Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Recipes

Re: Self Scout - How would you attack Alabama?

Quote Originally Posted by NDinNYC2 View Post
    I hear you on the first part. It seems like you have to try and contain the Alabama run with 7 (or 8 at worst) so you have help deep. Otherwise, you'd need two NFL corners. Even then, you'd have your issues with tight ends, the screen game, etc.

I wouldn't blitz ND a ton either - I think it potentially creates an atmosphere for Golson to get creative with his feet as well as possibly simplifying reads (or at least it may simplify the play calls ND employs). I'd be inclined to try to confuse him with a variety of packages. In other words, I'd make him beat me with his decision making and accuracy as opposed to his athleticism.

Milliner can obviously cover as well as anyone but is he big enough to deal with Eifert? Seems like he's giving up 5 inches and 50lbs to an athletic tight end. If Golson places the ball well, Eifert should be able to win a few of those battles, correct?
    LOL! Milliner is 6'1" and probably an inch or so above that, from seeing him with other players, at 200lb or so. He is probably the #1 CB taken. I hope you're not maintaining that Eifert can't be covered by even an All American corner. The most athletic TE on earth is not more athletic than a first round CB, so that's where the difference is. I wouldn't be surprised at all if his vertical doesn't exceed Eifert's by 5" or more. Your offensive stats, particularly in the RZ, don't really indicate that Eifert is some sort of invincible force. It'll be an interesting battle, but I'm a long way from conceding that Eifert is non-defendable...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

On offense, get as many plays in the playbook as I can for the tight end. I think he's our best match up issue on that side of the ball. On passing downs, make sure the QB is aware of running lanes; Alabama is not always as disciplined as it should be. Do NOT challenge Milliner. Any receiver on VS is a mismatch.

On defense, hope that Nix can handle BJ at the point of attack and command a double team. This is really critical. I know that if Alabama can get a lineman to the second level, my LBs are going to be in big trouble with EL and TJY. Try to push BJ straight back. If Nix pushes left or right, TJY is especially good at cutting to the space he just vacated. Sell out especially on first down to try to keep Alabama in third and long and pressure AJM. Again, if Alabama's receivers have time to work routes, I'm in trouble. Whomever is covering Cooper gets help. AJM is hard to confuse at this point in his career, so we have to be aware that even if we think we've disguised a blitz, we have to assume he's read it and we have to pressure him if we bring it. If we have a turnover or if Alabama has a big return, expect first down to be a long pass, probably in the middle of the field.

On ST, punt the ball so that Alabama has to field it. That's been a bit of a weak point since the injuries. Try extra to hold them short of JS FG range. Foster is more likely to miss one from long range and CNS loves to try them from out there. That gives us a huge field position advantage and we need to do everything we can to get a short field as often as possible.
    Roll Tide

I hear you on the first part. It seems like you have to try and contain the Alabama run with 7 (or 8 at worst) so you have help deep. Otherwise, you'd need two NFL corners. Even then, you'd have your issues with tight ends, the screen game, etc.
    I haven't seen a team play with 7 in the box much against us (some have tried; UGA did it in the SECCG, but we didn't start attacking it heavily until the 2nd half, and then they adjusted and added an extra man. I think yall are better defensively than UGA. Most put 8 in there and if we use 2 TE a 9th guy normally walks up. I honestly think ND would be crazy to try to stop the run with only 7 in the box. Yall have size on the DL and with your LB's, but bringing the extra man affects blocking schemes, whereas 7 means we have the guys accounted for. On the flip side, I think Bama would be crazy to blitz a lot. I think that would invite a Manziel-like performance b/c it'd give Golson opportunities to run. I think we go back to the Michigan strategy, i.e. stop the run; make the QB beat you with his arm.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    LOL! Milliner is 6'1" and probably an inch or so above that, from seeing him with other players, at 200lb or so. He is probably the #1 CB taken. I hope you're not maintaining that Eifert can't be covered by even an All American corner. The most athletic TE on earth is not more athletic than a first round CB, so that's where the difference is. I wouldn't be surprised at all if his vertical doesn't exceed Eifert's by 5" or more. Your offensive stats, particularly in the RZ, don't really indicate that Eifert is some sort of invincible force. It'll be an interesting battle, but I'm a long way from conceding that Eifert is non-defendable...
    I do agree with the ND poster that Eifert is probably their best opportunity at creating a mismatch against us. I was thinking we might have CJ on Eifert and then have a safety shade to that side, but Milliner on him would be a fun matchup to watch. They'd essentially be looking at jump balls to him then and I'd prefer that to letting him get 5 yrd out routes against a LB.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    No, I understand that Milliner is a tremendous corner - quite possibly the best in America. And I'm not saying Eifert is more athletic than Milliner. What I'm saying is that Eifert is maybe 5 inches taller, 50lbs heavier and plenty athletic as well - which is why he too may very well be drafted in the first round. Kid can get up, knows how to high point the ball and has strong hands.

