Self Scout - How would you attack Alabama?

NDinNYC2

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2012
At the risk of inviting responses like "pray," "hope they don't show up," etc. I am curious as to how you guys would attack Alabama on offense as well as defense.

If you feel as though you know enough about NDs schemes, personnel and tendencies to speak to this specific match up, great. But that might be tough unless you've seen ND play a lot over the course of the entire year and have great familiarity with their coaching staff. Otherwise, I think fans, even highly educated fans, tend to form opinions on other teams based primarily on statistics, highlights, one or two games, things they've heard / read and what they believe about their own team - with the last item outweighing all others. While that's worth something, I'm not sure that yields the best results - as you've seen with Alabama breakdowns done by ND people.

If you're like me, you tend to obsess over the negatives on your squad - injuries, players that have not developed as you hoped, areas where you've been hurt before, etc. - rather than sitting around and daydreaming about your strengths. For example, I spend a lot more time worrying about the right side of ND's offensive line than I do watching replays of jump balls Tyler Eifert hauled in this season. And that mentality can lead to an interesting perspective.....

Anyway, you know more than I ever will about this Alabama team. What would you do if you had to face them? What are the keys on offense / defense to competing and giving yourself a chance to win?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At the risk of inviting responses like "pray," "hope they don't show up," etc. I am curious as to how you guys would attack Alabama on offense as well as defense.

If you feel as though you know enough about NDs schemes, personnel and tendencies to speak to this specific match up, great. But that might be tough unless you've seen ND play a lot over the course of the entire year and have great familiarity with their coaching staff. Otherwise, I think fans, even highly educated fans, tend to form opinions on other teams based primarily on statistics, highlights, one or two games, things they've heard / read and what they believe about their own team - with the last item outweighing all others. While that's worth something, I'm not sure that yields the best results - as you've seen with Alabama breakdowns done by ND people.

If you're like me, you tend to obsess over the negatives on your squad - injuries, players that have not developed as you hoped, areas where you've been hurt before, etc. - rather than sitting around and daydreaming about your strengths. For example, I spend a lot more time worrying about the right side of ND's offensive line than I do watching replays of jump balls Tyler Eifert hauled in this season. And that mentality can lead to an interesting perspective.....

Anyway, you know more than I ever will about this Alabama team. What would you do if you had to face them? What are the keys on offense / defense to competing and giving yourself a chance to win?
It's not like there're a whole lot of ways to attack Bama, so everyone seems to come down to the same plan - try to crowd the box to limit the running attack and do your best to keep from getting beaten over the top. I'd be astounded at any other plan, after seeing it so many times. Against ND's offense, we'll use our regular packages. I doubt we'll see many blitzes until it's dictated. Also, I look to see Milliner on Eifert as much as possible...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This Alabama team is so sound, fundamentally, in every aspect of the game that all you can do is play them straight up and hope to out-execute them. Gimmicks and schemes will not get it done. Just do all of the little things right and hope that the ball bounces your way. Let's take a worst case scenario and say that Notre Dame is only capable of winning 1 of 10 games against Alabama - you have to make this that one game.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Retreat and fight another day...like, say, in 2048...

Seriously though, I would probably try to work a fast-paced offense with a lot of short passes, slants/screens, etc. to get my QB in rhythm. I would try very hard to avoid any WR screens where the receiver gets the ball behind the line of scrimmage (envisioning Madden say "You can't throw passes for none yards!"). We're too good against the run to work the inside run and then attack with play-action, so I'd go the opposite route. It seems to me that we've had the most trouble against QBs who have been accurate with short-to-medium throws on quick plays. Manziel had some ridiculously lucky slow-to-develop plays against us, but otherwise the plays that stood out to me were the 5-7 yard gains that came in rapid succession. If you have enough success on a drive to run 6-7 plays in rapid succession, any defense will get winded. The offense may be tired too, but they have the advantage of knowing the next play.

On defense, I'd try to run some new blitzes early, hoping that my corners/safeties can hang on for long enough and try to rattle AJ (physically rattled; I'm not sure he'll get very rattled from a few scary moments, just from pain). I think the bend-but-don't-break tactic is a reasonable move against our offense, although we are more explosive than in years past. Alabama is going to get yards against anyone, so you focus on not giving up the big plays and substitute out as much as possible to reduce fatigue when Alabama is grinding out long drives, both early in the game and late.

Perhaps I'm looking at things bass ackwards, but that's my casual-fan assessment of what I'd try to do.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I think you have to try to create a mismatch with Eifert. Early passing will open up the running game. Also, with Golson's ability to extend plays, he can create problems. The only team that's been able to do this is aTm. Is Golson as good as Manziel? That remains to be seen.

NDinNYC2

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2012
It's not like there're a whole lot of ways to attack Bama, so everyone seems to come down to the same plan - try to crowd the box to limit the running attack and do your best to keep from getting beaten over the top. I'd be astounded at any other plan, after seeing it so many times. Against ND's offense, we'll use our regular packages. I doubt we'll see many blitzes until it's dictated. Also, I look to see Milliner on Eifert as much as possible...
I hear you on the first part. It seems like you have to try and contain the Alabama run with 7 (or 8 at worst) so you have help deep. Otherwise, you'd need two NFL corners. Even then, you'd have your issues with tight ends, the screen game, etc.

