JessN: BCS preview: Alabama fighting both the Irish and history

dulac72

Nov 30, 2012
We were the better team in 73. A fumble deep in Bama territory and a missed PAT along with gutsy play calling by ND was the difference. Turnovers are the great levelor for the underdogs so I'd say if we hold on to the ball on Monday night we'll be okay because again we are the better team.
Total yards for the "better" (and losing) team at the end of the first quarter: 0

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
a nod to the 40-, 50- and 60-somethings who still get a certain tightness in their stomachs at the mention of the year 1973.

Jess, I have always enjoyed your analyses but this one really summoned the ghosts you referenced in the quote above. Unlike many on this board I can't shake the demons from that game and the others before it (all of which I attended). While I really believe we are a better team across the board than ND, I know what can happen in the intangible department with this team. And i do predict we win, but my guess is the other 50+ something's are exactly where I am -- tight stomach and all! :D
Couldn't agree more. I am one of those "50 somethings" for whom the mere mention of Notre Dame causes revulsion. I think it is a good thing for our side that the current crop of players weren't alive in the mid-60s to mid-80s.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
You know I went watched some of the old replays of these games specifically the '73 rerun. No doubt, these were the 2 best teams at that time, but it was really difficult to watch the game given what you are used to seeing every Saturday in the fall these days. While watching, I remember thinking the pass defense for both teams was not particularly good - maybe for that era it was but certainly not now.

Occasionally, on this forum we get into the discussion of whether the 92 team 2011 team was better than the 66, 73, 78 teams. There is absolutely no way to do that comparison because I can say with complete certainty the 09 or 11 teams would absolutely kill any of those teams just based on the progression of the speed and physical development of players.

That's why I am so confident in our upcoming game - the ND mystique is simply no factor in this game. They have been irrelevant to us and the rest of CFB for so long - its now just simply 2 teams playing one another with us having superior talent and depth.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
You know I went watched some of the old replays of these games specifically the '73 rerun. No doubt, these were the 2 best teams at that time, but it was really difficult to watch the game given what you are used to seeing every Saturday in the fall these days. While watching, I remember thinking the pass defense for both teams was not particularly good - maybe for that era it was but certainly not now.

Occasionally, on this forum we get into the discussion of whether the 92 team 2011 team was better than the 66, 73, 78 teams. There is absolutely no way to do that comparison because I can say with complete certainty the 09 or 11 teams would absolutely kill any of those teams just based on the progression of the speed and physical development of players.

That's why I am so confident in our upcoming game - the ND mystique is simply no factor in this game. They have been irrelevant to us and the rest of CFB for so long - its now just simply 2 teams playing one another with us having superior talent and depth.
HOW DARE YOU CORRECTLY IMPLY THAT ATHLETICISM/SKILL LEVEL HAS DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED IN THE COLLEGE GAME OVER THE LAST 50 YEARS?

old white sports writers everywhere disagree.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.