Question: Are other conferences/teams close to being good as SEC/Bama?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Don't hate the Big 10 -- that was my point -- what's there to hate?
Really - it is dripping from your post.

Now -- I do tire of the un-earned respect that most of the Big 10 feels entitled to.....
Have I ever done that?

With regards to the future -- the question was about what conference could challenge the SEC in the near future -- I said "Pac 10" you said "Big 10" -- and used Coaching as your justification -- I responded with your 3x Championship team just lost their Coach to our 7th or 8th best team.

Not sure how you think they'll challenge us soon
Not sure about "soon", or if it will ever happen. We are simply not as committed to college football up here as you are in the South. I was simply talking about the cyclical nature of the sport, and why the B1G is on the rise (relatively speaking).

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Only in their dreams. ND had a great year, but they didn't face SEC teams. ND is one of the top Independent football teams... THEN there's the Pitch and catch conferences which are always better than the SEC till they play somebody.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
I think that Stanford is the closest thing the west coast has to an SEC team. They are big, physical, quick, and play pretty agressive defense. They also like to run between the tackles.

I really don't think that any conference tops the SEC. The closest conference is probably the PAC 10 or 12, whatever they are called. I think they have SEC speed all over the field. If Texas A&M stays in the Big 12, they possibly win it (would beat Bevo, Kansas St., and will beat OU).

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
He didn't leave the B1G - he left Wisconsin. Why? Because Wisconsin has never paid its head coaches. Not sure why, but they just never have. We have a number of programs that are willing to pay top dollar for a great coach.

As for the lack of championships over the last decade or so - that is a part of the ebb and flow of this game. The SEC is on top right now, but that will change.

Don't bet on it. It all boils down to athletes and there are more of them per capita in the South than in any other area of the country. Don't believe it, check the rosters and recruiting lists of other teams outside the South and you'll see. The B1G in particular recruits heavily in the South, not so much the reverse. You can bank on it that Urban Meyer will be very heavily recruiting Florida, he has seen the speed and talent down there up close and he knows he will need to get some of it to get to where he wants to be.

mmboys07

Suspended
Dec 30, 2012
Nobody can match the coaching of the SEC? Are you kidding. Every coach in America except the guy at Georgia would have spiked the ball at the 15 sec. mark at the end of the Alabama game. Biggest choke I have ever seen. And Les Miles at LSU??
Everyone, even you guys talk about how bad he is.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Nobody can match the coaching of the SEC? Are you kidding. Every coach in America except the guy at Georgia would have spiked the ball at the 15 sec. mark at the end of the Alabama game. Biggest choke I have ever seen. And Les Miles at LSU??
Everyone, even you guys talk about how bad he is.
You could certainly add Derek Dooley, Joker Phillips, and John L Smith to the list of questionable coaches.

One thing about the SEC though, you either produce, or you're out. Les Miles and Mark Richt were both on the hot seat as recently as last year.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
[/B]

Don't bet on it. It all boils down to athletes and there are more of them per capita in the South than in any other area of the country. Don't believe it, check the rosters and recruiting lists of other teams outside the South and you'll see. The B1G in particular recruits heavily in the South, not so much the reverse. You can bank on it that Urban Meyer will be very heavily recruiting Florida, he has seen the speed and talent down there up close and he knows he will need to get some of it to get to where he wants to be.
I agree. It seems that since 2006, B1G teams have gotten a lot faster. The bowl games aren't the blowouts that they use to be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.