Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 33
  1. #14

    Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    No serious ND fan is going to suggest Golson is going run against Alabama like Manziel unless he's just talking smack. Designed runs are few, mainly read-options based on the defensive set up. His running ability provides es-capability to extend plays, most everything else will be to keep the defense honest. Alabama's defense doesn't make a lot of mistakes so I can't see using Golson very much in that manner.

    IF Golson has 10 rushes, I would bet 6 of them will be where the play broke down.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #15
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    43,226

    Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    Quote Originally Posted by taddy View Post
    No serious ND fan is going to suggest Golson is going run against Alabama like Manziel unless he's just talking smack. Designed runs are few, mainly read-options based on the defensive set up. His running ability provides es-capability to extend plays, most everything else will be to keep the defense honest. Alabama's defense doesn't make a lot of mistakes so I can't see using Golson very much in that manner.

    IF Golson has 10 rushes, I would bet 6 of them will be where the play broke down.
    I agree with this. We've reached a point where we're not bad at all on the zone read offense. If he hurts us, it will be busted plays, as it was with Manziel. We've been promised over and over that we would be gashed by a mobile QB. It's only happened once, and that QB won a Heisman. I'd add that he could only keep it up for one quarter, until we adapted. I expect Golson to extend a few plays with his wheels. I don't expect him to beat us single-handedly. I'd also point out something overlooked most of the time about his OL. He has two OTs who are going to be high draft choices, if they come out early. That didn't hurt at all...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  4. #16

    Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    Good post and reps to the OP. No way Golson rushes for more than 70-80. But this isn't what Golson is asked to do. The best thing that Golson does is give us an extra element that must be schemed for on 3rd downs. The thing is, on 1st and 2nd down, he doesn't look to run, and that is not what we want. I want throw first, especially with an array of good WR's, a flex in Riddick, and an All-American first rounder in Eifert. I don't like run first, and don't think it provides good program longevity.

    Again, it is the third down/clutch runs that Golson provides. Look at some 3rd downs from OU, or watch this series of plays here...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_COGpgjaRU

  5. #17
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Posts
    17,511
    My Mood
    Sleepy on TideFans.com

    Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    OU isn't comparable to what Bama will bring. Lets try something else.
    ROLL TIDE!

  6. #18
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    19,852
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    Good post and reps to the OP. No way Golson rushes for more than 70-80. But this isn't what Golson is asked to do. The best thing that Golson does is give us an extra element that must be schemed for on 3rd downs. The thing is, on 1st and 2nd down, he doesn't look to run, and that is not what we want. I want throw first, especially with an array of good WR's, a flex in Riddick, and an All-American first rounder in Eifert. I don't like run first, and don't think it provides good program longevity.

    Again, it is the third down/clutch runs that Golson provides. Look at some 3rd downs from OU, or watch this series of plays here...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_COGpgjaRU
    That video showed me 3 consecutive plays where Pitt rushed 4, which allowed Everett-Johnny-Maziel Golson all day to throw the ball.

    You act as though Golson's mobility is something that Alabama has not seen. As I point out in the first post, Bama contained Denard Robinson and Sullivan from WKU. Manziel had success in the first quarter. A mobile QB isn't something new to Nick Saban or Kirby Smart. Many of the guys on defense played against at least one of these players: Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Jordan Jefferson or Tyrod Taylor. Bama has experience with mobile QBs.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

    Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

  7. #19

    Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    That video showed me 3 consecutive plays where Pitt rushed 4, which allowed Everett-Johnny-Maziel Golson all day to throw the ball.

    You act as though Golson's mobility is something that Alabama has not seen. As I point out in the first post, Bama contained Denard Robinson and Sullivan from WKU. Manziel had success in the first quarter. A mobile QB isn't something new to Nick Saban or Kirby Smart. Many of the guys on defense played against at least one of these players: Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Jordan Jefferson or Tyrod Taylor. Bama has experience with mobile QBs.
    With all due respect, three of those QB's beat you. Notice: I am not comparing Golson to any of those QB's. You just brought them up and, although Bama can stop a mobile qb, you picked three QB's that have beaten Bama.

    Golson is not D-rob. D-rob is not a dual-threat Qb. He is such an explosive player and I have so much respect for him, but he is a horrible passer. We specifically stayed back in coverage and contained him and let him throw us picks.

