Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Bama vs. Wisconsin in the 2015 Cowboys Classic

Hopefully they'll avoid using those throwback unis from the Nebraska game.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC WylieTexasTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Bama vs. Wisconsin in the 2015 Cowboys Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Yes, Texas is down right now, but a random football fan is going to be more interested in watching Texas than Wisconsin.
    No way ANYONE woud play Texas in that stadium unless they demanded 45k tickets. The stadium holds 90k for college football. They give each team 30k tickets and the other 30k are given to PSL holders.(aka cowboys club seat owners) That would turn the stadium into 60k Longhorn fans and 30k opposing fans.

It's my understanding Wisconsin travels equal to or better than Michigan. I know they have a pretty large alumni group that gathers to watch the games in DFW. Therefore, I assume tickets will be as pricey or more than the UM game was this year.
    Last edited by WylieTexasTider; January 1st, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Well, yeah, I wouldn't play them in Jerry World, either, unless they made a return visit to Bryant Denny. My point was they'd really be a better TV draw.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

What most, if not all, of you are failing to realize is that these neutral site opponents are not being directly negotiated with by Bama. That is the responsibility of the sponsoring organization. Granted, Bama has a tremendous amount of input and can decline or accept the organization's choice of opponents. Obviously, when this game was first proposed, Wisconsin declined and then tried to negotiate directly with Bama for a home and home in 2015 and 2018. Bama was not receptive to the split-years series and declined that proposal. Neither Bama's nor Wisconsin's proposal decline was an emphatic "no, we're not going to play you", so the sponsoring organization got them back to the negotiating table.

BamaNation Second Team CaptainTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I'll bet you Wisconsin will be ranked in the top 15 when we play them. It'll be a good game. They're not a bad team by any means and I look forward to seeing this.

Suspended

Reading this thread on Alabama's prospects of playing Wisconsin a thought occurred to me: Does Alabama ever play outside the South? When is the last time they played a cold weather team actually at the place of the cold weather team?

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by mmboys07 View Post
    Reading this thread on Alabama's prospects of playing Wisconsin a thought occurred to me: Does Alabama ever play outside the South? When is the last time they played a cold weather team actually at the place of the cold weather team?
    Penn State 2011, though not in a cold weather month.

This question is an ND tautological argument: "only by playing north of the Ohio River in November can you be a national power. SEC teams don't, so they aren't." It's an invalid premise.
    Last edited by Isaiah 63:1; January 2nd, 2013 at 12:56 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by mmboys07 View Post
    As the previous poster said, we played @PSU last season. The cold weather thing is a complete non sequitur argument we here from the Big Ten crowd. First, the major OOC games are always played early in the season and it's hardly cold in the continental United States in late Summer. Second, the Big Ten doesn't even sign contracts with the three bowl games outside tropic or subtropic areas. The Big Ten doesn't seem too interested in playing "in their natural setting" when they have the contractual opportunities to do so. Why should the SEC go out of their way to play in the Idaho, Motor City, and Pinstripe Bowls against Big East and worse competition?

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    ...the Big Ten doesn't even sign contracts with the three bowl games outside tropic or subtropic areas. The Big Ten doesn't seem too interested in playing "in their natural setting" when they have the contractual opportunities to do so. Why should the SEC go out of their way to play in the Idaho, Motor City, and Pinstripe Bowls against Big East and worse competition?
    mmboys07 is taking about a regular season, home-and-home series, not bowl games. On the NDNation board I frequent, the "north of the Ohio River in November" trope is a recurring one. They give UTenn grudging respect for having done this numerous times, most recently in 2005 (a game I attended with my Domer friend and at which I cheered lustily for ND, who won handily). But it's a trope...
    Last edited by Isaiah 63:1; January 2nd, 2013 at 12:57 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

My point is it is near impossible for an SEC to play "north of the Ohio River" in the Fall/Winter because no worthwhile bowl is up that way and OOC games are played in late Summer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The Big Ten plays all their non=conference games before starting league play.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    The Big Ten plays all their non=conference games before starting league play.
    Exactly, as do most conferences. The opportunity to play a tough foe in another conference comes early in the season before conference play gets into full swing, which is why these match-ups tend to happen in September.

I applaud the Big 10 teams for playing the SEC in these OOC games and bowls. To be the best you got to beat the best and the only way to do that is by playing them of course. And by playing the SEC they are getting schooled on how to compete and are catching up. Look at the match-ups yesterday and how close. The Big 10 will pass the Big 12 as the second best conference before to long I predict.