Kenny Bell injury question

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
I am seeing Kenny runninng and on the bike in some of the videos. I know he has a ways to go to cutting and being full speed. But is it safe to say he is on his way to a full recovery?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am seeing Kenny runninng and on the bike in some of the videos. I know he has a ways to go to cutting and being full speed. But is it safe to say he is on his way to a full recovery?
With a fibula fracture, there's a very high probability he'll return to 100%. From the limp, I'm guessing that he had some displacement with soft tissue damage. That's painful and will make you limp. If it were just a crack in the bone, I'd think he wouldn't be limping at this point. The limp makes his participation doubtful...

With a fibula fracture, there's a very high probability he'll return to 100%. From the limp, I'm guessing that he had some displacement with soft tissue damage. That's painful and will make you limp. If it were just a crack in the bone, I'd think he wouldn't be limping at this point. The limp makes his participation doubtful...
Do you think the crack itself is healed all the way at this point?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Do you think the crack itself is healed all the way at this point?
My guess is that it's really more than just a crack, or he'd probably be ready to go. However, if the fracture were displaced and chewed up some soft tissue, they reduced the fracture when they put in the rod and the actual bone is probably healed now, given how fast youngsters heal. However, if the fibula were displaced and moved around causing muscle/ligament damage, that could inhibit his performance more than the broken bone. The neighbor I mentioned much earlier was actually trying to jog with his broken fibula, back when they seldom intervened with a broken fibula. He finally couldn't take the pain...

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
The competition level in the program right now is such that the players really work themselves to get back ob the field. They also have a top notch staff of trainers and doctors working with them. These players do not want to get passed by or miss reps at all. This is a hungry group of guys. I love it.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I'm hoping we don't need him in the NC game which would indicate the Tide was doing fine without him and beating ND. Soft tissue injuries can be much worse than a broken bone. One time, while skiing in Austria, I had a bad fall and, after coming down the mountain on a ski patrol gurney (great fun actually), I was treated by the emergency physician. After x-rays, he just told me in German that it was a pity I didn't break my leg. Turned out to be an achilles tendon injury and a week in the hospital.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm hoping we don't need him in the NC game which would indicate the Tide was doing fine without him and beating ND. Soft tissue injuries can be much worse than a broken bone. One time, while skiing in Austria, I had a bad fall and, after coming down the mountain on a ski patrol gurney (great fun actually), I was treated by the emergency physician. After x-rays, he just told me in German that it was a pity I didn't break my leg. Turned out to be an achilles tendon injury and a week in the hospital.
It's true that the soft tissue can be worse. Years ago, Liz separated a shoulder skiing at Steamboat Springs, CO, and had to be evacuated. The temps were around -20F in the base area where the cold air settled. (They finally bottomed out at -47F.) I had no idea how fast they could take those sleds down. I had to ski as fast as I could to catch up (and I'm not slow), to get them to slow down and protect her face. They and all the rest of us had ski masks, but Liz didn't have hers on and her face was exposed to those subzero temps plus wind chill. I still have frostbite damage on two toes and one middle finger.That's one thing about Austria - you don't usually have to face those brutal temps. You weren't in the Oetztal, were you? :)

I remember when I had a third degree sprained ankle while in Kuwait. I could barely walk, as a matter of fact i couldnt walk. it looked like my knee had dropped. I didn't immediately go to the doctor because I knew it wasn't broken so I chalked it up to experience because of all the other sprain I had. Went to sleep without elevating it and it got worse. Went to the doctor and found it was the worse kind of sprain to have. Doctor said the amount of scare tissue I had he had never seen before and it would have been better it I had broken it. It's safe to say that my ankle still isn't right and it's been almost 10 years. I wonder if the scar tissue is somewhat like that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I remember when I had a third degree sprained ankle while in Kuwait. I could barely walk, as a matter of fact i couldnt walk. it looked like my knee had dropped. I didn't immediately go to the doctor because I knew it wasn't broken so I chalked it up to experience because of all the other sprain I had. Went to sleep without elevating it and it got worse. Went to the doctor and found it was the worse kind of sprain to have. Doctor said the amount of scare tissue I had he had never seen before and it would have been better it I had broken it. It's safe to say that my ankle still isn't right and it's been almost 10 years. I wonder if the scar tissue is somewhat like that.
I haven't heard any mention of a sprain at all, so I sort of doubt it. Your injury may well have been worse. My BIL fell several years ago while mowing his very steep front yard. The orthopedist told him the same. He'd pretty much destroyed the attachments holding the tibia and fibula together. He had to have surgery twice...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know it's been discussed, but is the redshirt really an issue? It doesn't really seem that way at this point.

Who knows it might be his coming out party like Norwood last year. Which was beautiful!
Well, because of the NCAA regs, it would cost him an entire year of eligibility, which he might need, if he gets a second injury. Opinion is split on whether or not he's likely to stay an extra year. He's super-talented, but, as said above, he's not very tall compared to most of the WRs who've come out early...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.