I Believe Alabama Needs a New AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
" I am a former D-1 Basketball player, and played beyond that. If I took a trip to Coleman today as a recruit, I would have been completely dismayed by the fan support I saw.
-True Pluck and Grit

I guess because someone played "D-1 Basketball" he knows how to run an athletic program. Im bowing out of this one..

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I have advocated for some time (2009) that Coach Moore retire as AD, and stay on at The University as "AD and Fund Raiser Emeritus" at his current level of compensation.

There are many great things about Coach Moore, but I believe The University could benefit from hiring a a younger, more progressive AD who could also handle the daily duties
Aside from attending more basketball games (and I'm not sure how you think that really translates to more wins), you have not mentioned just what it is you think Moore is not doing that would make the basketball team better.

Here are some relevant facts (from Moore's letter in the Athletics Annual Report)

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/alab/genrel/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/athletic-annual-report.pdf

"For the first time in UA’s more than 120 years of athletics competition, Crimson Tide teams earned national championships in four sports – football, gymnastics, women’s golf and softball – and an SEC title in men’s golf.

...In 2011-12, our women’s athletics program earned its highest finish ever in the Capital One Cup standings, taking third place overall, just behind Stanford and UCLA. We finished sixth in the men’s standings."

I doubt Moore (or any other AD would/could have) attended all the matches for all these teams, either. Yet, Moore should retire because he doesn't have perfect attendance at basketball games? Come on, now.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Some fans will only accept winning, regardless of the obstacles to doing so. This basketball team has one Sr (Steele), who has been injured during this entire down spell. There is only one contributing Jr (Releford), who has been playing about as well as you can ask of him. Engstrom (Jr) is out for the year, Gueye (Jr) has not recovered from all of his injuries of the past two years. The core of the team, Cooper/Jacobs/Lacey/Randolph, are true Soph's still trying to find their way. Obasohan (RS Fr) and Pollard (true FR) have a long way to go.

We saw early in the season, as in the trip to NYC, this can be a very competitive group when everyone is available/healthy. However, the best basketball for this group was not going to be this year, but the next two years as our Soph's mature and CAG keeps bringing in better players.

I can't see how all of this is Coach Moore's fault.

The only thing basketball related I have questioned that falls under the realm of the AD would be this: somewhere around 2004 the University spent a boat load of money renovating Coleman. In my opinion, it would have been better to have taken that opportunity (and money) to have built a new facility for basketball. I've been to many a game there and still don't find it to be a fan friendly facility, nor does it aid in recruiting. Having said all that, I'm still looking forward to getting to a handful of games this season, but then, I just like college hoops.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Within a 100 mile radius of Coleman there are several million people - Should The University not be able to get at least 10-12,000 fans in for a Holiday game?

I am a former D-1 Basketball player, and played beyond that. If I took a trip to Coleman today as a recruit, I would have been completely dismayed by the fan support I saw.

And in this thread, no one yet has mentioned the detrimental effect Tide Totals has had on Programs other than Football
Care to elaborate on the Tide Totals issue?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Within a 100 mile radius of Coleman there are several million people - Should The University not be able to get at least 10-12,000 fans in for a Holiday game?

I am a former D-1 Basketball player, and played beyond that. If I took a trip to Coleman today as a recruit, I would have been completely dismayed by the fan support I saw.

And in this thread, no one yet has mentioned the detrimental effect Tide Totals has had on Programs other than Football
How does Tide Totals favor sports other than football?

My donation this year was earmarked for the Crew team, but I get full credit for TT points, regardless of whether we're talking about football or any other sport.

If I'm missing something, I'd appreciate the education.

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
OK..Since nobody else will say it, I will.

What in the world is going on on this board since the end of football season? Dupes galore. Not very well thought out commentary. Unnecessary sparring over stuff that really doesn't matter. Good grief.

It's DECEMBER

The team has lost 4 (FOUR) games.

There are 18 games left. Keep calm, man...Keep calm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.