ADMIN NOTE: Duranko’s Digest: Notre Dame – Alabama Preview (from UHND.com)

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I did not find his article over the top, he is a ND fan so good for them.

This team has played way beyond my expectations this year especially in the DB'S. The injuries Bama has suffered would have done in Most teams.

In a lot of ways this team is much different than any other CNS team & I think very special.

I know it sound homerism but I see this team rising in the same manner as Last year against a very good LSU team.

Congrats on your return ND but THIS team is on a mission.

I loved this one:

"All true students of stat know that the mean is pablum, while the MEDIAN is the red meat for the adult statistical palate."

Both the mean and the median can be misleading due to particular characteristics of the set of values to which they apply, but the arithmetic mean is the standard summary function for sets of values because the mean is dependent on the actual values within the set. The median is affected not by the values themselves, but by only the ordinal position of the values in the set when ordered. Values (outliers) that are radically different from the majority of values in the set may skew the value of the mean from the apparent center of the distribution of values, but the scope of the set can be adjusted to eliminate outliers if desired. The median value can also be very misleading if a set of values includes many members that are near the maximum or minimum value of the set and there is a large difference between the maximum and minimum values.

For example, if the Notre Dame offense in five games in a month scores 3 points, 3 points, 41 points, 41 points, 41 points, the median is 41, but the average is 26. Another team scores 3 points, 3 points, 7 points, 62 points, and 63 points and their median will be 7 and their mean will be 28. Using the median makes Notre Dame look 34 points better in analysis than the other team when the other team actually outscored the Irish in total points. In this case, the mean is more accurate and "mean"-ingful than the median.

I noticed that in the table of offensive output for the months of September, October, and November, Duranko uses the median value for the months of September and November, but his total yards value for October is actually the mean for total yards in that month. The median value for total yards in October is 396. Gotta keep the apples with the apples and the oranges with the oranges.
All that might confusing to them. You may want to go to Laymen's terms.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think one of the valid points in there that's being somewhat overlooked is that ND's offense (and Golson, in particular) has been on an upward arc over the course of the season, making some of those "raw" stats we've been citing not as relevant as they might seem.

He's right about Eifert being the key for them. He's a mismatch waiting to happen, but I'm confident Saban/Smart will come up with a plan to at least contain him.
at least in Golson's case, that's called "experience"; but he still has yet to face a defense anywhere near as good and talented as Bama's. Nor has ND's D faced an offense as good and balanced as Bama's. If Bama "shows up" (I don't mean just physically being there, for the ND homers who would like to take issue with that) on both sides of the ball, it's game, set and #15.

ND Philosopher

Dec 27, 2012
Just for the record, UHND is not "a top ND site."

I spend a lot of time obsessing over ND football, and reading just about anything I can on ND and, in particular, this game. I'm familiar with UHND. I wouldn't have had any interest in reading any UHND stuff. It's just no all that good.

The best free ND site, by far, is NDNation. The best pay site is Mike Frank's Irish Sports Digest. I confess I've never spent any time on the free board over there. After that would be the Rivals and Scout sites, and Blue and Gold Illustrated, which is linked to 247.com. A couple of other blogs that should be mentioned include Her Loyal Sons, and One Foot Down.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I would like to thank the staff here for reposting this article, which I may have otherwise missed. I found it insightful. Some of the more interesting pre-game analysis I read.

Just for old time's sake, I would like to quote from some of the more illuminating bits:

McCarron? he’s good, but not transcendent. He has done well when the Tide runs well. Heck, we’ve faced the Purdue duo, Landry Jones, Nunes, Morris, Nelson, Sunseri, Rettig, Price. We faced a nice batch of quarterbacks. McCarron is not a clear knockout over many of them.
Amari Cooper is a great player, but we DID face down Lee and Woods. And the Oklahoma bevy of receivers was vastly better than the crew we will face on January 7th.
Saban/Smart have not had to face the Stanfordesque double TE packages that Notre Dame will throw at them.
No one, yet, has had the temerity to try to “outmuscle” Alabama’s defense.
Kelly/Martin will throw some of that at them.
And, my favorite bit:

Lacy and Yeldon are the best pair of running backs we will have faced all year. .... Nevertheless the Notre Dame front seven is America’s best.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Here is a sample of the lies and idiocy from the board. Pitiful. Plus this board looks like a BBS from years ago.

There are also references (on the board not in this thread), to steroid use, the heat and humidity, the layoff,that the Bama players are stupid, etc. all contributing to their defeat. Pretty much what I would expect from college footballs self proclaimed elite.

Obviously, they need to cut players to make room for the extra 30+ recruits they get. That is a significant advantage. They get to eliminate their recruiting "mistakes," whereas ND carries the "dead weight" until they get a degree. ND's practice is good for the players, but not good for winning a national championship.

Can ND win a national championship without exploiting that loophole? Yes. But it is much more difficult. This incoming recruiting class will really help even the odds. These new recruits have a chance to make history.

But, seven SEC national championships in a row doesn't just happen by accident. It happens because they have a statistically significant increased probability to win them...because they exploit a loophole in the rules to the detriment of the athletes.
http://www.uhnd.com/bb/forum/index.php?action=main&forumid=6

Last edited:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
You should check out the uhnd forum - total meltdown, you don't have to read the threads, just skim the subjects. Warning: explicit language and surprisingly bad grammar for fans that believe most of us are uneducated.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Obviously, they need to cut players to make room for the extra 30+ recruits they get. That is a significant advantage. They get to eliminate their recruiting "mistakes," whereas ND carries the "dead weight" until they get a degree. ND's practice is good for the players, but not good for winning a national championship.
I wonder if we should tell them that our APR - which measures the Academic progress of all recruits, not just current players, and would punish you for "cutting" recruiting mistakes - for our football program is exactly the same as theirs, at 970?

:biggrin2:

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
You should check out the uhnd forum - total meltdown, you don't have to read the threads, just skim the subjects. Warning: explicit language and surprisingly bad grammar for fans that believe most of us are uneducated.
Pitiful.

These dopes bought hook, line, and sinker what the media tried to sell them and everybody else. Now that they've seen it, they refuse to believe it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.