Poll: HOW the BCS should be?

Should the BCS reward the BCS TOP 10 only?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rewarding lesser teams BCS games is wrong period. The match-ups I provided would be what is suppose to happen. Where I work at I promote the best and pass out bonuses to those who excel. Why does the NCAA/BCS get it wrong by rewarding lesser teams and leaving teams like Texas A&M, LSU, and S. Carolina out of the picture. I have no problem with telling kids the truth and getting them in the real world. Rewards are for those who excel over all others. FSU, Wisconsin, Louisville, and others did not finish in the BCS Top 10. Too bad. We are teaching our children wrong. When they get to the next level and never play then reality sets in. They wonder why no one told them the truth about their chances in sports.

The smaller schools need the money. It's as simple as that.
What is your guys' problem? If you don't like it, don't watch it. But I don't see the problem in a school like NIU making money its conference.
Those teams like NIU will have to settle for bowls other than the BCS. Texas A&M, LSU, and S. Carolina all finished in the Top 10 of the BCS but are left out due to conference tie ins and BCS busters. Ridiculous. Now that Utah and TCU are in better conferences you will not see them near any BCS bowls. NCAA/BCS are bad teachers of rewarding the best.

"Originally Posted by runatl .
What is your guys' problem? If you don't like it, don't watch it. But I don't see the problem in a school like NIU making money its conference."

Not sure you understand. Tonight the Orange Bowl Committee is reporting lost revenue and the stadium is only 65 percent full of FSU fans. You do not see the problem? Seriously how about making an intelligent argument on why NIU deserves to go more than Texas A&M, LSU, and S. Carolina who all finished in the BCS Top 10. Do not get an attitude and fail to defend your position. Now I will ask you once more. What argument? What is your retort? Why is it OK to overlook better teams who earned it. WELL!

Last edited:
What is your guys' problem? If you don't like it, don't watch it. But I don't see the problem in a school like NIU making money its conference.
Provide a good argument. Why should NIU get a BCS over Texas A&M, LSU, and S. Carolina who finished in the BCS Top 10? Why should they get a lesser bowl? Just provide a good argument. Forget the attitude about watching the games. If the BCS/NCAA got it right there would be not discussion. If The BCS got it right the ratings and stadiums would be full.

Lets say you and two other people come in my office and you are the most qualified and for some reason I decide to hire the lesser qualified worker over you. Now I am paying for someone who is less qualified. Why would I do that. I would not. But yet you are saying its OK to hire a lesser qualified individual. Do not tell me its different. The Orange Bowl Committee wanted Oklahoma or Texas A&M and got a mess and lost revenue. Just look at the Stands in the Orange Bowl tonight. Come Monday Look at the Stands and the money that arrived in Miami. I dare you to say its not about the money. Bowl committees hate the BCS when things like this happen. FSU nor NIU should be in a BCS.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I don't believe that there is an argument for why A&M, LSU, or SC don't deserve a BCS bid other than there's only so many to go around and the SEC already had 2 spots. Besides, that's a separate argument, imo, since NIU took Oklahoma's spot.

My argument for why NIU deserves it's chance is right now. It's 17-10, NIU just recovered an onside kick and is moving. It's exciting. The best thing about the NCAA bball tourney is the first 2 rounds and the last 2 rounds. We all love the upsets and close calls and we love the big boy slug fests in the Final Four. The BCS has some of big time games in Bama-ND & KSate-Oregon. I'm enjoying watching these kids from NIU hang with a one time contender for the BCS title game. It's good for college football if it isn't great for the bottom line.

Edit: NIU just turned it over and got nothing out of their drive but they're still within 7 late in the 3rd. Hardly the slaughter that it should be if NIU was really so undeserving, imo.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The BCS should be #1 VS #2 --

Then let the bowl games select who then want, like the old system.

