10 Worst Cars Sold in America

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
...according to the L.A. Times:

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-top-ten-worst-cars-pictures-new,0,2636913.photogallery

10. 1971 Ford Pinto uilt to a $2,000 base price, the subcompact Pinto lacks protection for its rear-mounted fuel tank. It earns a reputation as a fire-prone death trap and Ford pays out millions in judgments.

9. 1917 Chevrolet Series D Chevy's first V8 could only manage 36 hp -- less than the brand's four-cylinder engine. GM killed it after 1918, and the next Chevy V8 came a full 37 years later.

8. 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Diesel s bad as the 5.7-liter Olds diesel V8 was, the 4.3-liter version was worse. Sold only in the '79 Cutlass, the 4.3 diesel made 90 hp before shattering into shrapnel.

7. 1982 Cadillac Cimarron Shameful, cynical attempt to compete against BMW with a redecorated version of the front-drive, four-cylinder Chevrolet Cavalier. A self-inflicted wound that nearly killed Cadillac.

6. 1958 Edsel Corsair Ford goes hunting for a market niche that wasn't there with a redecorated Mercury that had been beaten with an ugly stick. The legendary flop of all automotive flops.

5. 2003 Saturn Ion Shockingly incompetent to drive and with a stupid interior to match. Kick it and your foot could get stuck in the gaps between the plastic body panels. Easily the second worst car of the 21st century.

4. 1971 Chevrolet Vega An engine that couldn't hold oil, in a car built with contempt for its buyers. It's the car that invited Americans to buy Toyotas and Hondas. However, it did make a good Pro Stock racer.

3. 1987 Yugo A Serbian-made version of the Fiat 127 that people thought couldn't possibly be as awful as its low price suggested. But it was!

2. 1974 Ford Mustang II Built upon the spindly bones of the Pinto, this shrunken, malformed pony is instantly appalling to Mustang lovers. And, unfortunately, hugely popular with buyers stuck with serial fuel crises.

1. 2001 Pontiac Aztek Drive one and you quickly realize that the Aztek's exterior design is its best feature. It's the very worst car of all time because it's the only car on the list to kill an 84-year-old car company. It's undeniable that the Aztek's utter hideousness drove the biggest and last nails into Pontiac's heavily side-clad, plastic coffin.

The author of this article evidently never owned a 1970 Ford Maverick.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
...according to the L.A. Times:

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-top-ten-worst-cars-pictures-new,0,2636913.photogallery

10. 1971 Ford Pinto uilt to a $2,000 base price, the subcompact Pinto lacks protection for its rear-mounted fuel tank. It earns a reputation as a fire-prone death trap and Ford pays out millions in judgments.

9. 1917 Chevrolet Series D Chevy's first V8 could only manage 36 hp -- less than the brand's four-cylinder engine. GM killed it after 1918, and the next Chevy V8 came a full 37 years later.

8. 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Diesel s bad as the 5.7-liter Olds diesel V8 was, the 4.3-liter version was worse. Sold only in the '79 Cutlass, the 4.3 diesel made 90 hp before shattering into shrapnel.

7. 1982 Cadillac Cimarron Shameful, cynical attempt to compete against BMW with a redecorated version of the front-drive, four-cylinder Chevrolet Cavalier. A self-inflicted wound that nearly killed Cadillac.

6. 1958 Edsel Corsair Ford goes hunting for a market niche that wasn't there with a redecorated Mercury that had been beaten with an ugly stick. The legendary flop of all automotive flops.

5. 2003 Saturn Ion Shockingly incompetent to drive and with a stupid interior to match. Kick it and your foot could get stuck in the gaps between the plastic body panels. Easily the second worst car of the 21st century.

4. 1971 Chevrolet Vega An engine that couldn't hold oil, in a car built with contempt for its buyers. It's the car that invited Americans to buy Toyotas and Hondas. However, it did make a good Pro Stock racer.

3. 1987 Yugo A Serbian-made version of the Fiat 127 that people thought couldn't possibly be as awful as its low price suggested. But it was!

