Everett Golson's Rushing Stats Compared to Alabama's 13 Opponents (Including QBs)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've become fairly tired of the "Everett Golson will give Alabama's defense problems like Johnny Manziel" talk. Decided to look up the stats of Alabama's opponents. Below are the rushing stats for each Bama game alongside the opponent's season average. If the team had a QB with meaningful rushing stats, I include those stats to compare to Golson's.

Bama fans can use these stats to show why Golson will not cause problems, and ND fans will find one aspect of the stats to show where he'll cause problems, because that's why we use stats. :D

Team/PlayerGameSeason Average
Michigan69187
--Denard Robinson27116.6 (10 games)
Western Kentucky46181.7
Arkansas58118.7
Florida Atlantic76112.3
Ole Miss80169.7
Mizzou3138.5
Tennessee79160.3
Mississippi State47140.7
LSU139179.9
Texas A&M165235.1
--Johnny Manziel9298.42
Western Carolina70166.9
--Sullivan (QB)2839.1
Auburn92148
Georgia113184.2

Everett Golson's stats are 89 carries for 305 yards, which average out to 7.4 carries a game and 25.42 yards a game.

Someone please explain to me why we should expect Golson to run for 92 yards like Manziel did. I would like to understand the logic behind the argument.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Dude, you are including Golson's rushing totals from the first five games of the season. He has improved exponentially since then. If you take Golson's improvement and continue it along the curve throughout the off-weeks, he should easily be expected to rush for at least a buck-fifty.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Dude, you are including Golson's rushing totals from the first five games of the season. He has improved exponentially since then. If you take Golson's improvement and continue it along the curve throughout the off-weeks, he should easily be expected to rush for at least a buck-fifty.
Quality of defense could explain it also.

He hasn't improved that much... Level of competition got worse.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Great chart, 91, but you've forgotten to include the variable of "magic" when playing ND. It's a great unknown...

:rolleyes:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Don't forget what Manziel did to Bama in the first quarter!!!! :rolleyes: Don't pay any attention to the fact that he had 74 yds rushing in the first qtr and 18 rushing total in quarters 2-4. Forget that he had 87 yds passing in the first qtr and averaged 55 per qtr the rest of the game. Or that aTm scored 20 in the first and 9 the rest of the way. The tremendous dropoff in production over the final three quarters was obviously aTm taking their foot off the gas and NOT Bama adjusting to what happened in Q1. :rolleyes:

Obviously, Bama never adjusted to what he was doing. And there's NO WAY that a Nick Saban staff would ever be able to figure out what went wrong and adjust for future games. They're just not that good on the defensive side of the ball. :rolleyes:

And, of course, it's going to look like "the light came on" during Golson's final three games. ND played three really bad defenses in those last three games. The best being USC, who didn't rank in the top 55 in Total (63), Rushing (57), or Passing Defense (69). At the same time, if you look at his stats, Golson averaged the same number of rushing yards over the last 3 games as he did over the course of the season. His average yards per passing attempt did grow by 2 yards during the final three games; but so did his number of passing attempts per game (+2). Soooo, I dunno . . . I'm sure the kid's a good athlete. He's the QB for the undefeated, #1 team. But to think he's going to do to Bama what Johnny Football did in one quarter . . . I just don't see it.

rolltide1982

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 19, 2011
REALLY, 150 yds. you are nuts, there is no way. the comp he faced was a joke and he still managed to get 74yds in one game ( the most he was able to get in one game in the 2012 season) against pittsburgh! what a joke. theo, sierra and everett together wont combine for 150yds. his stats did get better later in the season ( except that big fat 0 against WF) but yeah he's really good! note the sarcasm!

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
RJ14 needs to learn to use the emoticons. LOL. I got the sarcasm but still advocate for :rolleyes: or :wink: or :cool2: or :rolleye2: to avoid any confusion.

:BigA:

taddy

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 25, 2012
No serious ND fan is going to suggest Golson is going run against Alabama like Manziel unless he's just talking smack. Designed runs are few, mainly read-options based on the defensive set up. His running ability provides es-capability to extend plays, most everything else will be to keep the defense honest. Alabama's defense doesn't make a lot of mistakes so I can't see using Golson very much in that manner.

IF Golson has 10 rushes, I would bet 6 of them will be where the play broke down.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No serious ND fan is going to suggest Golson is going run against Alabama like Manziel unless he's just talking smack. Designed runs are few, mainly read-options based on the defensive set up. His running ability provides es-capability to extend plays, most everything else will be to keep the defense honest. Alabama's defense doesn't make a lot of mistakes so I can't see using Golson very much in that manner.

