Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Louiville Cardinals
St Louis Cardinals
Stanford Cardinal?

Where's the "S"?

I noticed that Bama, Notre Dame, Tulane, Stanford and Syracuse are in a small fraternity of teams whose mascot name doesn't end in "S"

Alabama Crimson Tide
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Tulane Green Wave
Stanford Cardinal
Syracuse Orange

How many more are there?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Louiville Cardinals
St Louis Cardinals
Stanford Cardinal?

Where's the "S"?

I noticed that Bama, Notre Dame, Tulane, Stanford and Syracuse are in a small fraternity of teams whose mascot name doesn't end in "S"

Alabama Crimson Tide
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Tulane Green Wave
Stanford Cardinal
Syracuse Orange

How many more are there?
Harvard Crimson
Dartmouth Big Green

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Two of them are colors and two are geological events. Notre Dame is the black sheep of the group.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
The more puzzling question is why their mascot is a tree. Sure hope they don't ever play Northern Arizona (Lumberjacks). Playing any dog named team probably makes them nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLD

Aug 5, 2012
A few that I thought of...Illinois Fighting Illini...Marshall Thundering Herd...Harvard Crimson...Nevada Wolfpack...NC State Wolfpack...Tulsa Golden Hurricane. Also, a couple of MLB teams...Boston ed Sox and Chicago White Sox.

Georgia Tech can technically be put on the list since "The Rambling Wreck" is an official nickname of the school, but, as mentioned, it's a technicality.

Pro-teams (Because this is always a good trivia question):

NHL:
Minnesota Wild
Colorado Avalanche
Tampa Bay Lightning

Baseball:
Chicago White Sox
Boston Red Sox

NBA:
Orlando Magic
Miami Heat
Oklahoma City Thunder

Giant Squid

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2006
The more puzzling question is why their mascot is a tree.
From the Stanford athletics site:

There is no official mascot at Stanford University. The "Tree," which is a member of the Stanford Band, is representative of El Palo Alto, the Redwood tree which is the logo of the city of Palo Alto. Since Stanford University and Palo Alto are almost inextricably intertwined in interests and location, it is a natural outgrowth of this relationship. The tree still exists and stands by the railroad bridge beside San Francisquito Creek – it is the site where early explorers first camped when settling the area.

Stanford teams had been known as the "Indians" before dropping that mascot in 1972.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.