Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

I've become fairly tired of the "Everett Golson will give Alabama's defense problems like Johnny Manziel" talk. Decided to look up the stats of Alabama's opponents. Below are the rushing stats for each Bama game alongside the opponent's season average. If the team had a QB with meaningful rushing stats, I include those stats to compare to Golson's.

Bama fans can use these stats to show why Golson will not cause problems, and ND fans will find one aspect of the stats to show where he'll cause problems, because that's why we use stats.

Team/Player Game Season Average
    Michigan 69 187
    --Denard Robinson 27 116.6 (10 games)
    Western Kentucky 46 181.7
    Arkansas 58 118.7
    Florida Atlantic 76 112.3
    Ole Miss 80 169.7
    Mizzou 3 138.5
    Tennessee 79 160.3
    Mississippi State 47 140.7
    LSU 139 179.9
    Texas A&M 165 235.1
    --Johnny Manziel 92 98.42
    Western Carolina 70 166.9
    --Sullivan (QB) 28 39.1
    Auburn 92 148
    Georgia 113 184.2

Everett Golson's stats are 89 carries for 305 yards, which average out to 7.4 carries a game and 25.42 yards a game.

Someone please explain to me why we should expect Golson to run for 92 yards like Manziel did. I would like to understand the logic behind the argument.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

Dude, you are including Golson's rushing totals from the first five games of the season. He has improved exponentially since then. If you take Golson's improvement and continue it along the curve throughout the off-weeks, he should easily be expected to rush for at least a buck-fifty.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

In December of 1952, I was led to believe Syracuse had invented football. And that Bama had never played a game.

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    Dude, you are including Golson's rushing totals from the first five games of the season. He has improved exponentially since then. If you take Golson's improvement and continue it along the curve throughout the off-weeks, he should easily be expected to rush for at least a buck-fifty.
    Quality of defense could explain it also.
    RTR!

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He hasn't improved that much... Level of competition got worse.
    ROLL TIDE!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Great chart, 91, but you've forgotten to include the variable of "magic" when playing ND. It's a great unknown...

"Um, that's just like, your opinion, man."

- The Dude

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Don't forget what Manziel did to Bama in the first quarter!!!! Don't pay any attention to the fact that he had 74 yds rushing in the first qtr and 18 rushing total in quarters 2-4. Forget that he had 87 yds passing in the first qtr and averaged 55 per qtr the rest of the game. Or that aTm scored 20 in the first and 9 the rest of the way. The tremendous dropoff in production over the final three quarters was obviously aTm taking their foot off the gas and NOT Bama adjusting to what happened in Q1.

Obviously, Bama never adjusted to what he was doing. And there's NO WAY that a Nick Saban staff would ever be able to figure out what went wrong and adjust for future games. They're just not that good on the defensive side of the ball.

And, of course, it's going to look like "the light came on" during Golson's final three games. ND played three really bad defenses in those last three games. The best being USC, who didn't rank in the top 55 in Total (63), Rushing (57), or Passing Defense (69). At the same time, if you look at his stats, Golson averaged the same number of rushing yards over the last 3 games as he did over the course of the season. His average yards per passing attempt did grow by 2 yards during the final three games; but so did his number of passing attempts per game (+2). Soooo, I dunno . . . I'm sure the kid's a good athlete. He's the QB for the undefeated, #1 team. But to think he's going to do to Bama what Johnny Football did in one quarter . . . I just don't see it.
    RTR

So Golson should have won the heisman then!? Ha, this stuff is rich. I cant wait for next Monday.
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    - General George Patton

REALLY, 150 yds. you are nuts, there is no way. the comp he faced was a joke and he still managed to get 74yds in one game ( the most he was able to get in one game in the 2012 season) against pittsburgh! what a joke. theo, sierra and everett together wont combine for 150yds. his stats did get better later in the season ( except that big fat 0 against WF) but yeah he's really good! note the sarcasm!

I think some of you might have missed the sarcasm in RJ14's post.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think some of you might have missed the sarcasm in RJ14's post.
    I must have missed it then. Haha
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

RJ14 needs to learn to use the emoticons. LOL. I got the sarcasm but still advocate for or or or to avoid any confusion.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I got it. However, RJ14's sarcasm is what many Irish fans believe, which probably why he posted it!
    RTR