amazing combo of strength and quickness. And the O Line is the best in the country. 350 yards is an outrageous number. They earned it, no doubt. And I agree with you - that is amazing. But Georgia's defense is hardly the 85 Bears.
    Last edited by NDinNYC2; December 29th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by NDinNYC2 View Post
    I'm not implying that Alabama didn't pound Georgia into the ground, impose their will and physically dominate them like no other team had, just saying Georgia's defense is not THAT great and did not live up to the individual talent they put on the field.

Georgia's defense gave up 20 points or more to Kentucky, Missouri, Florida Atlantic and Buffalo. Three of those four teams scored the majority of their points in the first half - in other words, not during garbage time. The one that didn't (Missouri) split scoring equally in both halves and actually led 10-9 after two quarters. Then of course you have the 35-7 beat down against South Carolina. True, South Carolina is a great team. But that doesn't explain why the mighty bulldogs gave up 44 to Tennessee....

Alabama's offense is a machine. Lacy is a beast, Yeldon is an amazing combo of strength and quickness. And the O Line is the best in the country. 350 yards is an outrageous number. They earned it, no doubt. And I agree with you - that is amazing. But Georgia's defense is hardly the 85 Bears.
    Nor is ND circa 2012

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    Nor is ND circa 2012

Ah, I can tell you this, on ND's WORST day this defense won't be giving up 350 yards on the ground to ANYONE. Alabama will get their yards running it, but they won't come close to that number.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Ah, I can tell you this, on ND's WORST day this defense won't be giving up 350 yards on the ground to ANYONE. Alabama will get their yards running it, but they won't come close to that number.
    That is what UGA fans were saying before the game. In fact, there were many who thought that the UGA RB duo would perform better than Alabama's.

I am not saying that Alabama will run for 350 yards against ND - just that UGA's defense is a lot better than you think. Alabama really is that good. The only reason that Alabama played LSU and aTm close was their desire to throw the ball when they were gashing them on the ground. Yeah - Alabama was destroying LSU's defense on the ground, too. Check the stats. Doubt that anyone will claim that LSU's defense is over-rated.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I wouldn't say that if I were you!
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    That is what UGA fans were saying before the game. In fact, there were many who thought that the UGA RB duo would perform better than Alabama's.

I am not saying that Alabama will run for 350 yards against ND - just that UGA's defense is a lot better than you think. Alabama really is that good. The only reason that Alabama played LSU and aTm close was their desire to throw the ball when they were gashing them on the ground. Yeah - Alabama was destroying LSU's defense on the ground, too. Check the stats. Doubt that anyone will claim that LSU's defense is over-rated.

I don't know what the UGA fans were saying. And no one is saying LSU's defense is overrated. This I can tell you is that ND's defense is fundamentally a BETTER defense than UGA's. They are better coached and will do a MUCH better job against Alabama then what UGA did.

This game is going to come down to two things 1) War in the trenches 2) Turnovers. Plain and simple. FB is not complicated. Whether Bear Bryant or Knute Rockne are roaming the sidelines, it is a game of execution in blocking and tackling and protecting the ball. Whoever does it better wins.