Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Game preview from an ND blog

Decent read. If Barrett Jones is close to healthy, I feel pretty good about our offense. The one player I worry about is on ND's Offense. The TE scares me more than anyone.

Roll Tide Roll!

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2259 View Post
    Seemed pretty accurate and balanced. I don't buy into the point Bama is unable to sustain long drives. When all other elements of Bama's game plan are working, long, time-consuming drives are a hallmark of Alabama football.
    That caught my eye also, particularly after he'd said earlier in the article that our receivers were the least of their worries, because they'd done so well at containg the deep ball all year. Then he came out with this paragraph, which makes as little sense as anything I've ever read from a sportswriter:

Take a look at the chart below and you'll see Alabama is not good at sustaining methodical drives...because they've been so explosive on offense and haven't had to rely on stringing together long scoring drives with a ton of plays.
    This is tantamount to saying "X is a terrible boxer because he knocks everyone out in the first round..."
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

OFD's previews by position have been pretty good. I thought the quarterback comparison piece was weak and typical of the overly optimistic outlook on Golson.

Golson has huge upside and may very well develop into a first-round pick but at this juncture calling him even with McCarron is laughable. Hell, Golson could outplay McCarron in the game and he still wouldn't be better than McCarron.

I really don't see anywhere that Notre Dame is "better" than Georgia or LSU on defense. They just never play good offenses. The two "good" offenses they played one was without its starting QB and the other has been dimensional for a few seasons now (USC and OU).
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2259 View Post
    Seemed pretty accurate and balanced. I don't buy into the point Bama is unable to sustain long drives. When all other elements of Bama's game plan are working, long, time-consuming drives are a hallmark of Alabama football.
    Here's a good comparison - points per minute of possession:
    Alabama: 1.21 ppm
    Notre Dame: 0.82 ppm

That can keep their long, sustained drives, we score ~1.5x as many points per minute of possession as does ND while only holding the ball ~one minute less per game...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-SEC

I thought there was a weird disconnect when he said there will be emphasis on getting up the field with 4, and then he turned around and said there will be emphasis on eating blocks and gap containment.... which is it?

BamaNation All-SEC

Also.... let me get this straight.... Notre Dame's big advantage over Bama is that they can sustain long scoring drives, and they're 119th in D1 IN REDZONE TOUCHDOWN PERCENTAGE?! Does any one else see the flaw in that logic?

I guess the guy is saying that they'll have 13 play 7 minute drives and score from the 21.
    Last edited by cmmiller711; January 3rd, 2013 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmiller711 View Post
    Also.... let me get this straight.... Notre Dame's big advantage over Bama is that they can sustain long scoring drives, and they're 119th in D1 IN REDZONE TOUCHDOWN PERCENTAGE?! Does any one else see the flaw in that logic?

I guess the guy is saying that they'll have 13 play 7 minute drives and score from the 21.
    If you look at their stats, most of those long drives end in FGs...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by cmmiller711 View Post
    I think they're hoping they'll control the clock and keep our far-more-potent offense on the sidelines. Unfortunately for them, if the averages hold, they'd have to hold the ball for more than 36 minutes for those averages to allow them a victory (which would be almost six minutes less than we hold the ball and some four minutes more than their average...)

No matter how you slice it, the numbers aren't in their favor.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I think they're hoping they'll control the clock and keep our far-more-potent offense on the sidelines. Unfortunately for them, if the averages hold, they'd have to hold the ball for more than 36 minutes for those averages to allow them a victory (which would be almost six minutes less than we hold the ball and some four minutes more than their average...)

No matter how you slice it, the numbers aren't in their favor.
    It has to be sliced and diced with one of the little green Leprechaun slice and Dice machines! It's the only way to make it come out looking like their green!

'This Is Crimson Tide Football'
    Where The A Says It All!

ROLL~TIDE~ROLL
    This Above All: To thine own self be TRUE!
    [William Shakespeare - (Hamlet)]

Nd need Bama Qb to have a bad game; a good or above game and Bama wins; As good as they are upfront they are still going to be a lot of one on one matchups from selling out to stop the run. If Aj hits the openings, Nd is in for a long night. If he struggles, things could go ND way.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Game preview from an ND blog

I didn't see one reason other than a gut feeling that he thought ND would beat Bama. It was a good write up. He looked at past situations to suggest that because won in the past they'll win now. It just doesn't happen that way. It will take a lot of Bama mistakes to win just like all of Bama losses since 2008 for Bama to lose. Look at the most recent loss. It was just QB play. We turned it over enough in one game to last two seasons and we were still right there at the end. So if you think it's all about QB play you better look harder. It takes more than just someone running around after a broken play to beat Bama.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That caught my eye also, particularly after he'd said earlier in the article that our receivers were the least of their worries, because they'd done so well at containg the deep ball all year. Then he came out with this paragraph, which makes as little sense as anything I've ever read from a sportswriter:

This is tantamount to saying "X is a terrible boxer because he knocks everyone out in the first round..."
    Agree. He said a key to a Notre Dame victory would be to force Bama into long, methodical drives. Umm, if they do that, that's exactly why Bama will win