Point being - I think asking a great corner to cover a great tight end is a tough assignment, regardless of individuals involved. If Eifert can use his body to protect the ball and Golson can place the ball in the proper spots, I would think there are opportunities for Eifert to make plays. On the other hand, I'm sure Milliner can use his advantage with speed and quickness to beat Eifert to spots and try to negate the size advantage.

Not knowing much, I would have thought Alabama would try and jam Eifert off the line with their LBs and let Milliner pick him up if Eifert tries to get vertical.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    That won't work again.
    Only after a rock em sock em game like the Tide had against LSU the week before.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    This Alabama team is so sound, fundamentally, in every aspect of the game that all you can do is play them straight up and hope to out-execute them. Gimmicks and schemes will not get it done. Just do all of the little things right and hope that the ball bounces your way. Let's take a worst case scenario and say that Notre Dame is only capable of winning 1 of 10 games against Alabama - you have to make this that one game.
    You may be right. As complicated as football can be, it's also often just that simple.

No, I understand that Milliner is a tremendous corner - quite possibly the best in America. And I'm not saying Eifert is more athletic than Milliner. What I'm saying is that Eifert is maybe 5 inches taller, 50lbs heavier and plenty athletic as well - which is why he too may very well be drafted in the first round. Kid can get up, knows how to high point the ball and has strong hands.

Point being - I think asking a great corner to cover a great tight end is a tough assignment, regardless of individuals involved. If Eifert can use his body to protect the ball and Golson can place the ball in the proper spots, I would think there are opportunities for Eifert to make plays. On the other hand, I'm sure Milliner can use his advantage with speed and quickness to beat Eifert to spots and try to negate the size advantage.

Not knowing much, I would have thought Alabama would try and jam Eifert off the line with their LBs and let Milliner pick him up if Eifert tries to get vertical.
    Well, although it appears to be an impossibility, I guess we will just have to try to cover him, and my guess is with Milliner. Yes, he will get jammed, as will all ND's receivers. I'd guess by CJ at the line and then released to Dee...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Deion Belue. Deion Belue. Deion Belue. He scares the you know what out of me. He'll either make a nice play or get burned. Too inconsistent for my liking. Idk, maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    Retreat and fight another day...like, say, in 2048...

Seriously though, I would probably try to work a fast-paced offense with a lot of short passes, slants/screens, etc. to get my QB in rhythm. I would try very hard to avoid any WR screens where the receiver gets the ball behind the line of scrimmage (envisioning Madden say "You can't throw passes for none yards!"). We're too good against the run to work the inside run and then attack with play-action, so I'd go the opposite route. It seems to me that we've had the most trouble against QBs who have been accurate with short-to-medium throws on quick plays. Manziel had some ridiculously lucky slow-to-develop plays against us, but otherwise the plays that stood out to me were the 5-7 yard gains that came in rapid succession. If you have enough success on a drive to run 6-7 plays in rapid succession, any defense will get winded. The offense may be tired too, but they have the advantage of knowing the next play.

On defense, I'd try to run some new blitzes early, hoping that my corners/safeties can hang on for long enough and try to rattle AJ (physically rattled; I'm not sure he'll get very rattled from a few scary moments, just from pain). I think the bend-but-don't-break tactic is a reasonable move against our offense, although we are more explosive than in years past. Alabama is going to get yards against anyone, so you focus on not giving up the big plays and substitute out as much as possible to reduce fatigue when Alabama is grinding out long drives, both early in the game and late.

Perhaps I'm looking at things bass ackwards, but that's my casual-fan assessment of what I'd try to do.
    This sounds about right to me. Couple small points: on offense: what is it about WR screens behind the LOS that concern you in particular from an opponent's point of view? On defense - ND tends not to blitz too much. So that would be a bit of departure. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a few new wrinkles on that front. Can't just sit back and play 2-deep all day. It works against most teams because the D Line / OLBs can get pressure on their own but this Bama O Line is obviously a different animal. Irish will have to mix it up, at the very least.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Wow the coaches at Notre Dame must be getting desperate. They are going on Alabama message boards and trying to get ideas.
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    I think you have to try to create a mismatch with Eifert. Early passing will open up the running game. Also, with Golson's ability to extend plays, he can create problems. The only team that's been able to do this is aTm. Is Golson as good as Manziel? That remains to be seen.
    Early passing to open up with the run is a common theme from fans on both sides and analysts as well. If it's that obvious to us, it must be to Saban and Kelly as well. Having said that, I still think it makes sense. It may just boil down to whether or not Golson can be as accurate as he'll need to be to make that work.

Quote Originally Posted by peariver View Post
    Fast tempo with a quarterback named Johnny Football. It is the only way.
    Hurry up offense is our #1 enemy.