Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Big A retribution really did work! (Clowney sack / fumble)

after the bad call against Sou. Carolina (reff giving 1st down call in spite of ball not touching the stick) Clowney put extra effort in his tackle and they scored off the recovered fumble, should have humbled the reff, including the guy in the booth sending and confirming the call.Any thing worse than a lout, is two louts!
    "You don't have to have a good memory if you are truthful"

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: retrobution really did work!

That was the worst call I've ever seen. How does a ref miss seeing that the ball is short of the first down stick, and then it gets missed in the booth?

BamaNation All-SEC 37bamagreats55's Avatar

The ref should lose his job. I've seen some horrendous calls before, but that was quite possibly the biggest blatantly obvious blunder I've ever seen before. How do you miss something you're looking directly at?????
    Wow, just wow.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Not to be an SEC conspiracy theory starter here, but that crew just seemed way too over joyed each time they had to call a penalty against USCe and dang near let down when it went against Michigan.

I concur, how in the world do you look down at the ball and the sticks and call that a first down?
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Not to be an SEC conspiracy theory starter here, but that crew just seemed way too over joyed each time they had to call a penalty against USCe and dang near let down when it went against Michigan.

I concur, how in the world do you look down at the ball and the sticks and call that a first down?
    Somebody said they aren't judging against the stick, but against the first link on the chain that is welded to the stick. But I don't buy that explanation.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Somebody said they aren't judging against the stick, but against the first link on the chain that is welded to the stick. But I don't buy that explanation.
    Me either. I have seen that be called short of a first down literally every time it's happened before.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    And Jon Saunders and Gruden both said they never heard the rule to be interpreted that way. I agree with them. I've watched a ton of measurements and if the tip of the ball was not at the same distance or past the "stick" the ref would indicate it was "inches" short.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Clowney had another crushing tackle a few minutes later in the backfield. He is an amazing player - difference maker in every game.

BamaNation All-SEC 37bamagreats55's Avatar

And Jon Saunders and Gruden both said they never heard the rule to be interpreted that way. I agree with them. I've watched a ton of measurements and if the tip of the ball was not at the same distance or past the "stick" the ref would indicate it was "inches" short.
    To make matters worse, everybody was pointing and showing the ref he made a mistake and he still stuck with his call.
    Additionally, it wasn't like it was a third-down play (not that it makes the call any better), but this was a change-of-the-possession call that would have greatly impacted the game had Clowney not made what is arguably the best defensive play of the entire college football season on the next play.
    Scary to think that these refs have to make other calls that aren't as obvious as that one. I've never seen that egregious of a mistake.

My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

I agree 100%. You can't tell mw that big least crew was not biased.

Re: retribution really did work! (Clowney sack / fumble)

I don't think calling that a "sack" quite describes what happened. I thought for a moment
    that the runners head was still in the helmet as it rolled across the field.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by pensacolabay View Post
    I don't think calling that a "sack" quite describes what happened. I thought for a moment
    I was really surprised they didn't call helmet to helmet the way things were going for USCe.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by pensacolabay View Post
    "Winfield goes back to the wall, he hits his head on the wall and it rolls off"
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe