Offensive trends in Ncaa/NFL

Crimsonstain

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 13, 2005
Athens, Alabama, United States
It's seems that most teams in College Football are going to the option read with a dual qb. I noticed RGIII last night as well as Russell Wilson's success at Seattle in the NFL. I also know that Blake Sims runs it at Bama during mop up duties. How much longer will this trend last? Will it cause Bama to go with faster smaller linebackers? I know defensive players must have discipline and play their positions but last night, All pro de Demarcus Ware was clueless.

Like everything in the NFL, the trend will last until defenses catch up and counter. A big reason Wilson and RGIII have had success, on top of being very good athletes, is that coaches didn't have a lot of film, outside of college games, on them. The real test of their abilities will come next year when teams have had a full season of scouting on both players.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It's seems that most teams in College Football are going to the option read with a dual qb. I noticed RGIII last night as well as Russell Wilson's success at Seattle in the NFL. I also know that Blake Sims runs it at Bama during mop up duties. How much longer will this trend last? Will it cause Bama to go with faster smaller linebackers? I know defensive players must have discipline and play their positions but last night, All pro de Demarcus Ware was clueless.
Coach Saban was quoted recently saying the new style, speed up offenses has changed the game and he will recruit differently. I took that as faster, smaller LB's and DE's. We will see how it does change our recruiting starting in 2014 class.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
It's not a trend. It's basic football that's been around since forever, just in a different package. And when defenses catch up with it in its current presentation, some young offensive mind will find a different formation to execute the same principles and give it a new name.

About Ware's injury, Griffin played injured too. Ware's shoulder was injured, and Griffin's knee was/is injured. Ware's injury had NOTHING to do with his supposedly poor performance. If anything, Griffin's knee would have been better to use as an excuse as his when he did keep, he ran AROUND Ware (RG3's knee), not THROUGH him (Ware's shoulder). Further than that, I'm selling RG3 short by saying that Ware had a poor performance. In that defense, he was the guy that the QB had to read. And many times, Ware guessed incorrectly. But how could you blame him? The RB ran for 200 yds and 3 TDs for goodness sake! And Griffin's ability to do damage with his legs (even in a limited fashion) are well documented and to be respected. But I digress.

There's nothing new or revolutionary about these offenses. I don't doubt that the Charlie Wards, Eric Crouches, and even Kordell Stewarts of the world could have been successful in such offenses (as they could all pass and run effectively). It just took the NFL's collective mind frame to change and believe that a team could be successful with this style of player and maximizing the player's God-given talents (i.e. what's going on with Cam, Wilson, Griffin, etc) rather than try to turn a player into something he's not. You're failing if you're trying to turn Fran Tarkenton into Dan Marino. If a player is a scrambler naturally, while they're going through their progressions on a passing play, somewhere in their mind while standing in that pocket is the idea that they could use their legs to either get out of a jam or extend the play. But they tussle with getting yelled at by position coaches for doing that. I know that feeling first hand.

In any event, these offensive schemes are going nowhere. The players, however, as they get older will have to learn to rely more on their arms than their legs. That's where longevity comes into play. The only 2 examples I can think of that made this transition completely are Randall Cunningham (going from a magician in Philly to a flat out pocket passer in Minnesota) and Steve Young.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Coach Saban was quoted recently saying the new style, speed up offenses has changed the game and he will recruit differently. I took that as faster, smaller LB's and DE's. We will see how it does change our recruiting starting in 2014 class.
To expound on this a bit, I think he meant quicker/faster defensive linemen. He mentioned Dalvin Tomlinson (a 260 lb freshman DT who is incredibly quick and agile) specifically as one who would be able to help us in the future.

In terms of the smaller LBs, I think the Utah game in 2008 did that much. We HAVE to have guys who can cover man to man. This is something that Nico Johnson has struggled with his entire career here, and it's something that Mosley has thrived with, and for that his importance can NOT be overemphasized.

But it all starts up front. If we can get guys on the front 4 who can wreak havoc, everything on the back end becomes so much easier.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.