    All I am saying is on pass rush, the DL has to contain their gaps and be on the lookout for the run, especially on third down. He is not a run first QB, but has great speed and mobility to get a 1st down if necessary. As stated by a poster above, on play break downs he can move the chains. Against Bama? We will see.

  8. #20
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    19,852
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    With all due respect, three of those QB's beat you. Notice: I am not comparing Golson to any of those QB's. You just brought them up and, although Bama can stop a mobile qb, you picked three QB's that have beaten Bama.

    Golson is not D-rob. D-rob is not a dual-threat Qb. He is such an explosive player and I have so much respect for him, but he is a horrible passer. We specifically stayed back in coverage and contained him and let him throw us picks.

    All I am saying is on pass rush, the DL has to contain their gaps and be on the lookout for the run, especially on third down. He is not a run first QB, but has great speed and mobility to get a 1st down if necessary.
    Tim Tebow was 1-1 against Alabama. Second go around, Bama made him cry.

    Cam Newton was dead in the water prior to Mark Barron getting injured.

    Are you really trying to say Jordan Jefferson beat Alabama? Really?

    My point in mentioning the mobile QBs is that Everett Golson isn't going to be the first QB Alabama has faced that will pull down the ball and run. You mention containment and gaps. Saban uses a "mush blitz" against QBs like Golson. The pocket won't collapse, and he won't have lanes for escape routes.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

    Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

  9. #21
    BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UA
    Posts
    3,240
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

    Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think some of you might have missed the sarcasm in RJ14's post.
    lol. I was traveling all day yesterday so this is a little late, but yes, it was said tongue-in-cheek. I thought it was obvious enough that emoticons weren't necessary, guess I was wrong!
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

    -"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

  10. #22
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    5,754

    Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    Nice job RTR91! And, why do opponent's posters insist on teaching us how football is played?

    The Irish are beginning to remind me more and more of the Texas experts from a few years ago.
    Last edited by JPT4Bama; January 1st, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

  11. #23

    Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    Obviously bama can contain a mobile QB. They just weren't able to do it for 15 minutes against A&M. The other three quarters - Manziel not that impressive.

    I think we are talking past each other. I'm saying that it has to be schemed for, and in certain positions he can hurt a defense. I'm not saying he is going to shred Bama. But I bet he is closely being watched in the film room for that element specifically.

  12. #24

    Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    He hasn't improved that much... Level of competition got worse.
    I don't wish to impolite, but he has improved about as much during a season as anyone could possibly expect. In the first five games, he was not running the read zone at all, because the coaches were not confident in the reads he was making in practice. After his concussion, he spent a week on the sideline. Apparently, it did him a world of good, because when he came back the next week, he began to run the the zone read from six to eight times per game. He also began to make better, and of course, quicker decisions in picking out receivers or deciding to run. That spelled the difference between gaining virtually nothing and getting from four to eight yards on typical plays.

    He might not be nearly good enough to handle a game against your defense, but he's improved immensely as the season has progressed.

  13. #25
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Posts
    17,511
    My Mood
    Sleepy on TideFans.com

    Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    Quote Originally Posted by jerynd View Post
    I don't wish to impolite, but he has improved about as much during a season as anyone could possibly expect. In the first five games, he was not running the read zone at all, because the coaches were not confident in the reads he was making in practice. After his concussion, he spent a week on the sideline. Apparently, it did him a world of good, because when he came back the next week, he began to run the the zone read from six to eight times per game. He also began to make better, and of course, quicker decisions in picking out receivers or deciding to run. That spelled the difference between gaining virtually nothing and getting from four to eight yards on typical plays.

    He might not be nearly good enough to handle a game against your defense, but he's improved immensely as the season has progressed.
    Like is said, he hasn't improved that much. I don't doubt he has improved, but with the defenses he faced it gives one the appearance that he has "come around." I may be wrong, though.
    ROLL TIDE!

  14. #26

    Re: Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

    Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Like is said, he hasn't improved that much. I don't doubt he has improved, but with the defenses he faced it gives one the appearance that he has "come around." I may be wrong, though.
    This is fair. Oklahoma D nothing to write home about. The best defense other than that where I can say "yeah, EG really improved here?" I honestly don't really know. If you watch ND like I do, it is just something that you can see. But after Oklahoma, he really only faced Pitt, BC, Wake, and U$C.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!