Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mosley vs. Te'o

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Mosley vs. Te'o

I was bored this morning and looked up the stats on Mosley and Te'o. I couldn't find a thread giving this information if I missed it my apologies.

Mosley 99 Tackles, 7 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, and 2 interceptions.
    Te'o 103 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and 7 interceptions.
    and Mosley has a TD as well.

They are pretty close, and Mosley doesn't play when the opposition goes to a power formation he subs out for bigger LB's. Te'o is an excellent player, but would not have received the hype he got without wearing a gold helmet. Mosley playing the same number of snaps as Te'o would dwarf Te'o's stats.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Mosley vs. Te'o

Te'o reminds me a lot of LSU's "honey badger" last year. His stats are on-par with other solid LBs in America, but they do not stand out in any category except one - turnovers. That doesn't make him better than his peers - just luckier.

Lester had 8 INTs his first year as a starter. He has had 6 in the two seasons since. Has he regressed?

Don't get me wrong, this guy is very good, he is just not the super-star that he has been made out to be.

BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Mosley vs. Te'o

I am curious as to the level of competition all those stats came from. Did Teo get those from Pittsburgh and Purdue or Oklahoma and USc?

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Te'o reminds me a lot of LSU's "honey badger" last year. His stats are on-par with other solid LBs in America, but they do not stand out in any category except one - turnovers. That doesn't make him better than his peers - just luckier.

Lester had 8 INTs his first year as a starter. He has had 6 in the two seasons since. Has he regressed?

Don't get me wrong, this guy is very good, he is just not the super-star that he has been made out to be.
    CJ is a tackling machine IMHO but since you mentioned HB compare LSU's Kevin Minter to Te'o.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RollinTider1335 View Post
    I am curious as to the level of competition all those stats came from. Did Teo get those from Pittsburgh and Purdue or Oklahoma and USc?
    Most of Manti's stats came in the big games (@MSU, U of M, Stanford, Oklahoma, USC, etc.)

12 tackles, FR against MSU. 8 tackles, 2INT's, caused 2 others against U of M. 11 tackles against Stanford and Oklahoma (pick and sack against Oklahoma as well). Int against USC.

He had a combined 24 tackles against Navy, Pitt, BC, and Wake Forest.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

no one is saying that Mosley is a slouch. The love affair with Teo IMO is more because of him being the best player on the #1 team. If Notre Dame was 7-5 this year he wouldnt get nearly as much media coverage

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonSEC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

The most telling thing about those stats is that CJ isn't an every down backer and, if I'm not mistaken, Manti is.
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Mosley vs. Te'o

Still I wouldn't take Teo over Mosley. Never liked one hit wonders.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Still I wouldn't take Teo over Mosley. Never liked one hit wonders.
    Te'o has 25 less tackles this season than last, and 30 less than his Sophomore year. Do you mean his increased Interceptions this year?

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

At this juncture I'd take Te'o over Mosley because Te'o is an every down player. Mosley is one of the best playmaking linebackers we've had under Saban but the guy hasn't been trusted in base yet by the staff in 3 seasons. Te'o was a deficient ILB in coverage until this season. I think the 7 INTs are somewhat fluky but he shed some useless weight and he's playing a half-step or so faster in his drops and trails this season. He kinda took the career progression of Rolando McClain. He came in as a guy who was an elite gap plugger from his first day on campus but he had to work on the technical and physical issues to become competent in pass coverage.

Mosley was always a unique guy to me even when they were recruiting him. He wasn't big, he didn't look like he'd ever get typical Hightower/Johnson/McClain type of big either. He was also a true ILB who didn't really have a place at OLB. The fact he's been such a huge factor for us surprised me a little bit.
    Last edited by rgw; December 31st, 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Mosley vs. Te'o

Stats only mean so much. When you have as many three and outs Bama has you don't rack up tackles.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Stats only mean so much. When you have as many three and outs Bama has you don't rack up tackles.
    I agree, but I think the same can be said about the ND defense. They've given up two TD drives of 60 yards or more all season and went 10 straight games without giving up such a drive. Either way, both are good players on good defenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Mosley vs. Te'o

Quote Originally Posted by athlete37 View Post
    I agree, but I think the same can be said about the ND defense. They've given up two TD drives of 60 yards or more all season and went 10 straight games without giving up such a drive. Either way, both are good players on good defenses.
    True. They work well in the systems they are in.