Alabama VS Notre Dame in BCSNCG

Sugar Bowl - Georgia VS LSU
Fiesta Bowl - Texas A&M VS Stanford
Rose Bowl - Oregon VS USCe
Orange - Florida State VS Kansas State

or something like that.....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The BCS should be #1 VS #2 --

Then let the bowl games select who then want, like the old system.
In the old system, most of those bowls had at least one conference under contract - and other bowls also had contracts with conferences. You would never have seen the games that you want to see.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
In the old system, most of those bowls had at least one conference under contract - and other bowls also had contracts with conferences. You would never have seen the games that you want to see.
Actually, the games I listed above had conference alignments:

Sugar (SEC)
Rose (Pac 10/Big 10)
Orange (Big 8 originally -- then the ACC right?)
Fiesta (Big 12)

So, Swap K-State with Stanford -- and all is well....

The Big 10 didn't deserve a BCS Bid this year (but maybe they can recruit Northern Illinois to join -- THEN I might reconsider ;) )

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't believe that there is an argument for why A&M, LSU, or SC don't deserve a BCS bid other than there's only so many to go around and the SEC already had 2 spots. Besides, that's a separate argument, imo, since NIU took Oklahoma's spot.
Heck, I'd argue that neither NIU nor FSU deserved a BCS bowl bid. I think the top 10 teams should get the reward of that kind of payout, not teams that are in due to some 'everybody gets a trophy' set of rules...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Actually, the games I listed above had conference alignments:
No - it would not have been even close to possible. Most bowls had contracts with conferences. The Rose Bowl would have been the exact same game, but the rest would have been very different from the games that you laid out.

The SEC had contracts with something like 10 bowls. SEC teams had to go to those bowls, even if a better bowl opportunity became available.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Heck, I'd argue that neither NIU nor FSU deserved a BCS bowl bid. I think the top 10 teams should get the reward of that kind of payout, not teams that are in due to some 'everybody gets a trophy' set of rules...
Agreed - it isn't a "deserves" thing - it is a BCS contract thing. Maybe only the top ten teams should play in these bowls, but I'll gladly take this system over what we had before the BCS.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Why does everyone seem to think that the samller non-BCS schools being in these games is good for the sport? Exactly how is it good for the sport? NIU brings no money or fan support to the table. They don't drum up any type of television audience or drive ticket sales.

What's good for college football is when traditional powers square off against each other. The highest rated games are always the ones between big time programs. It's always been that way and it will always be that way. We liked college football long before the Boise's of the world ever stepped foot on their blue turf and we'll like it long after.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Why does everyone seem to think that the samller non-BCS schools being in these games is good for the sport? Exactly how is it good for the sport? NIU brings no money or fan support to the table. They don't drum up any type of television audience or drive ticket sales.

What's good for college football is when traditional powers square off against each other. The highest rated games are always the ones between big time programs. It's always been that way and it will always be that way. We liked college football long before the Boise's of the world ever stepped foot on their blue turf and we'll like it long after.
Every once in a while a game like this propels a team into the "big time". The more that we expand the group of solid programs in college football, the better the product from game to game. The better question might be, how might it hurt the sport.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Every once in a while a game like this propels a team into the "big time".
Whether you can cite examples or not, I don't agree with this premise. Playing and beating big time schools on a regular, repeated basis is what propels a team into the "big time", not winning one game.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Until a small school has that anytime anywhere mentality and pays its due, I will always remain a CFB elitist. FSU did this and won their conference with a decent record. NIU played a weak schedule and lost to the only big school they played. The deserve the game based on the rules but their were many other schools that earned a better bowl placement by who they played.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Whether you can cite examples or not, I don't agree with this premise. Playing and beating big time schools on a regular, repeated basis is what propels a team into the "big time", not winning one game.
Yes, but where does it start? One great game can lead to opportunities to play other great teams. All that many need is an opportunity - a door opening just a crack to let them prove that they are capable of working hard enough to "belong". Sadly, just as some of these schools get their shot, they lose the coaches that got them there. What these schools lack is the money necessary to keep great coaches.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.