Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: SEC this bowl season

I think the way the SEC has panned out disappointingly thus far in the bowls is a blessing in disguise for Bama. Should not be any big head by our guys after watching the bowls so far, not that there would have been anyway, see the process. But if the SEC was romping and rolling through the bowls, complacency could sneak in.

Either way these other schools and conferences are slowly closing the gap between themselves and the SEC whether we like it or not. Florida and LSU have great talent, above 95% of the country, but both those teams have shown times of inconsistency and their losses are not really all that surprising if you go back and look at their schedule results. Lots of inconsistent play and close calls.

Bama went through a rough period as well, where we didn't execute with the same focus as we started out the season and ended it. But with the way we ended and the month layoff to get healthy and refocused I am not to worried that we will not be ready when game time comes especially with whats at stake. But that doesn't mean winning is a lock! Notre Dame will not give it to us without a fight for sure!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team GCtidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The LSU and FL games were disappointing performances for sure, but the SEC is 3 and 3 with ATM, Ole Sis and Bama to go.
    Last year the SEC went 6 and 3 which was an improvement over the 5 and 5 2010 bowl season. IMO, the SEC will have a good showing in the end. RTR

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We lost to Utah in the Sugar Bowl after the 2008 season and the last four years have been phenomenal. For alot of teams, a bowl game is a meaningless game and for some like Vandy, Louisville, Northwestern, etc. it is a championship type game . Some teams get up for it and some do not. I do not read alot into bowl games unless something is on the line. There is really only one bowl game that matters and that is the one we are plaing in.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dome View Post
    I must admit I'm alarmed at the relative success non SEC teams have had vs SEC teams this bowl season. Don't get me wrong I believe that Alabama is rightfully ranked as 1b, but I must say this bowl season has been a surprise even to me. Is it possible that the pundits that have predicted an Alabama blowout win will adjust to an Alabama close win? Does this give confident Bana fans that are certain of a blowout a little more to think about? All we've heard about from SEC fans is how unbeatable their conferences top teams are. To a point where rivals on mist days will root each others teams on for the sake of the conference. I'll admit,I find it weird to root for a conference and for rivals but such is the SEC.
    Somehow I don't think you're all that "alarmed".

My opinion on Florida and LSU in particular is they've lived and died by their defense this year and probably have been over-hyped based on who they are. Neither has much of an offense, anybody can see that.

Actually both Florida and LSU remind me a lot of Notre Dame, good defense, no offense. I'd put Stanford in that category as well. Standford got lucky in playing a poor Wisconsin team.

BamaNation Second Team GADAWG1980's Avatar

What many people fail to understand is the more time teams have to practice and prepare for an opponent the greater there chances are of being successfull. I always laugh at these fans from the big ten and these other conferences during bowl season. Whenever they pull an upset against a team from our conference they always say the same thing. The sec isnt that tough,wheres the big,bad sec now?? They talk about how every team in our conference is overrated and blah,blah,blah. They never take into account how much time they get to prepare for ONE opponent!! Of course(in most cases)the games are going to be a lot closer and more competive. Not only that teams from our conference are going to get theyre opponents best shot. They know beating an sec team in a bowl game is huge for them,especially for recruiting. Myself i always pull for the teams from our conference to win their bowl game. The main reason being,it doesnt matter who you are or whether you play in the sec east or west. The majority of the rest of the country looks down on us as a bunch of dumb rednecks that cant even spell our own name. Thats the main reason i love to see the teams from our conference dominate their opponents during bowl season. It really irritates the fans from these other teams to see their teams get it handed to them every year during bowl season(especially if its at the hands of one of these teams from the dreaded sec)