Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Will Notre Dame Even Score a Touchdown?

The higher the scoring, the worse our chances are.
    Hard to disagree with that, when you look at the RZ scoring record of each team...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

As much as I think people try to talk up tempo from ND, I expect the same from us...but with more balance than what we showed against UGA. We're going to try to wear their DL down to pay dividends down the stretch. That is why I'm anticipating at 24-13 type game. It'll be something like 17-13 or 21-13 Alabama in the 4th quarter but they put together a good long drive and put away the game.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Everybody is due a trap game unfortunately for Alabama TAMU was a much better team than Pitt. I think people underrate just how good of a defense BYU has with a few front seven guys who are future pros.

The Michigan games really just show that Alabama was much further along in September than Notre Dame. The Irish have gotten better offensively since then and truly it doesn't matter if they have a better offense than us. All that matters for ND is whether their offense can score more than Alabama's offense on January 7.

I always concern myself more with the matchups because each game is it's own life. For example, Notre Dame has two good mismatch players against man coverage at TE and tailback. I've always felt those positions were the openings for chain-moving, schedule-keeping passes against our defense instead of trying to make deep, low-percentage passes to the WRs. The errant nature of Golson at this juncture makes scheming quick stuff to the TE and tailback ideal for building some rhythm in the young guy. Whereas with Alabama, I think ND is a team very ideally built to take us on. I think the 2010 Auburn offense and 2006/2008 Florida offense would have been a tougher SEC matchup for this team...they'd be able to function better in personnel that gets some of ND's best personnel of the field. Our best kind of encourages them to play their best.
    I just hope I don't get as tired of seeing their big tight end (Eifert?) as I did Jason Witten several years ago...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Suspended
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I just hope I don't get as tired of seeing their big tight end (Eifert?) as I did Jason Witten several years ago...
    Look for Bama to Topple The Eifert Tower

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yep, Eifert is the TE. Riddick is the tailback. I think they're the pressure points at the advantage of Notre Dame. Daniels and Jones are decent WRs but I think TAMU and UGA's WRs are easily much better than them. Heck, I think Landry and Beckham might be more talented but their production hasn't been there with LSU's work-in-progress offense.

They split Riddick out wide quite a bit which gives them formation multiples with personnel that actually do more than create spacing (which is often the case when we flex TE and tailbacks). They will split him out and actually look to throw it to him as a primary. The same for Eifert when out there on the perimeter. They aren't just trying to take their WRs off your best corners, they like the matchup against your perimeter guys. Riddick was a solid WR for them in 2010 and 2011 before switching to tailback late last year. Overall, it makes for all-around good matchups because their true WRs get on the 3rd corner and they can trust Riddick and Eifert out there to run good routes.

Still, I think the biggest gains will end up being found within their true positions. There are bigger mismatches to be found by getting matched on a rush OLB or safety by Eifert and Riddick getting manned on an ILB in base formations out of the backfield. There is a reason why Saban shows them so much respect on offense. Golson isn't going to break out for 90-100 yards on the ground like Manziel, but he can make something out of nothing...so you have to respect gap assignments even in pass rush. They have good personnel for mismatching you in the passing game. Ultimately, they also run the ball well which allows any team to hang in a game.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Yep, Eifert is the TE. Riddick is the tailback. I think they're the pressure points at the advantage of Notre Dame. Daniels and Jones are decent WRs but I think TAMU and UGA's WRs are easily much better than them. Heck, I think Landry and Beckham might be more talented but their production hasn't been there with LSU's work-in-progress offense.

They split Riddick out wide quite a bit which gives them formation multiples with personnel that actually do more than create spacing (which is often the case when we flex TE and tailbacks). They will split him out and actually look to throw it to him as a primary. The same for Eifert when out there on the perimeter. They aren't just trying to take their WRs off your best corners, they like the matchup against your perimeter guys. Riddick was a solid WR for them in 2010 and 2011 before switching to tailback late last year. Overall, it makes for all-around good matchups because their true WRs get on the 3rd corner and they can trust Riddick and Eifert out there to run good routes.

Still, I think the biggest gains will end up being found within their true positions. There are bigger mismatches to be found by getting matched on a rush OLB or safety by Eifert and Riddick getting manned on an ILB in base formations out of the backfield. There is a reason why Saban shows them so much respect on offense. Golson isn't going to break out for 90-100 yards on the ground like Manziel, but he can make something out of nothing...so you have to respect gap assignments even in pass rush. They have good personnel for mismatching you in the passing game. Ultimately, they also run the ball well which allows any team to hang in a game.
    Riddick is a converted WR - Cierre Wood is also a capable back.

Niklaus is another big TE starting to come on for ND as well

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Will Notre Dame Even Score a Touchdown?

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Do we put CJ on him? He is a tough matchup for anyone.

BamaNation Third Team

Can any of you predict the board's reaction to an ND victory?
    No need to explain the verbiage after a Bama win.

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    Do we put CJ on him? He is a tough matchup for anyone.
    Probably won't be a matter of choice...

BamaNation All-American

Anyone who thinks ND can't beat us is a fool. Not saying they will but they can...and that's enough.

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by pluckngrit View Post
    how old are you?

just curious.
    LOl, let's just I can't get AARP to leave me alone, but I ain't dead yet!

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Will Notre Dame Even Score a Touchdown?

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    Anyone who thinks ND can't beat us is a fool. Not saying they will but they can...and that's enough.
    I believe they could, no doubt, but not with these stakes.

BamaNation Third Team

There's some good stuff here. We don't have any superstars but Eifert is legit. He's a wide receiver in a TE's body and his blocking is much improved. The other guys are solid. No blazers but they can make plays. Our offense will spread you out, or run plays that spread you out and in space they are effective.

Golson in space is bad news. I have to think Saban will try to keep the pocket small and contained. Golson's ability to recognize on the fly and get rid of the ball without turnovers is a must. That's a big advantage your having a seasoned QB. Kelly has pounded "no turnovers and no negative plays". Golson has known from the start if he wants to play, don't do either. He has thrown the ball away a lot over the year that more experienced qb's would have made a play. For the most part he's done okay.

The game strategies are going to be the best part, watching how the game unfolds will be fascinating. Both teams are good at making adjustments. One or two plays could be the difference.

EDIT: FYI - Riddick was a RB coverted to receiver converted to RB. If he was a half a step faster.....