View Poll Results: Should the BCS reward the BCS TOP 10 only?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES it is Fair

42 73.68%
  • No it is not fair

11 19.30%
  • I do not know

4 7.02%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Re: HOW the BCS should be?

I don't believe that there is an argument for why A&M, LSU, or SC don't deserve a BCS bid other than there's only so many to go around and the SEC already had 2 spots. Besides, that's a separate argument, imo, since NIU took Oklahoma's spot.

My argument for why NIU deserves it's chance is right now. It's 17-10, NIU just recovered an onside kick and is moving. It's exciting. The best thing about the NCAA bball tourney is the first 2 rounds and the last 2 rounds. We all love the upsets and close calls and we love the big boy slug fests in the Final Four. The BCS has some of big time games in Bama-ND & KSate-Oregon. I'm enjoying watching these kids from NIU hang with a one time contender for the BCS title game. It's good for college football if it isn't great for the bottom line.

Edit: NIU just turned it over and got nothing out of their drive but they're still within 7 late in the 3rd. Hardly the slaughter that it should be if NIU was really so undeserving, imo.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

“I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at”
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

The BCS should be #1 VS #2 --

Then let the bowl games select who then want, like the old system.

Alabama VS Notre Dame in BCSNCG

Sugar Bowl - Georgia VS LSU
    Fiesta Bowl - Texas A&M VS Stanford
    Rose Bowl - Oregon VS USCe
    Orange - Florida State VS Kansas State

or something like that.....
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    The BCS should be #1 VS #2 --

Then let the bowl games select who then want, like the old system.
    In the old system, most of those bowls had at least one conference under contract - and other bowls also had contracts with conferences. You would never have seen the games that you want to see.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    In the old system, most of those bowls had at least one conference under contract - and other bowls also had contracts with conferences. You would never have seen the games that you want to see.
    Actually, the games I listed above had conference alignments:

Sugar (SEC)
    Rose (Pac 10/Big 10)
    Orange (Big 8 originally -- then the ACC right?)
    Fiesta (Big 12)

So, Swap K-State with Stanford -- and all is well....

The Big 10 didn't deserve a BCS Bid this year (but maybe they can recruit Northern Illinois to join -- THEN I might reconsider )
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    I don't believe that there is an argument for why A&M, LSU, or SC don't deserve a BCS bid other than there's only so many to go around and the SEC already had 2 spots. Besides, that's a separate argument, imo, since NIU took Oklahoma's spot.
    Heck, I'd argue that neither NIU nor FSU deserved a BCS bowl bid. I think the top 10 teams should get the reward of that kind of payout, not teams that are in due to some 'everybody gets a trophy' set of rules...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Actually, the games I listed above had conference alignments:
    No - it would not have been even close to possible. Most bowls had contracts with conferences. The Rose Bowl would have been the exact same game, but the rest would have been very different from the games that you laid out.

The SEC had contracts with something like 10 bowls. SEC teams had to go to those bowls, even if a better bowl opportunity became available.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Heck, I'd argue that neither NIU nor FSU deserved a BCS bowl bid. I think the top 10 teams should get the reward of that kind of payout, not teams that are in due to some 'everybody gets a trophy' set of rules...
    Agreed - it isn't a "deserves" thing - it is a BCS contract thing. Maybe only the top ten teams should play in these bowls, but I'll gladly take this system over what we had before the BCS.
    Last edited by B1GTide; January 2nd, 2013 at 07:53 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Why does everyone seem to think that the samller non-BCS schools being in these games is good for the sport? Exactly how is it good for the sport? NIU brings no money or fan support to the table. They don't drum up any type of television audience or drive ticket sales.

What's good for college football is when traditional powers square off against each other. The highest rated games are always the ones between big time programs. It's always been that way and it will always be that way. We liked college football long before the Boise's of the world ever stepped foot on their blue turf and we'll like it long after.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Why does everyone seem to think that the samller non-BCS schools being in these games is good for the sport? Exactly how is it good for the sport? NIU brings no money or fan support to the table. They don't drum up any type of television audience or drive ticket sales.

What's good for college football is when traditional powers square off against each other. The highest rated games are always the ones between big time programs. It's always been that way and it will always be that way. We liked college football long before the Boise's of the world ever stepped foot on their blue turf and we'll like it long after.
    Every once in a while a game like this propels a team into the "big time". The more that we expand the group of solid programs in college football, the better the product from game to game. The better question might be, how might it hurt the sport.

Every once in a while a game like this propels a team into the "big time".
    No problem, then make it into the top 10. I've zero problem with deserving teams getting the pay day, NIU didn't deserve it (but again, neither did FSU).
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Every once in a while a game like this propels a team into the "big time".
    Whether you can cite examples or not, I don't agree with this premise. Playing and beating big time schools on a regular, repeated basis is what propels a team into the "big time", not winning one game.

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

HOW the BCS should be?

Until a small school has that anytime anywhere mentality and pays its due, I will always remain a CFB elitist. FSU did this and won their conference with a decent record. NIU played a weak schedule and lost to the only big school they played. The deserve the game based on the rules but their were many other schools that earned a better bowl placement by who they played.
    RTR!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    No problem, then make it into the top 10. I've zero problem with deserving teams getting the pay day, NIU didn't deserve it (but again, neither did FSU).
    Did you vote "no" by mistake?
    The Concord Blue Devils, 16-Time World Champions: 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin