SEC this bowl season

Dr Dome

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
I must admit I'm alarmed at the relative success non SEC teams have had vs SEC teams this bowl season. Don't get me wrong I believe that Alabama is rightfully ranked as 1b, but I must say this bowl season has been a surprise even to me. Is it possible that the pundits that have predicted an Alabama blowout win will adjust to an Alabama close win? Does this give confident Bana fans that are certain of a blowout a little more to think about? All we've heard about from SEC fans is how unbeatable their conferences top teams are. To a point where rivals on mist days will root each others teams on for the sake of the conference. I'll admit,I find it weird to root for a conference and for rivals but such is the SEC.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Yeah, I'm really just....ugh. I'm not happy with the way the SEC has been playing in bowls this year. There's pride in the conference because for years we've played well out of conference, and particularly in bowls. The BCS titles has just been the icing. Coach Saban has preached something to the team that I think true Alabama fans believe.....respect your opponents, no matter what their record, what their rank. The moment you don't respect the team is the moment you underestimate them. While fans want a win, I'm sure the team is practicing their hearts out to get ready for the game, and honestly not thinking of "team SEC," trying to build a dynasty, or that they won the title last year.

Like saban said to all his players a week after the championship, "I think it's really, really important that the players understand, I mean I had a meeting team two days after the national championship game with next year's team and I said, 'You guys are not the national champs. You haven't done anything. Some of you played on the national championship team last year, but that team is gone. You need to understand that you're going to be the target for every team we play."

http://coachingsearch.com/home/769-nick-saban-i-hate-to-say-this-so-bluntly-aight-its-self-absorbed-people.html

Last edited:

Dr Dome

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
Yeah, I'm really just....ugh. I'm not happy with the way the SEC has been playing in bowls this year. There's pride in the conference because for years we've played well out of conference, and particularly in bowls. The BCS titles has just been the icing. Coach Saban has preached something to the team that I think true Alabama fans believe.....respect your opponents, no matter what their record, what their rank. The moment you don't respect the team is the moment you underestimate them. While fans want a win, I'm sure the team is practicing their hearts out to get ready for the game, and honestly not thinking of "team SEC," trying to build a dynasty, or that they won the title last year.

Like saban said to all his players a week after the championship, "I think it's really, really important that the players understand, I mean I had a meeting team two days after the national championship game with next year's team and I said, 'You guys are not the national champs. You haven't done anything. Some of you played on the national championship team last year, but that team is gone. You need to understand that you're going to be the target for every team we play."

http://coachingsearch.com/home/769-nick-saban-i-hate-to-say-this-so-bluntly-aight-its-self-absorbed-people.html
Coach is the coach he is because he gets that, but you're dealing with 18-21 year olds, and if the fan sentiment is any indication of the lack of respect for ND, an Alabama that is rightfully favored in my opinion, could play uninspired and as if they are not prepared to be hit back in the mouth after they hit. Could be trouble. I must say the Alabama fan base sure believes the SEC destroys all in its way, and that Bama is indestructible. I find it ironic when I read cries of "arrogant dormers".

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
SEC certainly hasn't lived up to expectations so far this bowl season. LSU & MSU wet the bed. USC pulled out a last-minute win. Vandy & UGA took care of business. And Florida's performance so far this evening has been embarrassing.

Hopefully Bama, aTm, and Ole Miss can hold serve.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
It is also a one game season for these teams and they've had weeks to prepare. The SEC is unique because of the level of competition from top to bottom week in and week out. No one has said these teams don't have talent. Charlie Strong is bringing an SEC mindset to his Conf. How's he been doing? Motivation does matter and these guys brought it for Louisville. I think some times folks put more meaning into these matchups than they should.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I thought the SEC would do well, but not because the teams are from the "big, bad SEC". Rather, I thought they'd do well because I felt like the matchups that SEC teams had in bowls were/are favorable. I thought LSU would handle Clemson and Florida would handle Louisville. Really I had no idea whatsoever about the MSU - Northwestern game. I'm not an SEC rah-rah guy. Like someone else said, if they win then fine... go SEC. If not, then better for our recruiting anyway.

I will say that Florida is embarrassing themselves with all the penalties and general thuggery.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I must admit I'm alarmed at the relative success non SEC teams have had vs SEC teams this bowl season. Don't get me wrong I believe that Alabama is rightfully ranked as 1b, but I must say this bowl season has been a surprise even to me. Is it possible that the pundits that have predicted an Alabama blowout win will adjust to an Alabama close win? Does this give confident Bana fans that are certain of a blowout a little more to think about? All we've heard about from SEC fans is how unbeatable their conferences top teams are. To a point where rivals on mist days will root each others teams on for the sake of the conference. I'll admit,I find it weird to root for a conference and for rivals but such is the SEC.
May I suggest you take your incredible wit and insight where it might be better appreciated?

If only you were half as clever as imagined. :smile:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thank you........my skin was starting to crawl......
Some just don't understand. We try to accommodate rival fans wanting a serious discussion. However we don't even allow extended sparring between our own member. And, in the end, this site exists solely for Bama fans...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.