Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

SOS Rankings Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    OU/TAMU is really two spread teams, with OU being much heavier on the pass. It's really hard to predict those games. A lot of it will be how Manziel shows up...
    Will it be at the Cotton Bowl old Texas Stadium or Jerry's World?
    ROLL TIDE!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SOS Rankings Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    It was 30-13. That is a dominant performance. I understand a lot happened in the fourth quarter, but you don't lose badly and say you barely lost. Alabama only beat Ole Miss 33-14, and while I agree Alabama was a more dominating performance, Alabama was held to a fairly meager 305 yards offense. You can nitpick any performance, but bottom line is if you get beat by more than two TDs you got your butt kicked.
    This is typically the case, but not always. See Cincinnati and Duke in the Belk Bowl.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo....html#boxscore

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cotton Bowl game is at Jerry World.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

SOS Rankings Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA1979 View Post
    The Cotton Bowl game is at Jerry World.
    Oh, A&M will win then. Lol
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I have a bad feeling about the TAMU/OU game. The team that has the ball last will probably win it.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA1979 View Post
    This is typically the case, but not always. See Cincinnati and Duke in the Belk Bowl.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo....html#boxscore
    Heh, well granted if you score that many points I think it really obscures things quite a bit. I guess I could have said if you scored twice as many points instead, but 6-3 just doesn't feel like a blowout. I think we can name plenty of low scoring Alabama games that felt like blowouts, but didn't even meet the 14 point margin. I did say more than two TDs though, and it's usually a very hard sell to say you lost by 17 but it was a close game.

I discussed the margin of victory vs. percentage here earlier in the season. The notion was that winning 21-7 was far more dominating than winning 35-21. I think this applies to scoring twice as many points+a two TD margin because you're left with a lot of buts and ifs to try and explain that away. If only we'd made it on fourth down and if only we had done this and that, etc... For practical purposes though, a blowout shouldn't really matter if it happened in the first or the fourth quarter. If you are capable of stopping them when you have to, and scoring when you need to, and ultimately putting up a lot more points than them, you've blown them out.

I understand why people want to look down on Notre Dame, but I can't. I looked at their schedule at the start of the year and I felt it was one of the toughest I've seen. Sure, things didn't turn out as tough as they looked. USC and Oklahoma were not legit title contenders (although Oklahoma would have been in the mix had they not lost to Notre Dame). Michigan was not the elite team they could have been. Miami and BYU were closer to mediocre than great. It was still a tough schedule, and Notre Dame handled it quite well.

I honestly think a lot of Alabama fans are trying to reach to put down Notre Dame. I've seen several people here claim Notre Dame didn't even play a tough schedule. Really? That's absurd. Yes, Notre Dame is beatable, but so is Georgia, Texas A&M, and LSU. There's plenty of reason to believe Notre Dame gives Alabama just as much trouble as those teams did. In fact, there is logical ground to argue Notre Dame is better than those three teams.

I expect Alabama to win, but Notre Dame did not play a weak schedule, and Notre Dame is a very, very good team. They got lucky a couple of times, but so did Alabama. It takes a little luck to get in the championship game most years.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

SOS Rankings Comparison

They played a hard schedule. The back end though, not so much.
    ROLL TIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I honestly think a lot of Alabama fans are trying to reach to put down Notre Dame. I've seen several people here claim Notre Dame didn't even play a tough schedule. Really? That's absurd. Yes, Notre Dame is beatable, but so is Georgia, Texas A&M, and LSU. There's plenty of reason to believe Notre Dame gives Alabama just as much trouble as those teams did. In fact, there is logical ground to argue Notre Dame is better than those three teams.

I expect Alabama to win, but Notre Dame did not play a weak schedule, and Notre Dame is a very, very good team. They got lucky a couple of times, but so did Alabama. It takes a little luck to get in the championship game most years.
    A lot of Bama folks do look down on Notre Dame because frankly, they have been down. Notre Dame for all intents and purposes played a Big 10 type schedule. I wished they had played Ohio State, so someone could have put an L on their record, one or the other.

Notre Dame has a very good team, I would not argue otherwise, so does Ohio State. That region of the country's talent has been down for years compared to the SEC. When you get down to it every team is beatable, proof of that to a Bama fan is obvious unless he has been under a rock all year.

I think Notre Dame has found their coach for now and the foreseeable future in Brian Kelly. There is no doubt that they can win this game coming up with the key word being "can". Doubtful but they can! If I was a Notre Dame fan I would be hopeful without a doubt, but confident as some or most are? Well I recall how I felt leading up to the '92 Sugar bowl against Miami. I was hopeful, but I was not about to run my mouth or as in these days and time typing fingers!

The Sagarin ratings that I linked to were updated 12-30-12, not sure about TEAM RANKINGS. Check back Wednesday to compare with the rankings I posted on the first page.