ADMIN NOTE: Duranko’s Digest: Notre Dame – Alabama Preview (from UHND.com)

davidjanet

Dec 17, 2012
after reading this article, we shouldn't even head down to Miami. Maybe this poor guy need to relook at Mich St and USC in the bowl games. 34-10 Bama come about 11.51 PM Jan 7th. National Championship # 15.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I thought he made a good point about Eifert being a load to handle. However, bringing Michigan State into a discussion how their defense shutting down good offenses costs him a lot of creditability in my book. MSU was a sleeper preseason pick of mine, so I watched them - and their offense was just horrendous. Their QB was a turnover machine.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
But guys, nobody circles the wagons like the Fightin' Sioux! I thought this was a pretty weak analysis that didn't show much understanding of the X's and O's of big-time college football. Jess is much better. The truth is that ND will have to play beyond themselves to go toe to toe with Alabama and also keep their fingers crossed for some unforced errors on our part. I just don't see it happening.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Not the first five minutes I've ever wasted, but it will be the last on anything this guy writes.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
If only this scholar had spent a little more time trying to make us inbred trailer trash feel inferior with forced historical and literary references and less time worrying himself with Alabama's personnel...

I understand and appreciate trying to get the opponent's perspective before a huge game, but when it's unorganized, misappropriated garbage... You guys who have said it are right; we fans aren't in a position to realize how much higher quality, more objective Jess' writing is to most all of his peers.

JAXFLBAMAFAN

All-SEC
Nov 30, 1999
Jacksonville FL
Anyway this link can be deleted?
NO PLEASE DON'T DELETE save it for the bon fire that will contain all things Notre Dame .

Mods thanks for posting good reading material...the board was down to what color uniforms would be worn and what will next years uni's look like.

I actually read a thread on forcing MM into retirement....good grief.

So thanks for posting something of interest to read leading up to the big game!

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
"Ephermal Analysts"? "Werewolfiness"?

Lots golden platitudes flowing throughout - and Beware the charismatic El Diaco!

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Their offense's upward arc just coincides with when the schedule hit the weak point.
What upward arc?

They managed a good game against Oklahoma, and 38 against craptacular Wake Forest.

Pitt? 20 points in regulation against a team that lost to an FCS school.
BC? 21 points. Meh
USC? 22 against a team that gave up how many to Oregon, along with having to play a backup QB?

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
i am so thankful, for homers like this. it makes me feel so good about web site, and while we have a lot of faith, and pride in our tide, we do give credit where deserved. this person, doesnt even know that the spread has been 10 pts for most of the time from vegas. they probably have a better feel for a game than anyone, because they make their living at it. like many here, i just cant see bama at a disadvantage with them. their schedule, their only hero is a linebacker, and tight end. they do have a good qb, good rb, def line, but cant see any other problem areas. we shall see.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I loved this one:

"All true students of stat know that the mean is pablum, while the MEDIAN is the red meat for the adult statistical palate."

Both the mean and the median can be misleading due to particular characteristics of the set of values to which they apply, but the arithmetic mean is the standard summary function for sets of values because the mean is dependent on the actual values within the set. The median is affected not by the values themselves, but by only the ordinal position of the values in the set when ordered. Values (outliers) that are radically different from the majority of values in the set may skew the value of the mean from the apparent center of the distribution of values, but the scope of the set can be adjusted to eliminate outliers if desired. The median value can also be very misleading if a set of values includes many members that are near the maximum or minimum value of the set and there is a large difference between the maximum and minimum values.

For example, if the Notre Dame offense in five games in a month scores 3 points, 3 points, 41 points, 41 points, 41 points, the median is 41, but the average is 26. Another team scores 3 points, 3 points, 7 points, 62 points, and 63 points and their median will be 7 and their mean will be 28. Using the median makes Notre Dame look 34 points better in analysis than the other team when the other team actually outscored the Irish in total points. In this case, the mean is more accurate and "mean"-ingful than the median.

I noticed that in the table of offensive output for the months of September, October, and November, Duranko uses the median value for the months of September and November, but his total yards value for October is actually the mean for total yards in that month. The median value for total yards in October is 396. Gotta keep the apples with the apples and the oranges with the oranges.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.