Brian Kelly post practice (12/29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I only watched 10 minutes. He's not going to give away any strategy. Kelly is an upper echelon coach and he'll have ND ready.

CBK seems to be following the Nick Saban formula for preparing for a NC game.

While I believe Coach Saban is clearly the best coach in college football, I don't think Alabama has a huge "x's and o's" advantage because he's our coach. Alabama's advantage is in having recruited better, having more depth, having a better QB, and having been to the dance before. The team with the best players usually wins.

ND may be hungrier and a team of destiny. Any team can win on a given day, but I believe Alabama wins 4 out of 5 times ... or more.

Thanks for posting the link.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
ND may be hungrier and a team of destiny. Any team can win on a given day, but I believe Alabama wins 4 out of 5 times ... or more.

Thanks for posting the link.
I agree with you. My concern is falling prey to the '1 out of 5'. I have confidence in the team I back, it's the intangibles that jump up to spoil the party. And they always scare the heck out of me.
Roll Tide, Roll...A'ight!

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Thanks for sharing. I watched it entirely. CBK seems like a good guy.

Any player interviews you can provide?

ND Philosopher

Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for sharing. I watched it entirely. CBK seems like a good guy.

Any player interviews you can provide?
Here you go:

http://youtu.be/ANXejJPizCU

and here is Everett Golson and Theo Riddick talking about a big play in the Oklahoma game:

http://youtu.be/gdLJeZrWmVU

This clip gives you a look at Golson's arm strength, and at Chris Brown, the fastest player on the team (a freshman, not yet a starter).

Last edited:

mhiggy45

3rd Team
Sep 2, 2010
daytona bch
could only get through 6 minutes. he just does'nt hold my attention like when cns is working a presser. only my opinion, no smack intended towards you domer guests.:)

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I imagine CBK is thinking, privately of course how to put into words the impending total domination the Irish will experience a few days from now. :BigA:

Perhaps he should speak with CMD of Michigan State. I'm thinking the final result will be similar to his experience with the Tide following the 2010 season. 11-1 Big 10 Co-Champions and blown smack out despite CNS trying to take it easy on Sparty. I don't expect the same level of mercy against ND.

Last edited:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
These things are such a controlled environment, it is very hard to glean info of actual value. First of all, neither of the coaches are going to talk anything remotely resembling smack, and both these teams have the kind of discipline that prevents players from saying anything that the opposing coach can key off on game day. So you are down to respectful vanilla, and the obvious stuff about want to run and stop the run, pass and stop the pass, not give up the ball &tc. I find it tolerable in our coach but not interesting from the other guys.

Irish Jacky

Dec 27, 2012
I only watched 10 minutes. He's not going to give away any strategy. Kelly is an upper echelon coach and he'll have ND ready.

Alabama's advantage is in having recruited better, having more depth, having a better QB, and having been to the dance before. The team with the best players usually wins.

I disagree with the assertion in bold above. I am sure every 'Bama fan would have said McCarron was better than Manziel before the TAMU game as well. McCarron may make few mistakes but no way does he have the arm or legs that Golson does. McCarron was better than the Everett Golson of the first five games this year. Golson is better than McCarron now. I honestly believe that will be demonstrated on Jan 7. More than any other ND player, I think Golson is going to be your ruin.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I disagree with the assertion in bold above. I am sure every 'Bama fan would have said McCarron was better than Manziel before the TAMU game as well. McCarron may make few mistakes but no way does he have the arm or legs that Golson does. McCarron was better than the Everett Golson of the first five games this year. Golson is better than McCarron now. I honestly believe that will be demonstrated on Jan 7. More than any other ND player, I think Golson is going to be your ruin.
You do realize that he's the #1 rated QB in the land in passing efficiency and Golson is ranked #63, even with improvement? I've watched a fair amount of all three now and I find it quite an overreach to say that Golson's arm is better than McCarron's when there's just no evidence for it. That's just silly. "Golson is going to be your ruin" is pretty close to the smack we don't allow from rival fans and would be better kept on ND boards...

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
It's not April 1st so you clearly must be joking. I would take McCarron blindfolded over Golson. #1 in passing efficiency over #63. I'll take my chances. Roll Tide.

Irish Jacky

Dec 27, 2012
Sorry, I didn't mean the "ruin" comment to be smack; more an expression of confidence.

As to the QB's: I have watched both QB's as well. I've probably watched Golson more than you and you have no doubt watched McCarron more than me. I assume there is no argument concerning their respective leg speed/elusiveness. We'll just have to disagree about arm strength. I don't think the "efficiency" says much: your run-based offensive scheme doesn't rely on your QB the way our offense does. Also, Golson's stats are distorted by his "learning curve" during the first half of the season. Golson is more like Manziel than any other QB you have faced this year. I'm very comfortable in my opinion of him versus your guy. I wouldn't trade QB's with you.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
Hahahahaha...

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
You do realize that he's the #1 rated QB in the land in passing efficiency and Golson is ranked #63, even with improvement? I've watched a fair amount of all three now and I find it quite an overreach to say that Golson's arm is better than McCarron's when there's just no evidence for it. That's just silly. "Golson is going to be your ruin" is pretty close to the smack we don't allow from rival fans and would be better kept on ND boards...
No sense in letting statistics and facts get in the way of laying down some good smack Earle
:)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think the "efficiency" says much: your run-based offensive scheme doesn't rely on your QB the way our offense does. Also, Golson's stats are distorted by his "learning curve" during the first half of the season.
His stats have not improved - the learning curve thing is completely fabricated by the media, and the ND fans have bought it. Check his stats. Against good opponents, he is a 50% passer. He has only 11 TD passes all season - almost none against good opponents.

As for the comparisons to Manziel - it is beyond absurd to continue to compare the two. Only in ND fans' dreams is Golson in his area code.

Irish Jacky

Dec 27, 2012
His stats have not improved - the learning curve thing is completely fabricated by the media, and the ND fans have bought it. Check his stats. Against good opponents, he is a 50% passer. He has only 11 TD passes all season - almost none against good opponents.

As for the comparisons to Manziel - it is beyond absurd to continue to compare the two. Only in ND fans' dreams is Golson in his area code.
His effectiveness has improved greatly with experience. % of completions is a rather weak stat in any event because of the situational variables it doesn't account for. Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron has this year.

You didn't read my post clearly if you inferred I was comparing Golson to Manziel in terms of their respective abilities. I didn't say he was better than Manziel (I didn't say he wasn't better either). I said he was more like Manziel than any QB you faced this year. This is a true statement. I was speaking about his running ability and his elusiveness for the most part.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
When you have an O Line like Bama, you don't have to rely on a "clutch" throw.

So what if he makes "clutch" throws if you punt two downs later.

How many of these "clutch" throws was a TD or won a game for ND?

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
His effectiveness has improved greatly with experience. % of completions is a rather weak stat in any event because of the situational variables it doesn't account for. Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron has this year.

You didn't read my post clearly if you inferred I was comparing Golson to Manziel in terms of their respective abilities. I didn't say he was better than Manziel (I didn't say he wasn't better either). I said he was more like Manziel than any QB you faced this year. This is a true statement. I was speaking about his running ability and his elusiveness for the most part.
LOL, completion percentage is a rather weak stat for a QB? Golson has made more clutch throws than McCarron but has less than half the # of TD's. Come on man...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You seriously consider completion percentage to be a "weak" stat? Respectfully, if McCarron's stats and Golson's stats were reversed, you would be using them to prove your case. Since Golson comes up so woefully short, you discard stats, citing "situational variables". :rolleyes:

Tell me, has anyone bought this line of thinking on the ND boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.