Will Notre Dame Even Score a Touchdown?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not sure where he's looked. I watch a couple of ND boards, only post in one. The one I watch the most has had a number of 'Bama fans show up. Like here they aren't going to talk a lot of trash and last very long. There have been a few that seem to enjoy talking football and have been pretty good to read.

As a guest on your board, I know I can't show the same level of homerism here that I might on my home board. That's fair, it's an Alabama fan board and I respect that. It works two ways though. One thing I've learned is it is very difficult to post without someone taking exception. I try to be respectful but I also try to at least present an alternative viewpoint, or in some cases present a more reasonable ND point of view when maybe an unfair ND characterization is being made.

I don't know that I would join if I had it to do over, but I enjoy the viewpoints and getting a better sense of a great program.
I thought that was true of discussion boards everywhere. We even take exception to what each other say as Bama fans. One thing which makes this game harder than most to discuss, I think, is that we really only have the one common opponent, UM. Bama fans tend to play up the parallel and ND fans try to downplay it for obvious reasons. I, for one, will be watching the OM vs. Pitt game with a lot of interest. I think that game may be something like 4.5 to OM, but most Pitt fans seem to feel that that is generous. BTW, here is an excellent resource board to use for prospecting for rival boards. I've used it for years. It's a Husker site, but it has links to most of the boards in the country...

LINK

taddy

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 25, 2012
I thought that was true of discussion boards everywhere. We even take exception to what each other say as Bama fans. One thing which makes this game harder than most to discuss, I think, is that we really only have the one common opponent, UM. Bama fans tend to play up the parallel and ND fans try to downplay it for obvious reasons. I, for one, will be watching the OM vs. Pitt game with a lot of interest. I think that game may be something like 4.5 to OM, but most Pitt fans seem to feel that that is generous. BTW, here is an excellent resource board to use for prospecting for rival boards. I've used it for years. It's a Husker site, but it has links to most of the boards in the country...

LINK
It is I think. The trick is trying to be concise in what you say, eliminate possible dual meanings.

I can add some background to the Michigan and Pitt games if you wish.

Michigan
Denard Robinson has been the thorn in our existence. We chased him around for 4 years before we finally beat him. Watch the 4th qtr of the 2011 game and you will see our frustration. Add to that a 100 years of bad blood between the two schools and it's a heated rivalry. The only thing that mattered was winning and after three years of failure it was just as much putting an end to a streak as much as it was looking good doing it. He just had our number. Remember the Bulls trying to beat the Pistons? Similar.

Pitt
It was a little bit of a trap game but just as big an issue was the flu. It's been reported some, Nix particularly, but it was much more prevalent that reported, much more. Not our best game for sure but after half time we shut them down pretty well. You hear about their missed field goal but no one mentions the shorter field goal ND missed earlier in the game that would have kept the game from OT to start with. I'll take the win.

It's football, every play matters in the end and the ball bounces funny.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Everybody is due a trap game unfortunately for Alabama TAMU was a much better team than Pitt. I think people underrate just how good of a defense BYU has with a few front seven guys who are future pros.

The Michigan games really just show that Alabama was much further along in September than Notre Dame. The Irish have gotten better offensively since then and truly it doesn't matter if they have a better offense than us. All that matters for ND is whether their offense can score more than Alabama's offense on January 7.

I always concern myself more with the matchups because each game is it's own life. For example, Notre Dame has two good mismatch players against man coverage at TE and tailback. I've always felt those positions were the openings for chain-moving, schedule-keeping passes against our defense instead of trying to make deep, low-percentage passes to the WRs. The errant nature of Golson at this juncture makes scheming quick stuff to the TE and tailback ideal for building some rhythm in the young guy. Whereas with Alabama, I think ND is a team very ideally built to take us on. I think the 2010 Auburn offense and 2006/2008 Florida offense would have been a tougher SEC matchup for this team...they'd be able to function better in personnel that gets some of ND's best personnel of the field. Our best kind of encourages them to play their best.

taddy

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 25, 2012
Everybody is due a trap game unfortunately for Alabama TAMU was a much better team than Pitt. I think people underrate just how good of a defense BYU has with a few front seven guys who are future pros.