2. 1974 Ford Mustang II Built upon the spindly bones of the Pinto, this shrunken, malformed pony is instantly appalling to Mustang lovers. And, unfortunately, hugely popular with buyers stuck with serial fuel crises.

1. 2001 Pontiac Aztek Drive one and you quickly realize that the Aztek's exterior design is its best feature. It's the very worst car of all time because it's the only car on the list to kill an 84-year-old car company. It's undeniable that the Aztek's utter hideousness drove the biggest and last nails into Pontiac's heavily side-clad, plastic coffin.

The author of this article evidently never owned a 1970 Ford Maverick.
i agree with the cimarron, but as the owner of a 1985 cavalier, i cannot for the life of me figure out why that car is not on this list. also the 1980 buick century and the 1986 olds cutlass. my brother and i had/shared/drove all of these cars at one point. every one of them was a worthless piece of crap.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I once owned a '79 Olds Delta 88 with the diesel engine. The engine was so crappy I had it removed and replaced with a short block Chevrolet 350. It ran like a dream until the transmission died. I also needed to have it inspected for registration in SC but all the repairs it needed were going to cost more than it was worth. I took the easy way out and traded it in on a new 2000 Mazda B2200 p/u.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
i agree with the cimarron, but as the owner of a 1985 cavalier, i cannot for the life of me figure out why that car is not on this list. also the 1980 buick century and the 1986 olds cutlass. my brother and i had/shared/drove all of these cars at one point. every one of them was a worthless piece of crap.
When I was in high school, my great grandmother let me borrow her cars when I needed to, and one of them was a Cimarron, I forget what year. Any car is better than no car, and at 16, driving around in a Cadillac, no matter how bad, made you feel like a king ;)

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Ford should bring back the Granada. I don't think there was ever a car that had as its purpose to end up stripped or burned out and left on the side of a highway.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I can't imagine a scenario in which i'll ever again buy an American vehicle. Ever.
Ford has actually partnered with Mazda and incorporated a lot of their quality controls. Notice Ford was the only company not to accept help from the government as well. I've had real good luck with Fords. Two explorers (wife has a new one), Taurus (lasted 13 years), and my son has an F-150. No real complaints other than normal wear and tear.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Ford has actually partnered with Mazda and incorporated a lot of their quality controls. Notice Ford was the only company not to accept help from the government as well. I've had real good luck with Fords. Two explorers (wife has a new one), Taurus (lasted 13 years), and my son has an F-150. No real complaints other than normal wear and tear.
Yeah, i've always heard good things about Ford trucks, but I'm not a truck kind o' gal.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The utter failures of foreign car manufacturers are not well enough known to even be recognized by most people.

Fiat Strada - The Titanic is less rusty
VW Trabant - major parts made of cotton and wood, no brake lights or turn signals

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I'm surprised the Land Rover Freelander isn't on there.

I was searching for a decent used car back in early 2009 when I came across a 2006 Freelander with 35,000 miles for sale for only $6,000. I did some research and that was a fairly standard price. Pretty odd for something that carried an MSRP of $30,000+.

Well I did some looking and usually around the 50,000 mark, the engines started falling apart. No thanks. Most anyone I know who's ever owned a Land Rover has told me they'd never own it past the 3 year mark. I never realized LR had such a bad reputation.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I'm surprised the Land Rover Freelander isn't on there.

I was searching for a decent used car back in early 2009 when I came across a 2006 Freelander with 35,000 miles for sale for only $6,000. I did some research and that was a fairly standard price. Pretty odd for something that carried an MSRP of $30,000+.

Well I did some looking and usually around the 50,000 mark, the engines started falling apart. No thanks. Most anyone I know who's ever owned a Land Rover has told me they'd never own it past the 3 year mark. I never realized LR had such a bad reputation.
A buddy of mine has had a Defender for about 20 years and it is still going strong. His dad just sold a Discovery that he had for about as long. I have no idea about the newer stuff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.