Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Re: Orange Bowl rep to NIU: We didn't even want you here

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    He is Chris Carter?
    LOL - I wish that I had his bank account.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American bamabryan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    They deserve to be there as much as Alabama deserves to be in the BCSCG. They followed the exact same set of rules.
    They don't deserve to be there. Herbstreit was right. It's a joke. There are many more teams that are much more deserving of the Orange Bowl. I mean no disrepect to NIU, but they don't belong in the Orange Bowl.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar

They deserve to be there as much as Alabama deserves to be in the BCSCG. They followed the exact same set of rules.
    By losing to a 4-8 Iowa team?
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneGrad06 View Post
    By losing to a 4-8 Iowa team?
    You misunderstand - I did not say that they deserve to be in the BCSCG. I said that they deserved to be in their BCS bowl and played under the same BCS rules/formulae that put Alabama in the BCSCG.

They played very well last night - in the game and within a TD going into the 4th qtr. They simply didn't have the depth to hang with FSU.

You misunderstand - I did not say that they deserve to be in the BCSCG. I said that they deserved to be in their BCS bowl and played under the same BCS rules/formulae that put Alabama in the BCSCG.
    #1 vs #2 is kind of a no-brainer, regardless of rules.

That said, I'd argue that neither of those teams deserved a BCS bid. Rules are rules, yeah, I get it, and the conferences agreed to them - I get that, too. But the finances involved in the BCS games make a significant difference in how profitable a school / conference can be, so the current BCS rules are terrible. Neither of those teams deserved a BCS bowl over Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M or USEe.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    #1 vs #2 is kind of a no-brainer, regardless of rules.
    You would think so, but how many of these did we get before the BCS - so it was far from a no-brainer. The BCS is a great system in that it gives us that one game. In order to get that game, the fans sacrificed all the rest. For me, as an OSU fan and college football fan in general, it has been worth it. For Alabama or SEC fans - WOW!

You would think so, but how many of these did we get before the BCS - so it was far from a no-brainer.
    Nah, every bowl wanted it, but due to bowl-tie-ins it was often difficult. Yes, the BCS provided the obvious answer, and for that I'm thankful, but most of the rest of the rules are garbage.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

And did you just log in to insult me?
    ...... No!!! It was a yes or no question..... Up until you brought Bama into the equation, I thought you had some pretty good posts, then you told us on our board, how you really think.....
    I have but one life to give to my country, and I give it to The Crimson Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Orange Bowl rep to NIU: We didn't even want you here

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Nah, every bowl wanted it, but due to bowl-tie-ins it was often difficult. Yes, the BCS provided the obvious answer, and for that I'm thankful, but most of the rest of the rules are garbage.
    That's basically all they wanted was the obvious answer. They were short-sighted on everything else. But nobody back then knew the SEC would be this dominant.
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForever1 View Post
    ...... No!!! It was a yes or no question..... Up until you brought Bama into the equation, I thought you had some pretty good posts, then you told us on our board, how you really think.....
    You are looking for a reason to feel insulted where nothing exists. You are reading things into that post that are not there. That isn't on me, and it isn't a reflection of my thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    That's basically all they wanted was the obvious answer. They were short-sighted on everything else. But nobody back then knew the SEC would be this dominant.
    Great point - for decades the "power" had been well distributed across the "BCS" conferences. While the specific BCS team selection process has always been a mess, the biggest culprit has always been the Rose Bowl. They really messed up some great possible games with their PAC/B1G alignment. But no one really cared until recently, when the power shifted to the SEC and the other conferences fell off so precipitously. Now the top 10 is dominated by one conference, so many great teams are left out by a deal that only allows 2 teams/conference "in".

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

For me, the final score had no bearing on determining if NIU "belonged" their or not. I watched that entire game and for about 85% of the game NIU couldn't hardly muster up enough to physically challenge FSU on most plays. It was embarrassing to say the least. Thank goodness FSU was as inconsistent as they were in execution or this game would have been 31-3 at the half. I'm not sure if the game was sold out or not but from several camera shots there were a ton of empty seats.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

They played very well last night - in the game and within a TD going into the 4th qtr. They simply didn't have the depth to hang with FSU.
    You and I watched different games last night. The NIU team I saw was manhandled most of the game. A team averaging around 40 points a game scores only 10 points, and Lynch gets only 44 yards rushing when he had been averaging 3 times that amount. From a purely football standpoint, NIU proved itself to be a decent homecoming opponent for most of the big time football programs.