The Michigan games really just show that Alabama was much further along in September than Notre Dame. The Irish have gotten better offensively since then and truly it doesn't matter if they have a better offense than us. All that matters for ND is whether their offense can score more than Alabama's offense on January 7.

I always concern myself more with the matchups because each game is it's own life. For example, Notre Dame has two good mismatch players against man coverage at TE and tailback. I've always felt those positions were the openings for chain-moving, schedule-keeping passes against our defense instead of trying to make deep, low-percentage passes to the WRs. The errant nature of Golson at this juncture makes scheming quick stuff to the TE and tailback ideal for building some rhythm in the young guy. Whereas with Alabama, I think ND is a team very ideally built to take us on. I think the 2010 Auburn offense and 2006/2008 Florida offense would have been a tougher SEC matchup for this team...they'd be able to function better in personnel that gets some of ND's best personnel of the field. Our best kind of encourages them to play their best.
Great post. I honestly don't know what to expect. It could be a blow out but just don't see that. Our margin of error is quite small compared to yours. You guys are so well balanced, I expect we'll take some punches but there hasn't been any quit in our guys so they will play 60 minutes. What we'll know in a week or so is how we stack up. As a ND fan I'm excited because there are only two teams with a chance and we're one of them. I also know we're only going to get better as Kelly builds the program and continues to improve the recruiting.

The higher the scoring, the worse our chances are.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
As much as I think people try to talk up tempo from ND, I expect the same from us...but with more balance than what we showed against UGA. We're going to try to wear their DL down to pay dividends down the stretch. That is why I'm anticipating at 24-13 type game. It'll be something like 17-13 or 21-13 Alabama in the 4th quarter but they put together a good long drive and put away the game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I just hope I don't get as tired of seeing their big tight end (Eifert?) as I did Jason Witten several years ago...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yep, Eifert is the TE. Riddick is the tailback. I think they're the pressure points at the advantage of Notre Dame. Daniels and Jones are decent WRs but I think TAMU and UGA's WRs are easily much better than them. Heck, I think Landry and Beckham might be more talented but their production hasn't been there with LSU's work-in-progress offense.

They split Riddick out wide quite a bit which gives them formation multiples with personnel that actually do more than create spacing (which is often the case when we flex TE and tailbacks). They will split him out and actually look to throw it to him as a primary. The same for Eifert when out there on the perimeter. They aren't just trying to take their WRs off your best corners, they like the matchup against your perimeter guys. Riddick was a solid WR for them in 2010 and 2011 before switching to tailback late last year. Overall, it makes for all-around good matchups because their true WRs get on the 3rd corner and they can trust Riddick and Eifert out there to run good routes.

Still, I think the biggest gains will end up being found within their true positions. There are bigger mismatches to be found by getting matched on a rush OLB or safety by Eifert and Riddick getting manned on an ILB in base formations out of the backfield. There is a reason why Saban shows them so much respect on offense. Golson isn't going to break out for 90-100 yards on the ground like Manziel, but he can make something out of nothing...so you have to respect gap assignments even in pass rush. They have good personnel for mismatching you in the passing game. Ultimately, they also run the ball well which allows any team to hang in a game.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
Yep, Eifert is the TE. Riddick is the tailback. I think they're the pressure points at the advantage of Notre Dame. Daniels and Jones are decent WRs but I think TAMU and UGA's WRs are easily much better than them. Heck, I think Landry and Beckham might be more talented but their production hasn't been there with LSU's work-in-progress offense.

