Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 40 to 47 of 47
  1. #40
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    In a dream world
    Posts
    3,077
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

    Re: Will ND go the hurry up offense route?

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    It isn't that you are always victim to these, it is that it requires this sort of performance to derail Alabama right now. Other teams falter/fall to lesser teams because they are not focused or simply not as good/deep as advertised. Alabama seems to be prepared every week, has great depth and is motivated - so it takes this sort of performance. Frankly, you remember them because they are the only "blips" in the last 2 seasons, in which you are completely destroying every team that doesn't get this sort of performance from their QB. The lone exception - the regular season game against LSU last year - a game lost as a result of 5 missed FGs.

    What does that tell us? That Alabama can lose, but it will take one of those type of games for it to happen.
    What is the one reason that Bama lost to those teams that everyone is overlooking??? Bama's d wasn't as good the seasons we lost to them. Take their same players and Bama's 2011 d and how many does Bama lose? 2010 and this years Bama's d isnt as good as it has been. I don't think au wins in 2010 either with 2011's d.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #41
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    60

    Re: Will ND go the hurry up offense route?

    Quote Originally Posted by BFANLC View Post
    Is it short because of injuries? I hadn't heard of anything, didnt know if it was something new or just short because of past recruiting issues.
    I guess I hadn't put too much thought into it before Kelly said this at his press conference yesterday or the day before, and even says we're thin in the last line:

    "Weve had to be very careful in what weve done relative to contact with that group because were very limited right now . I think Nick Martin has played every position on the offensive line. Hes been our versatile guy across the board. Mark Harrell has played a lot at the No. 2 center position. Hes done a nice job for us. Its just been really trying to manage the guys at this point where were not overtaxing them. Its been a bit of limiting situation for us.

    "If theres probably one thing that has affected some of my thought process relative to engaging our O-line live against our D-line, its been that were a little thin on the offensive line."

    It has been short-term injuries, a transfer, a death, and career-ending injuries, along with a slight gap in recruiting (the kid who died months before coming to ND was supposed to be a stud and probably would be a Junior right now).

  4. #42
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    45,112

    Re: Will ND go the hurry up offense route?

    Quote Originally Posted by athlete37 View Post
    I guess I hadn't put too much thought into it before Kelly said this at his press conference yesterday or the day before, and even says we're thin in the last line:

    "Weve had to be very careful in what weve done relative to contact with that group because were very limited right now . I think Nick Martin has played every position on the offensive line. Hes been our versatile guy across the board. Mark Harrell has played a lot at the No. 2 center position. Hes done a nice job for us. Its just been really trying to manage the guys at this point where were not overtaxing them. Its been a bit of limiting situation for us.

    "If theres probably one thing that has affected some of my thought process relative to engaging our O-line live against our D-line, its been that were a little thin on the offensive line."

    It has been short-term injuries, a transfer, a death, and career-ending injuries, along with a slight gap in recruiting (the kid who died months before coming to ND was supposed to be a stud and probably would be a Junior right now).
    That's understandable. Most coaches have a bit of caution about going good on good at the very end of the season. One thing which may help Bama a bit is that we've had a number of games where we were able to sub a lot of OL in the second half. Our 2nd string center, Kelley, has had significant PT, along with the other OL backups. Both ND and Bama have rotated quite a bit on the DL. That's not to say we wouldn't miss Jones. We would. You don't lose an Outland/Rimington winner and not notice it. I've been casually reading some of the ND boards and I've been seeing Jones dismissed as "overrated" and "bloated" - similar stuff. It tells me they haven't been watching his performances like the award voters have...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  5. #43
    BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    217

    Re: Will ND go the hurry up offense route?

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That's understandable. Most coaches have a bit of caution about going good on good at the very end of the season. One thing which may help Bama a bit is that we've had a number of games where we were able to sub a lot of OL in the second half. Our 2nd string center, Kelley, has had significant PT, along with the other OL backups. Both ND and Bama have rotated quite a bit on the DL. That's not to say we wouldn't miss Jones. We would. You don't lose an Outland/Rimington winner and not notice it. I've been casually reading some of the ND boards and I've been seeing Jones dismissed as "overrated" and "bloated" - similar stuff. It tells me they haven't been watching his performances like the award voters have...
    Certainly Jones isn't overrated. What I can't quite understand (as a result of me only watching roughly 3 full 'bama games this year) is why he isn't a first rounder. I guess I understand being a great college player but it not translating into the NFL, but as far as LB, OL, or DL are concerned, it usually should translate...

  6. #44
    BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,963

    Re: Will ND go the hurry up offense route?

    They ain't drafted yet D.

  7. #45
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    45,112

    Re: Will ND go the hurry up offense route?

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    Certainly Jones isn't overrated. What I can't quite understand (as a result of me only watching roughly 3 full 'bama games this year) is why he isn't a first rounder. I guess I understand being a great college player but it not translating into the NFL, but as far as LB, OL, or DL are concerned, it usually should translate...
    It's really just the typical low draft value assigned to interior OL in the NFL. Warmack will be the exception to the rule, because he's freakish, maybe the best guard to come out in the last decade, according to some NFL analysts. He will be that rare interior OL taken in the first round. I'm not saying Jones won't, but Warmack will be taken ahead of him. One thing may boost Jones a bit and that's his brains. A GM may draft him as a n OG and train him as a center backup, since he can make the blocking calls.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  8. #46
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    8,291
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Will ND go the hurry up offense route?

    OGs are usually late first round grade at best. DeCastro from Stanford last season and Warmack this season are breaking the mold as being mid-first grades. Of course, DeCastro "fell" from his talking head big board position down to #24 which is more like a highly thought of guard. I don't think Warmack is going to fall too far off his grade. He'll be gone by the late teens.

    Barrett Jones projects more like your traditional interior linemen grade. He's a second round type talent and that is not a knock at his ability.

  9. #47
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: Will ND go the hurry up offense route?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolcbear View Post
    This is where watching film and studying tendencies is huge. When they go tempo what routes are employed and where do they like to put the ball? Knowing these things may enable us into baiting the HUNH with a coverage they like, only to jump a route we knew was coming.
    Hiding and baiting coverages are one of Bama's specialties.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!