Will ND go the hurry up offense route?

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
Is it short because of injuries? I hadn't heard of anything, didnt know if it was something new or just short because of past recruiting issues.
I guess I hadn't put too much thought into it before Kelly said this at his press conference yesterday or the day before, and even says we're thin in the last line:

"We’ve had to be very careful in what we’ve done relative to contact with that group because we’re very limited right now . I think Nick Martin has played every position on the offensive line. He’s been our versatile guy across the board. Mark Harrell has played a lot at the No. 2 center position. He’s done a nice job for us. It’s just been really trying to manage the guys at this point where we’re not overtaxing them. It’s been a bit of limiting situation for us.

"If there’s probably one thing that has affected some of my thought process relative to engaging our O-line live against our D-line, it’s been that we’re a little thin on the offensive line."

It has been short-term injuries, a transfer, a death, and career-ending injuries, along with a slight gap in recruiting (the kid who died months before coming to ND was supposed to be a stud and probably would be a Junior right now).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I guess I hadn't put too much thought into it before Kelly said this at his press conference yesterday or the day before, and even says we're thin in the last line:

"We’ve had to be very careful in what we’ve done relative to contact with that group because we’re very limited right now . I think Nick Martin has played every position on the offensive line. He’s been our versatile guy across the board. Mark Harrell has played a lot at the No. 2 center position. He’s done a nice job for us. It’s just been really trying to manage the guys at this point where we’re not overtaxing them. It’s been a bit of limiting situation for us.

"If there’s probably one thing that has affected some of my thought process relative to engaging our O-line live against our D-line, it’s been that we’re a little thin on the offensive line."

It has been short-term injuries, a transfer, a death, and career-ending injuries, along with a slight gap in recruiting (the kid who died months before coming to ND was supposed to be a stud and probably would be a Junior right now).
That's understandable. Most coaches have a bit of caution about going good on good at the very end of the season. One thing which may help Bama a bit is that we've had a number of games where we were able to sub a lot of OL in the second half. Our 2nd string center, Kelley, has had significant PT, along with the other OL backups. Both ND and Bama have rotated quite a bit on the DL. That's not to say we wouldn't miss Jones. We would. You don't lose an Outland/Rimington winner and not notice it. I've been casually reading some of the ND boards and I've been seeing Jones dismissed as "overrated" and "bloated" - similar stuff. It tells me they haven't been watching his performances like the award voters have...

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
That's understandable. Most coaches have a bit of caution about going good on good at the very end of the season. One thing which may help Bama a bit is that we've had a number of games where we were able to sub a lot of OL in the second half. Our 2nd string center, Kelley, has had significant PT, along with the other OL backups. Both ND and Bama have rotated quite a bit on the DL. That's not to say we wouldn't miss Jones. We would. You don't lose an Outland/Rimington winner and not notice it. I've been casually reading some of the ND boards and I've been seeing Jones dismissed as "overrated" and "bloated" - similar stuff. It tells me they haven't been watching his performances like the award voters have...
Certainly Jones isn't overrated. What I can't quite understand (as a result of me only watching roughly 3 full 'bama games this year) is why he isn't a first rounder. I guess I understand being a great college player but it not translating into the NFL, but as far as LB, OL, or DL are concerned, it usually should translate...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Certainly Jones isn't overrated. What I can't quite understand (as a result of me only watching roughly 3 full 'bama games this year) is why he isn't a first rounder. I guess I understand being a great college player but it not translating into the NFL, but as far as LB, OL, or DL are concerned, it usually should translate...
It's really just the typical low draft value assigned to interior OL in the NFL. Warmack will be the exception to the rule, because he's freakish, maybe the best guard to come out in the last decade, according to some NFL analysts. He will be that rare interior OL taken in the first round. I'm not saying Jones won't, but Warmack will be taken ahead of him. One thing may boost Jones a bit and that's his brains. A GM may draft him as a n OG and train him as a center backup, since he can make the blocking calls.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
OGs are usually late first round grade at best. DeCastro from Stanford last season and Warmack this season are breaking the mold as being mid-first grades. Of course, DeCastro "fell" from his talking head big board position down to #24 which is more like a highly thought of guard. I don't think Warmack is going to fall too far off his grade. He'll be gone by the late teens.

Barrett Jones projects more like your traditional interior linemen grade. He's a second round type talent and that is not a knock at his ability.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This is where watching film and studying tendencies is huge. When they go tempo what routes are employed and where do they like to put the ball? Knowing these things may enable us into baiting the HUNH with a coverage they like, only to jump a route we knew was coming.
Hiding and baiting coverages are one of Bama's specialties.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.