Link: Orange Bowl rep to NIU: We didn't even want you here

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And NIU fans and alumni loved the product.

We will never have a system that pleases everyone.
If we're going to basically openly admit that we're not concerned with whether someone has played enough quality opponents to deserve being in a marquee bowl or not. Then I'd rather take the route of picking two teams who would fill the seats and bring the most money to the city and the game. I could promise you putting a 10-2 LSU team against that FSU team last night would have packed the stadium out, brought a ton more ratings, and millions on top of millions of more dollars to those financially invested. And by default would have put two teams more equally matched from a talent standpoint.

But rather we want to try to create the next feel good, "Cinderella" story at every turn and when it doesn't work out we get what we got last night. Which is a total bust and a huge financial swing and miss for those who stood to benefit from the game.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Sure, but my point remains the same - I would much rather have these games along with the BCSCG than better bowl matchups with no #1 vs #2 game. My second point - NIU got there following the same rules that put FSU, Wisconson and Louisville in these bowls. In fact, NIU was ranked higher than two of those teams using the same formula that has Alabama ranked #2 and playing in the BCSCG.
What you say is true. However, Alabama's ranking is legitimate, NIU's is not. NIU magically jumped to #16 the last week of the season. Let's not forget you have to be ranked at least #16 to get an at-large bid for a non-AQ school. The voters knew exactly what they were doing, so let's not make it seem like NIU earned it.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
I'm glad FSU won but wish they had scored 20 or 30 more points.

Main takeaway for me is to want no part of Jimbo Fisher or his offensive staff to be in consideration for future coaching positions at Alabama. Lessee... The FSU line outweighed NIU's line by roughly 50 pounds per man. So let's negate our obvious advantage in the ground game and focus on the air attack. Especially when we're 3rd and short... Rediculous!

FSU fans should be worried.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
My second point - NIU got there following the same rules that put FSU, Wisconson and Louisville in these bowls. In fact, NIU was ranked higher than two of those teams using the same formula that has Alabama ranked #2 and playing in the BCSCG.
I have no issue with the rules, but I do have a BIG issue with the human morons who voted NIU in the Top 16 simply because of their record. If the voters had simply looked beyond the number of wins and losses, NIU wouldn't have been anywhere near #16.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
If this offense is the future at FSU they should be worried. If they had just lined up in the I and ran at those pip squeeks this thing would have been over by the second quarter. Was Les calling plays or what. Anyway FSU looked disinterested and unconcerned. They farted around and still won by 3 scores. FSU looked bad. I think Western Ky would have beaten NIU by 14.
What a joke of a game.
I'm glad FSU won but wish they had scored 20 or 30 more points.

Main takeaway for me is to want no part of Jimbo Fisher or his offensive staff to be in consideration for future coaching positions at Alabama. Lessee... The FSU line outweighed NIU's line by roughly 50 pounds per man. So let's negate our obvious advantage in the ground game and focus on the air attack. Especially when we're 3rd and short... Rediculous!

FSU fans should be worried.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
If this offense is the future at FSU they should be worried. If they had just lined up in the I and ran at those pip squeeks this thing would have been over by the second quarter. Was Les calling plays or what. Anyway FSU looked disinterested and unconcerned. They farted around and still won by 3 scores. FSU looked bad. I think Western Ky would have beaten NIU by 14.
What a joke of a game.
At first I thought maybe FSU was just trying to keep the score from getting out of hand. Some of those offensive calls just didn't make sense. Then I remembered who their head coach is.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have no issue with the rules, but I do have a BIG issue with the human morons who voted NIU in the Top 16 simply because of their record. If the voters had simply looked beyond the number of wins and losses, NIU wouldn't have been anywhere near #16.
Remember, they lost their head coach before the game. That had to hurt, yet they were still pretty competitive.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
The preliminary TV numbers are in and this year's game resulted in a 44% rating increase over last year's Clemson vs West Virginia game. That's pretty surprising.

I guess the David vs Goliath storyline was more appealing than a blowout. Would be interesting to see the half-hour breakouts of the 2012 game to see if the blowout resulted in a lot of the audiences gradually tuning out.

Does anyone remember if the 2012 game had any other football competition on another network?

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Yep. I heard on the radio the other day that Liberty College is about to make the leap to FBS with their football program. There's just too many. There needs a to be a purging of some sorts.
next year Old Dominion, Georgia State, and North Carolina-Charlotte will make the jump. UNCC doesn't even have a team yet.

The preliminary TV numbers are in and this year's game resulted in a 44% rating increase over last year's Clemson vs West Virginia game. That's pretty surprising.

I guess the David vs Goliath storyline was more appealing than a blowout. Would be interesting to see if the half-hour breakouts to see if the blowout resulted in a lot of the audiences gradually tuning out.

Does anyone remember if the 2012 game had any other football competition on another network?
BCS games never have competition from another football game... it's a core factor of ESPN showing the entire package.

The increase is not surprising. Last year's Orange Bowl was on January 4th, taking it off the New Year's rotation (Granted, last year saw the New Years bowls played on January 2nd due to the NFL) where it had a big lead in opportunity. The game this year had the benefit of football on all day and leading right into things, including a competitive Rose Bowl game right before.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
What the heck has happened to the Orange Bowl? It is a crying shame how far it has fallen. From Virginia Tech and Kansas to a 70-33 West Virginia win over Clemson to that laugher last night. It used to be one of my favorite bowl games. Now, I just cringe when it comes time to announce the bowl match ups, because I know that that one will be one of the worst.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.