Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team CrimsonForce's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Re: I Believe Alabama Needs a New AD

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    THIS, THIS mentality is the problem
    No. "THIS" mentality is why we have the #1 football program right now.

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    TGP -

I agree that both men's and women's basketball are under-achieving. I'm not so sure, however, that a change in the AD's office would fix that.

You've advocated firing Mal Moore. That's a pretty radical position. But I respect your tenure here, and your previous posts, so I'm willing to listen. Please tell us:
    1. What, specifically, is wrong with the current administration, especially given 4 NCs and a near miss on a fifth in the immediately preceding year,
    2. Who, specifically, you would suggest starting over with, and
    3. Why you believe the specifically named person would go a better overall job than the incumbent, Mal Moore.
    I have advocated for some time (2009) that Coach Moore retire as AD, and stay on at The University as "AD and Fund Raiser Emeritus" at his current level of compensation.

There are many great things about Coach Moore, but I believe The University could benefit from hiring a a younger, more progressive AD who could also handle the daily duties

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Bama has been good at both- I would argue that from 1974 through about 1992 (when Wimp was forced to resign) that no school in the country was as successful in both football and basketball as Alabama. Never won it all but very very consistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    How many basketball championships did we win in the 70s? That's my point. And success wasn't even really sustained throughout both even then.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

let me say, I don't think he should be fired. But I don't think Coach is doing everything he should be doing for all programs.

People keep hanging their hats on the football program, and that's great. Football is KING, and it PAYS for the other programs, for the most part. But, Coach appears to only know football, and only care about football. Look at baseball, CJW quit and CMM's response wasn't to go find the best-of-the-best, or make an educated hire of a young up and comer. No, he made empty promises to entice him BACK, then CJW wound up lasting another year. Really?

Women's basketball was a total wreck after the Stefanie Smith hire. So, instead of going and getting someone, we move the Associate Athletic Director for Alumni Relations into the head coaching position.....

Look, the guy loves Alabama. No question. But come on...we don't HAVE to be a football-only school, and that's all he seems to care about.

I give 95% of the softball championship to Coach Murphy and the job he did raising funds for the facilities.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

I have advocated for some time (2009) that Coach Moore retire as AD, and stay on at The University as "AD and Fund Raiser Emeritus" at his current level of compensation.

There are many great things about Coach Moore, but I believe The University could benefit from hiring a a younger, more progressive AD who could also handle the daily duties
    You still aren't giving specifics. It's easy to be critical without offering solutions and you haven't even pointed out what he has done to deserve being terminated.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I am sure Coach Moore wishes the best for UA - but I also believe he is part of that "Old School" element who thinks Basketball success can potentially be damaging to UA Football

See the Coach Sanderson years for example
    We all have our opinions..I can respect yours..I don't believe that though..At all..After CMG was fired..Mal went out & hired the best Coach he could..Coach Grant was considered by the vast majority of the country as the "Home Run" hire at the time..Has it turned out to be that "Home Run" hire..Not yet..But..Due too injuries this year & the fact he hasn't had enough to prove he's that "Home Run" hire..I simply don't agree with your post..Give Coach Grant time before we throw him to the curb..He may turn out not to be the Coach to turn our BBall Program around..

Now our Baseball Program is a different story..I do think there's a case that can be made about it being neglected by the Powers-That-Be..

BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Our athletic teams are feast or famine. We won four national championships and almost won a fifth, but were terrible in other sports.

In the fall season, we finished first in football in the SEC. But the women's cross country team came in 11th and the men were 11th out of 13. (South Carolina does not have a men's team). In volleyball, the team came in 10th out of 13. (No Vandy).

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    No. "THIS" mentality is why we have the #1 football program right now.
    no reason The University of Alabama can't/shouldn't have the premier athletic department in the entire SEC. Yes, football is king, but why not strive to be the best at everything?

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

I Believe Alabama Needs a New AD

Quote Originally Posted by bamanut_aj View Post
    no reason The University of Alabama can't/shouldn't have the premier athletic department in the entire SEC. Yes, football is king, but why not strive to be the best at everything?
    So they don't strive to succeed? Hm.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonForce's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Because you can't be the best at everything. Name a program that was ever the best at everything. There never has been. I'm all for trying to improve all the facilities and other sports program, but I feel like the state of Alabama athletics is pretty high right now. I think we are spoiled because of how good our football program is.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTide13 View Post
    So they don't strive to succeed? Hm.
    yes, I believe the athletes and the coaches, for the most part, strive to be the best. I DON'T believe our AD has, other than football.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Not calling you out, but what shows we aren't striving to be the best? Funds aren't unlimited, so what would YOU do differently.

It's really easy to call people out for 'bad performance' while not offering better solutions. I ask again - for those wanting to replace CMM, who would you hire? There's no magic AD tree you go to and pull the perfect answer...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I would wager I have attended more Basketball Games than AD Moore in the last 20 years, and I actually have to pay to get in
    Totally agree. I have not seen him at a single game this year. As far as attendance, Our attendance is by far the best in the state. there was over 13,000 there tonight after a mediocre season to date.

As far as the other sports,
    Softball- Mal essentially let our NC winning coach leave without so much as a counteroffer. He would have never left if Mal had shown an interest in keeping him.
    Gymnastic- Coach Bryant hired Coach Patterson
    Golf- We were lucky to get these guys. The assistant AD lured them is what I was told.

There is no reason we can't be competitive in every sport we participate in, but the AD doesn't give a rat's butt about anything but football.

Mall did lure Saban, but lets face facts, he even screwed the pooch on the previous hires in football. One hire doesn't make him a great AD. He keeps his job because he can smooze the bog donors and raise money effectively.