DE Chris Jones Updates (Miss. State Commitment)

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I think we're going to get him, coaches aside, he is reconsidering his commitment and bama is knocking on the door hat not to make at least a visit. There is a clear difference in the programs and the opportunity may be too good to pass up.
Yeah it's like when you play NCAA football and a kid blows up late in the process and his leader is like SMU, one in home visit and a phone call and you're his new number one.

I honestly think Alabama is at that point unless you have a strong personal connection to the school or just don't want to play the position that Alabama is recruiting you at.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
The list of schools trying to get involved now with the new and improved Jones is endless, though Alabama, Florida and Ole Miss stick out for him. The new schools are all aggressive in their pitches to convince Jones to reconsider his commitment to MSU.

One Alabama assistant told Jones he was engaged, not married to the Bulldogs.

Jones has tried to stay as even-keeled as possible, and just takes it all in. He has consulted with his family and his mom encouraged him to take a visit to Alabama.

He says he’ll consider visiting Alabama, but is adamant in his commitment to MSU.

Interesting about his commitment and why it is so strong. He said a year and holf ago when he tranferred to his current HS his HC tried to get schools to come look at him. Only Southern Miss and MSU showed up. SMiss told him he did not possess the ability to play in Conference USA. MSU wanted him and got him. One of the reason he flew under the radar was he mainly was a BBall player and did not really focus on being a football player until a year ago. Also seemed to have transferred HS maybe more than once. 247 new ranking will have him ranked 5th in the country.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Jones would be more of a Jack LB. Also A take a make room for prospect
I tend to think Jones is a take regardless (though still unlikely to sign with UA), but he won't end up at Jack linebacker. He's already 6'6, 250 pounds, and yet to spend more than five minutes with Scott Cochran. He might get a quick look at Jack as a true freshman, but he would work his way to DE pretty quickly, and more likely he would begin his career there from the outset.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
I tend to think Jones is a take regardless (though still unlikely to sign with UA), but he won't end up at Jack linebacker. He's already 6'6, 250 pounds, and yet to spend more than five minutes with Scott Cochran. He might get a quick look at Jack as a true freshman, but he would work his way to DE pretty quickly, and more likely he would begin his career there from the outset.
Jason taylor was along the same lines as well. It all depends on what kind of freak you are. IMO he has a higher ceiling than big Rob who is #1 in the rankings.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Jason taylor was along the same lines as well.
No real physical comparison between those two. Taylor showed up to Akron at around 6'1 and 180 pounds ... he mainly played free safety in high school. Jones is already 6'5 and 250-ish, which is heavier than Taylor played at in the NFL (though perhaps a hair shorter).

Anything can happen, of course, but for now I don't see any reason to expect that Jones would stick at Jack if he signed with Alabama, and FWIW we haven't really been recruiting him as such. With that frame, he's probably got a slightly better shot at playing the end-tackle combo position.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
No real physical comparison between those two. Taylor showed up to Akron at around 6'1 and 180 pounds ... he mainly played free safety in high school. Jones is already 6'5 and 250-ish, which is heavier than Taylor played at in the NFL (though perhaps a hair shorter).

Anything can happen, of course, but for now I don't see any reason to expect that Jones would stick at Jack if he signed with Alabama, and FWIW we haven't really been recruiting him as such. With that frame, he's probably got a slightly better shot at playing the end-tackle combo position.
so missed my entire point. Also, one of my favorite player in the NFL is Mario Williams who is 6'7" 300lbs and played a Jack Lb role for Houston when they switched. Donta and Upshaw both played @ 265 or heavier. Just saying. Some players don't gain 50 pounds when they get on campus even at UA just saying

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Florida coaches were to visit Jones this week, and he called them and told them not to bother because he wasn't interested.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Florida coaches were to visit Jones this week, and he called them and told them not to bother because he wasn't interested.
More power to this kid and as much as I would love to have him at Bama, a part of me hopes he sticks with his commitment with the team that saw what he brought to the table when others were passing on him.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
More power to this kid and as much as I would love to have him at Bama, a part of me hopes he sticks with his commitment with the team that saw what he brought to the table when others were passing on him.
He is still thinking about visiting Us, *U, and Ole Miss...but says every time that it will not have any outcome on his commitment... This kid is going to be good, and seems to have a great head on his shoulders..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.