Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 30
  1. #14

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Jacky View Post
    I disagree with the assertion in bold above. I am sure every 'Bama fan would have said McCarron was better than Manziel before the TAMU game as well. McCarron may make few mistakes but no way does he have the arm or legs that Golson does. McCarron was better than the Everett Golson of the first five games this year. Golson is better than McCarron now. I honestly believe that will be demonstrated on Jan 7. More than any other ND player, I think Golson is going to be your ruin.
    Hahahahaha...

  2. Advertisement
  3. #15
    BamaNation All-SEC Bamafan P.T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    1,117

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    You do realize that he's the #1 rated QB in the land in passing efficiency and Golson is ranked #63, even with improvement? I've watched a fair amount of all three now and I find it quite an overreach to say that Golson's arm is better than McCarron's when there's just no evidence for it. That's just silly. "Golson is going to be your ruin" is pretty close to the smack we don't allow from rival fans and would be better kept on ND boards...
    No sense in letting statistics and facts get in the way of laying down some good smack Earle

  4. #16

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Jacky View Post
    I don't think the "efficiency" says much: your run-based offensive scheme doesn't rely on your QB the way our offense does. Also, Golson's stats are distorted by his "learning curve" during the first half of the season.
    His stats have not improved - the learning curve thing is completely fabricated by the media, and the ND fans have bought it. Check his stats. Against good opponents, he is a 50% passer. He has only 11 TD passes all season - almost none against good opponents.

    As for the comparisons to Manziel - it is beyond absurd to continue to compare the two. Only in ND fans' dreams is Golson in his area code.

  5. #17

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    His stats have not improved - the learning curve thing is completely fabricated by the media, and the ND fans have bought it. Check his stats. Against good opponents, he is a 50% passer. He has only 11 TD passes all season - almost none against good opponents.

    As for the comparisons to Manziel - it is beyond absurd to continue to compare the two. Only in ND fans' dreams is Golson in his area code.
    His effectiveness has improved greatly with experience. % of completions is a rather weak stat in any event because of the situational variables it doesn't account for. Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron has this year.

    You didn't read my post clearly if you inferred I was comparing Golson to Manziel in terms of their respective abilities. I didn't say he was better than Manziel (I didn't say he wasn't better either). I said he was more like Manziel than any QB you faced this year. This is a true statement. I was speaking about his running ability and his elusiveness for the most part.

  6. #18
    BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    2,956
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    When you have an O Line like Bama, you don't have to rely on a "clutch" throw.

    So what if he makes "clutch" throws if you punt two downs later.

    How many of these "clutch" throws was a TD or won a game for ND?

  7. #19

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Jacky View Post
    His effectiveness has improved greatly with experience. % of completions is a rather weak stat in any event because of the situational variables it doesn't account for. Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron has this year.

    You didn't read my post clearly if you inferred I was comparing Golson to Manziel in terms of their respective abilities. I didn't say he was better than Manziel (I didn't say he wasn't better either). I said he was more like Manziel than any QB you faced this year. This is a true statement. I was speaking about his running ability and his elusiveness for the most part.
    LOL, completion percentage is a rather weak stat for a QB? Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron but has less than half the # of TD's. Come on man...
    That's the paradox of success. The moment you stop to enjoy it, you are in trouble. You have to keep moving forward. It's not what you have done that's important. It's where you are going.
    Alabama Coach Nick Saban


  8. #20

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Jacky View Post
    His effectiveness has improved greatly with experience. % of completions is a rather weak stat in any event because of the situational variables it doesn't account for. Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron has this year.
    You seriously consider completion percentage to be a "weak" stat? Respectfully, if McCarron's stats and Golson's stats were reversed, you would be using them to prove your case. Since Golson comes up so woefully short, you discard stats, citing "situational variables".

    Tell me, has anyone bought this line of thinking on the ND boards?

  9. #21

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Quote Originally Posted by bamabelle1991 View Post
    When you have an O Line like Bama, you don't have to rely on a "clutch" throw.

    So what if he makes "clutch" throws if you punt two downs later.

    How many of these "clutch" throws was a TD or won a game for ND?
    I can think of 3 right off.

  10. #22

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    You seriously consider completion percentage to be a "weak" stat? Respectfully, if McCarron's stats and Golson's stats were reversed, you would be using them to prove your case. Since Golson comes up so woefully short, you discard stats, citing "situational variables".

    Tell me, has anyone bought this line of thinking on the ND boards?
    Tommy Rees has the highest completion percentage in the history of Notre Dame football, so we don't really put much weight into that stat. I think the stronger argument is McCarron's ability to lead and win. He has a National Championship under his belt and has taken a reloaded team back to the NCG.

    In regards to Kelly, one of the first things he said about trying to prepare for the game was requesting a new opponent. I think he has a lot of respect for the Tide and knows the daunting challenge ahead.

  11. #23
    BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    2,956
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Jacky View Post
    I can think of 3 right off.
    3 TD's or 3 victories?

  12. #24
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    304
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

    Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Quote Originally Posted by REBELZED View Post
    LOL, completion percentage is a rather weak stat for a QB? Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron but has less than half the # of TD's. Come on man...
    Clutch throws. Interesting. Alabama didn't have many close games - that's why AJ doesn't have many clutch throws. ND practically played every game to the wire against weak competitors. You think Golson could have drove down the field against LSU in Baton Rouge and won the game solely with his arm?

  13. #25
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    pensacola,fl
    Posts
    477

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Jacky View Post
    His effectiveness has improved greatly with experience. % of completions is a rather weak stat in any event because of the situational variables it doesn't account for. Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron has this year.

    You didn't read my post clearly if you inferred I was comparing Golson to Manziel in terms of their respective abilities. I didn't say he was better than Manziel (I didn't say he wasn't better either). I said he was more like Manziel than any QB you faced this year. This is a true statement. I was speaking about his running ability and his elusiveness for the most part.
    I appreciate your confidence in your QB and will take you up on the offer not to trade. Although I have not watched every clutch throw made by Golson this season, I did see the clutch throws made by McCarron in the 2011 BCS National Championship game, the LSU game this year and the throws made against Georgia in the SEC championship game. I will put my stock in those.

    Also, the Bama defense did face another highly regarded running QB in Denard Robinson and did fairly well against him. After the 1st Qtr Manziel onslaught, the defense adjusted and held him in check for the most part. As a Bama fan, I can certainly say that I feel much better about facing a running Golson now after being somewhat embarrassed by Manziel at home. I'm pretty sure that the coaches & players are putting forth extra time and effort to ensure that does not happen again. Well shall see on January 7th!

  14. #26
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    8,803

    Re: Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

    Golson is a true freshman with no championship experience going up against a team whose seniors have won two national titles.

    He is also going to be matching wits with Coach Saban, who, at Bama has coached bowl games and championship games and has not only soundly defeated but completely dumb founded Quarterbacks like Tim Tebow and Kirk Cousins.

    I like Golson and respect Notre Dame but they have faced no team this season like they're running into next Monday....not even close.

    sip

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!