Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

Re: Self Scout - How would you attack Alabama?

Quote Originally Posted by Nolcbear View Post
    We are missing that dominant pass rusher.
    That's the one guy Coach S. has never been able to recruit, and NO, Dareus and Upshaw weren't "dominant" pass rushers.
    You put Clowney at right defensive end on our current team and they may very well have called the BCS Championship Game off because of lopsidedness

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I'd spread us out and use an up tempo offense. on defense, i'd load the box and force the pass. no way i'd let us win running the football

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I have never understood how we've consistently missed on a good rush end type. I think the 3-4 scheme scares them but truthfully Upshaw probably had his hand off the ground 10-15 times a season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Self Scout - How would you attack Alabama?

With a small militia...
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Nolcbear View Post
    We are missing that dominant pass rusher.
    They want to play in the 4-3. It's a hard sell to attract that sort of guy to the 3-4. Just a fact of life. Has nothing to do with Saban's recruiting power...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capnfrog View Post
    I would try to pick out a receiver that will be covered by a linebacker and make it my go to on 1st down. Delayed draws seem to work well and on defense pick out the players on OL playing injured and double team them to get to AJ. Barret Jones is gimpy so he should be a pushover. Blitz on 2nd and long and 3rd and long right smack over the gimpy center. Piece of cake.
    Not sure if trolling or just bad at subtlety

Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    Not sure if trolling or just bad at subtlety
    Badly done satire...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    They want to play in the 4-3. It's a hard sell to attract that sort of guy to the 3-4. Just a fact of life. Has nothing to do with Saban's recruiting power...
    The crazy thing is, like saban said in one of his December press conferences, we end up playing with 4 down about 80% of the time.

The other thing is there are dominant pass rushers in the nlfl who play in a 3-4. Harrison, ware, woodley, matthews, etc.

I'd try to scheme up a few plays with a TE split wide or as a slot receiver . Just be careful as what you see , pre-snap , is seldom what you get
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by peariver View Post
    Fast tempo with a quarterback named Johnny Football. It is the only way.
    That's not that far off IMO. Every loss since 2008 you can say the QB play has been the difference. Utah and 2011 LSU may be an exception. So much of the Utah game is just a blur as it's blotted from memory, but my sense was we got beat in every phase of that game. 2011 LSU we just couldn't punch it in or kick long FGs.

Mettenberger in the LSU game stayed in the pocket making several perfectly thrown passes with a 300 lb DL a fraction of a second from creaming him. Everybody, considering his previous play, were surprised by how well he played.
    Last edited by BigBama76; January 3rd, 2013 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1224 View Post
    The crazy thing is, like saban said in one of his December press conferences, we end up playing with 4 down about 80% of the time.

The other thing is there are dominant pass rushers in the nlfl who play in a 3-4. Harrison, ware, woodley, matthews, etc.
    I totally agree, but most of these boys are green and they're being fed lies by adults. Personally, I love that Saban first sits down with the parent(s) and discusses academics and the importance of getting a degree, etc. In the end, that wins and we don't get a lot of kids we're better off without. Let other teams lead the league (and nation) in penalties and arrests. (Believe me - there is a real connection...)

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigBama76 View Post
    That's not that far off IMO. Every loss since 2008 you can say the QB play has been the difference. Utah St and 2011 LSU may be an exception. So much of the Utah State game is just a blur as it's blotted from memory, but my sense was we got beat in every phase of that game. 2011 LSU we just couldn't punch it in or kick long FGs.

Mettenberger in the LSU game stayed in the pocket making several perfectly thrown passes with a 300 lb DL a fraction of a second from creaming him. Everybody, considering his previous play, were surprised by how well he played.
    Wow, you really did repress those memories. So much so, you changed our opponent.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    Wow, you really did repress those memories. So much so, you changed our opponent.
    You're right. I'll edit that to Utah not Utah State.