IF Golson has 10 rushes, I would bet 6 of them will be where the play broke down.
I agree with this. We've reached a point where we're not bad at all on the zone read offense. If he hurts us, it will be busted plays, as it was with Manziel. We've been promised over and over that we would be gashed by a mobile QB. It's only happened once, and that QB won a Heisman. I'd add that he could only keep it up for one quarter, until we adapted. I expect Golson to extend a few plays with his wheels. I don't expect him to beat us single-handedly. I'd also point out something overlooked most of the time about his OL. He has two OTs who are going to be high draft choices, if they come out early. That didn't hurt at all...

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Good post and reps to the OP. No way Golson rushes for more than 70-80. But this isn't what Golson is asked to do. The best thing that Golson does is give us an extra element that must be schemed for on 3rd downs. The thing is, on 1st and 2nd down, he doesn't look to run, and that is not what we want. I want throw first, especially with an array of good WR's, a flex in Riddick, and an All-American first rounder in Eifert. I don't like run first, and don't think it provides good program longevity.

Again, it is the third down/clutch runs that Golson provides. Look at some 3rd downs from OU, or watch this series of plays here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_COGpgjaRU

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good post and reps to the OP. No way Golson rushes for more than 70-80. But this isn't what Golson is asked to do. The best thing that Golson does is give us an extra element that must be schemed for on 3rd downs. The thing is, on 1st and 2nd down, he doesn't look to run, and that is not what we want. I want throw first, especially with an array of good WR's, a flex in Riddick, and an All-American first rounder in Eifert. I don't like run first, and don't think it provides good program longevity.

Again, it is the third down/clutch runs that Golson provides. Look at some 3rd downs from OU, or watch this series of plays here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_COGpgjaRU
That video showed me 3 consecutive plays where Pitt rushed 4, which allowed Everett-Johnny-Maziel Golson all day to throw the ball.

You act as though Golson's mobility is something that Alabama has not seen. As I point out in the first post, Bama contained Denard Robinson and Sullivan from WKU. Manziel had success in the first quarter. A mobile QB isn't something new to Nick Saban or Kirby Smart. Many of the guys on defense played against at least one of these players: Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Jordan Jefferson or Tyrod Taylor. Bama has experience with mobile QBs.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
That video showed me 3 consecutive plays where Pitt rushed 4, which allowed Everett-Johnny-Maziel Golson all day to throw the ball.

You act as though Golson's mobility is something that Alabama has not seen. As I point out in the first post, Bama contained Denard Robinson and Sullivan from WKU. Manziel had success in the first quarter. A mobile QB isn't something new to Nick Saban or Kirby Smart. Many of the guys on defense played against at least one of these players: Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Jordan Jefferson or Tyrod Taylor. Bama has experience with mobile QBs.
With all due respect, three of those QB's beat you. Notice: I am not comparing Golson to any of those QB's. You just brought them up and, although Bama can stop a mobile qb, you picked three QB's that have beaten Bama.

Golson is not D-rob. D-rob is not a dual-threat Qb. He is such an explosive player and I have so much respect for him, but he is a horrible passer. We specifically stayed back in coverage and contained him and let him throw us picks.

All I am saying is on pass rush, the DL has to contain their gaps and be on the lookout for the run, especially on third down. He is not a run first QB, but has great speed and mobility to get a 1st down if necessary. As stated by a poster above, on play break downs he can move the chains. Against Bama? We will see.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With all due respect, three of those QB's beat you. Notice: I am not comparing Golson to any of those QB's. You just brought them up and, although Bama can stop a mobile qb, you picked three QB's that have beaten Bama.

Golson is not D-rob. D-rob is not a dual-threat Qb. He is such an explosive player and I have so much respect for him, but he is a horrible passer. We specifically stayed back in coverage and contained him and let him throw us picks.

All I am saying is on pass rush, the DL has to contain their gaps and be on the lookout for the run, especially on third down. He is not a run first QB, but has great speed and mobility to get a 1st down if necessary.
Tim Tebow was 1-1 against Alabama. Second go around, Bama made him cry.

Cam Newton was dead in the water prior to Mark Barron getting injured.

Are you really trying to say Jordan Jefferson beat Alabama? Really?

My point in mentioning the mobile QBs is that Everett Golson isn't going to be the first QB Alabama has faced that will pull down the ball and run. You mention containment and gaps. Saban uses a "mush blitz" against QBs like Golson. The pocket won't collapse, and he won't have lanes for escape routes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.