They split Riddick out wide quite a bit which gives them formation multiples with personnel that actually do more than create spacing (which is often the case when we flex TE and tailbacks). They will split him out and actually look to throw it to him as a primary. The same for Eifert when out there on the perimeter. They aren't just trying to take their WRs off your best corners, they like the matchup against your perimeter guys. Riddick was a solid WR for them in 2010 and 2011 before switching to tailback late last year. Overall, it makes for all-around good matchups because their true WRs get on the 3rd corner and they can trust Riddick and Eifert out there to run good routes.

Still, I think the biggest gains will end up being found within their true positions. There are bigger mismatches to be found by getting matched on a rush OLB or safety by Eifert and Riddick getting manned on an ILB in base formations out of the backfield. There is a reason why Saban shows them so much respect on offense. Golson isn't going to break out for 90-100 yards on the ground like Manziel, but he can make something out of nothing...so you have to respect gap assignments even in pass rush. They have good personnel for mismatching you in the passing game. Ultimately, they also run the ball well which allows any team to hang in a game.
Riddick is a converted WR - Cierre Wood is also a capable back.

Niklaus is another big TE starting to come on for ND as well

dulac72

Nov 30, 2012
Can any of you predict the board's reaction to an ND victory?
No need to explain the verbiage after a Bama win.

taddy

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 25, 2012
There's some good stuff here. We don't have any superstars but Eifert is legit. He's a wide receiver in a TE's body and his blocking is much improved. The other guys are solid. No blazers but they can make plays. Our offense will spread you out, or run plays that spread you out and in space they are effective.

Golson in space is bad news. I have to think Saban will try to keep the pocket small and contained. Golson's ability to recognize on the fly and get rid of the ball without turnovers is a must. That's a big advantage your having a seasoned QB. Kelly has pounded "no turnovers and no negative plays". Golson has known from the start if he wants to play, don't do either. He has thrown the ball away a lot over the year that more experienced qb's would have made a play. For the most part he's done okay.

The game strategies are going to be the best part, watching how the game unfolds will be fascinating. Both teams are good at making adjustments. One or two plays could be the difference.

EDIT: FYI - Riddick was a RB coverted to receiver converted to RB. If he was a half a step faster.....

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
There's some good stuff here. We don't have any superstars but Eifert is legit. He's a wide receiver in a TE's body and his blocking is much improved. The other guys are solid. No blazers but they can make plays. Our offense will spread you out, or run plays that spread you out and in space they are effective.

Golson in space is bad news. I have to think Saban will try to keep the pocket small and contained. Golson's ability to recognize on the fly and get rid of the ball without turnovers is a must. That's a big advantage your having a seasoned QB. Kelly has pounded "no turnovers and no negative plays". Golson has known from the start if he wants to play, don't do either. He has thrown the ball away a lot over the year that more experienced qb's would have made a play. For the most part he's done okay.

The game strategies are going to be the best part, watching how the game unfolds will be fascinating. Both teams are good at making adjustments. One or two plays could be the difference.

EDIT: FYI - Riddick was a RB coverted to receiver converted to RB. If he was a half a step faster.....
Another thing not sure many 'bama fans have noticed ... Riddick is not very fast. I mean he is fast, no doubt. But top end speed, Mosley could probably catch him.

Cierre Wood, on the other hand, has great top end speed. And Atkinson is the fastest ND player since probably Rocket.

Anyway, I strongly believe ND will score a TD. But that's just me :cool:

Bamatide44

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 26, 2009
It makes me laugh when I read posters telling other posters that they shouldn't disrespect ND because look what happened to Miami in the Sugar Bowl. Good grief folks, there's nothing we can do as fans that make even the slightest difference in this game! Come down out of the clouds and remind yourself that you aren't a player on the team.

If you believe what CNS preaches, then all the clutter we create as fans will not make one bit of difference. No pregame rituals, no smack talking, absolutely nothing as a fan will help or hurt this team in this game. If all those rituals didn't help you in the Dubose and Shula years it sure as heck ain't helping now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.