I Believe Alabama Needs a New AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Coach Moore signed off on the CAG hire; he did NOT do the legwork.

Coach Murphy did his own fund raising for the softball stadium.

Our baseball team has the WORST facilities in the SEC...

Our women's bball....don't even go there

Coach Moore gets to hang his hat in the Saban hire, and he lucked out on that when RichRod pulled his stunt.

I don't often agree with the OP on a lot of things, but I am definitely no CMM worshiper like I'm seeing here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not calling for his firing, but I'm not a huge fan, either. Maybe wish him a nice retirement when his contract is up.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm not calling for his firing, but I'm not a huge fan, either. Maybe wish him a nice retirement when his contract is up.
I could understand someone saying this, but saying to fire the man is a little crazy to me. If all he ever did in his tenure was hire CNS, that would be enough for me.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
TGP -

I agree that both men's and women's basketball are under-achieving. I'm not so sure, however, that a change in the AD's office would fix that.

You've advocated firing Mal Moore. That's a pretty radical position. But I respect your tenure here, and your previous posts, so I'm willing to listen. Please tell us:

1. What, specifically, is wrong with the current administration, especially given 4 NCs and a near miss on a fifth in the immediately preceding year,

2. Who, specifically, you would suggest starting over with, and

3. Why you believe the specifically named person would do a better overall job than the incumbent, Mal Moore.

It's one thing to advocate a change in a fit of private piqué. It's entirely another to act on the short-term emotion and live with the long-term consequences.

A publicly-stated position like this, from a person of your stature, begs more than a little explanation.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If he is a "Good AD" then why are BOTH our Basketball Programs in their current state???

CMM is a Football Guy, and if that is all you want, so be it. But why not aspire to Excellence across the Board?
Its not like he is not trying. Its hard to get to the top. Why do the vast majority of schools not have one program like our football program? We won 4 national championships last year. How many would we have to win for him to be considered a "good AD?"

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Look- no one is more disappointed in where the basketball program now resides. There are many reasons for that. I will give Mal Moore credit for a couple of things- he went out and hired what was considered to be one of the best coaches available in Anthony Grant. Spent decent money doing it as well. Then built him a state of the art practice facility. That is pretty good support from a "football" guy. Showing up at more games would be good but probably will not happen. I would blame him for the basketball team's mediocre to bad performance.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
TGP -

I agree that both men's and women's basketball are under-achieving. I'm not so sure, however, that a change in the AD's office would fix that.

You've advocated firing Mal Moore. That's a pretty radical position. But I respect your tenure here, and your previous posts, so I'm willing to listen. Please tell us:
1. What, specifically, is wrong with the current administration, especially given 4 NCs and a near miss on a fifth in the immediately preceding year,
2. Who, specifically, you would suggest starting over with, and
3. Why you believe the specifically named person would go a better overall job than the incumbent, Mal Moore.
I have advocated for some time (2009) that Coach Moore retire as AD, and stay on at The University as "AD and Fund Raiser Emeritus" at his current level of compensation.

There are many great things about Coach Moore, but I believe The University could benefit from hiring a a younger, more progressive AD who could also handle the daily duties

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Bama has been good at both- I would argue that from 1974 through about 1992 (when Wimp was forced to resign) that no school in the country was as successful in both football and basketball as Alabama. Never won it all but very very consistent.
How many basketball championships did we win in the 70s? That's my point. And success wasn't even really sustained throughout both even then.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
let me say, I don't think he should be fired. But I don't think Coach is doing everything he should be doing for all programs.

People keep hanging their hats on the football program, and that's great. Football is KING, and it PAYS for the other programs, for the most part. But, Coach appears to only know football, and only care about football. Look at baseball, CJW quit and CMM's response wasn't to go find the best-of-the-best, or make an educated hire of a young up and comer. No, he made empty promises to entice him BACK, then CJW wound up lasting another year. Really?

Women's basketball was a total wreck after the Stefanie Smith hire. So, instead of going and getting someone, we move the Associate Athletic Director for Alumni Relations into the head coaching position.....

Look, the guy loves Alabama. No question. But come on...we don't HAVE to be a football-only school, and that's all he seems to care about.

I give 95% of the softball championship to Coach Murphy and the job he did raising funds for the facilities.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I have advocated for some time (2009) that Coach Moore retire as AD, and stay on at The University as "AD and Fund Raiser Emeritus" at his current level of compensation.

There are many great things about Coach Moore, but I believe The University could benefit from hiring a a younger, more progressive AD who could also handle the daily duties
You still aren't giving specifics. It's easy to be critical without offering solutions and you haven't even pointed out what he has done to deserve being terminated.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I am sure Coach Moore wishes the best for UA - but I also believe he is part of that "Old School" element who thinks Basketball success can potentially be damaging to UA Football

See the Coach Sanderson years for example
We all have our opinions..I can respect yours..I don't believe that though..At all..After CMG was fired..Mal went out & hired the best Coach he could..Coach Grant was considered by the vast majority of the country as the "Home Run" hire at the time..Has it turned out to be that "Home Run" hire..Not yet..But..Due too injuries this year & the fact he hasn't had enough to prove he's that "Home Run" hire..I simply don't agree with your post..Give Coach Grant time before we throw him to the curb..He may turn out not to be the Coach to turn our BBall Program around..

Now our Baseball Program is a different story..I do think there's a case that can be made about it being neglected by the Powers-That-Be..

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Our athletic teams are feast or famine. We won four national championships and almost won a fifth, but were terrible in other sports.

In the fall season, we finished first in football in the SEC. But the women's cross country team came in 11th and the men were 11th out of 13. (South Carolina does not have a men's team). In volleyball, the team came in 10th out of 13. (No Vandy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.