retribution really did work! (Clowney sack / fumble)

bobmack12champs

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Florence, Al. USA
after the bad call against Sou. Carolina (reff giving 1st down call in spite of ball not touching the stick) Clowney put extra effort in his tackle and they scored off the recovered fumble, should have humbled the reff, including the guy in the booth sending and confirming the call.Any thing worse than a lout, is two louts!

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Re: retrobution really did work!

That was the worst call I've ever seen. How does a ref miss seeing that the ball is short of the first down stick, and then it gets missed in the booth?

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

The ref should lose his job. I've seen some horrendous calls before, but that was quite possibly the biggest blatantly obvious blunder I've ever seen before. How do you miss something you're looking directly at?????
Wow, just wow.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Not to be an SEC conspiracy theory starter here, but that crew just seemed way too over joyed each time they had to call a penalty against USCe and dang near let down when it went against Michigan.

I concur, how in the world do you look down at the ball and the sticks and call that a first down?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

Not to be an SEC conspiracy theory starter here, but that crew just seemed way too over joyed each time they had to call a penalty against USCe and dang near let down when it went against Michigan.

I concur, how in the world do you look down at the ball and the sticks and call that a first down?
Somebody said they aren't judging against the stick, but against the first link on the chain that is welded to the stick. But I don't buy that explanation.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Somebody said they aren't judging against the stick, but against the first link on the chain that is welded to the stick. But I don't buy that explanation.
And Jon Saunders and Gruden both said they never heard the rule to be interpreted that way. I agree with them. I've watched a ton of measurements and if the tip of the ball was not at the same distance or past the "stick" the ref would indicate it was "inches" short.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Clowney had another crushing tackle a few minutes later in the backfield. He is an amazing player - difference maker in every game.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

And Jon Saunders and Gruden both said they never heard the rule to be interpreted that way. I agree with them. I've watched a ton of measurements and if the tip of the ball was not at the same distance or past the "stick" the ref would indicate it was "inches" short.
To make matters worse, everybody was pointing and showing the ref he made a mistake and he still stuck with his call.
Additionally, it wasn't like it was a third-down play (not that it makes the call any better), but this was a change-of-the-possession call that would have greatly impacted the game had Clowney not made what is arguably the best defensive play of the entire college football season on the next play.
Scary to think that these refs have to make other calls that aren't as obvious as that one. I've never seen that egregious of a mistake.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I agree 100%. You can't tell mw that big least crew was not biased.

pensacolabay

Nov 29, 2012
Atlanta
I don't think calling that a "sack" quite describes what happened. I thought for a moment
that the runners head was still in the helmet as it rolled across the field.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I don't think calling that a "sack" quite describes what happened. I thought for a moment
that the runners head was still in the helmet as it rolled across the field
I did to! LOL! Also, the hit sounded like a car crashing into another car. That will be the leading candidate for hit of the year in 2013. It's going to take a vicious hit to top that.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I did to! LOL! Also, the hit sounded like a car crashing into another car. That will be the leading candidate for hit of the year in 2013. It's going to take a vicious hit to top that.
That was an amazing hit and it sounded more like a movie sound effect than an actual noise. Brutal.

As fun as it is to watch CLowney play, it would be much more fun had he signed with Bama....

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
It was a lousy spot to start with. Shouldn't have been close enough to even need a measurement. And yes, the guy was wrong about what the rule is. No way that should happen ever. I've seen that happen from from pee wee flag football to the NFL. It wasn't a first down.

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004

It seems I have seen nfl games where the measurement is to close to call and the ref pulled an index looking card from his pocket to slide it between the football and the stick to see if the nose is touching the area of the stick. Seems unbelievable, but clowney rectified the situation. I thought the ole ball coach blew a gasket.

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004

PS That play reminded me of Biscuits' hit on Berlein (sp?). Looked it up on you tube afterward.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.