I wouldn't blitz ND a ton either - I think it potentially creates an atmosphere for Golson to get creative with his feet as well as possibly simplifying reads (or at least it may simplify the play calls ND employs). I'd be inclined to try to confuse him with a variety of packages. In other words, I'd make him beat me with his decision making and accuracy as opposed to his athleticism.

Milliner can obviously cover as well as anyone but is he big enough to deal with Eifert? Seems like he's giving up 5 inches and 50lbs to an athletic tight end. If Golson places the ball well, Eifert should be able to win a few of those battles, correct?

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
That won't work again.
May not, but i believe that is the recipe to beat the tide. If (big if) I had the personel, I'd go up tempo spread short passes. IMO, we don't do great vs that. When on defense, I really have no clue. As said, Bama is very sound. I would stack the box, hold my breath and make AJ and the receivers beat me. Either way...hope I lose! :biggrin:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Attacking Bama's defense-You must be committed to the run even if you're not having success with it early. The Bama secondary can be, and has been, beat deep in one-on-one coverage especially vs the safeties. Boot legs and roll-outs as well as screens and draws will bring some success vs our 3rd down blitz packages but you MUST read where the blitz is coming from correctly. You must be patient and be willing to play field position.

Attacking Bama's offense-This is much tougher, imo. It begins and ends with stopping the run with your front 7 which virtually no one has been able to do yet for an entire game. Understand that our strength is between the tackle runs and force us to run outside where we have been less successful.

What you have to hope for: We outsmart ourselves (sometimes we get away from the run too much, imo) and that you can get an early lead on us.

What you must avoid: We get an early lead on you.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Okay...

Don't forget what got you here defensively. Keep the game "in front" of your second level by not crowding the box...but not to the point of getting beat by play action. Find a way to get pressure with your front 3 (or 4), but don't blitz too often...if so, screens will eat you up. If you think you have the depth, you want to force long drawn out drives out of our offense. The longer the clock runs, the better chance of a win you have. Don't play bend but not break between the 20's. If you allow us to get into the redzone, we'll score. You can't rely on having the best redzone defense in the country against such an efficient offense.

Offensively there are a few things that you can do to try and neutralize our defense. First, spread the field. No, don't try and go to a hurry up "spread" offense...but to take advantage of the defense, I think you need to get us in our nickel package. Identify where our nickel back is (whether db or safety), and try to get your best receiver matched up with him. If Sunseri is in the game, he struggle in pass coverage (just watch the A&M game). Take advantage of the mismatch if you can create one. Get Eiffert involved early and often. Find ways to get him covered in the slot by anyone other than Milliner or one of our better cover safeties, and he could cause problems. Don't abandon the run, and ALWAYS take what the defense will give you. If you slow down the game on both sides of the ball, it has no chance to get out of control. Even if the running game isn't having GREAT success, you have to stick with it. Also, as I said, make sure Golson has it drilled into his head not to force things...every yard is worth it's weight in gold.

Win the TOP battle, don't commit turnovers, and don't miss tackles...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
On offense:

- Pass on first down within in personnel that would dictate the most ideal run-stopping defensive looks. Alabama's #1 defensive goal is to stop the run on first and second down. Establishing the ability to pass effectively on first down - even if it is nothing more than 4-6 yard gains - puts a constraint on the defense and will open up the running game down the stretch.

- Move the pocket with bootlegs and sprint out passes. Don't allow the rush point to stay the same, force the defense to chase the passer and give him more time to find the weakness against blitzes.

- Attack the use of man coverage with crossing patterns and deep corner routes.

On Defense:

- Cover the interior linemen to prevent the zone double team concepts from developing. I've noticed one of the best ways to affect our run game is to take away the middle with a T-N-T front you'd find in the old 46 bear defense. Some have used slants to good effect but slants risk the chance of mis-guessing the direction of the run and get washed out of the play. Texas attempted this in the 2010 BCSCG and got burned quite a few times.

- Temper the rush to contain the screen game. Keep gap integrity and don't allow short passes turn into huge gains.

- Be aware of Cooper's alignment. He's the only deep threat currently, safety help should always be to his side.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hear you on the first part. It seems like you have to try and contain the Alabama run with 7 (or 8 at worst) so you have help deep. Otherwise, you'd need two NFL corners. Even then, you'd have your issues with tight ends, the screen game, etc.

I wouldn't blitz ND a ton either - I think it potentially creates an atmosphere for Golson to get creative with his feet as well as possibly simplifying reads (or at least it may simplify the play calls ND employs). I'd be inclined to try to confuse him with a variety of packages. In other words, I'd make him beat me with his decision making and accuracy as opposed to his athleticism.

Milliner can obviously cover as well as anyone but is he big enough to deal with Eifert? Seems like he's giving up 5 inches and 50lbs to an athletic tight end. If Golson places the ball well, Eifert should be able to win a few of those battles, correct?
LOL! Milliner is 6'1" and probably an inch or so above that, from seeing him with other players, at 200lb or so. He is probably the #1 CB taken. I hope you're not maintaining that Eifert can't be covered by even an All American corner. The most athletic TE on earth is not more athletic than a first round CB, so that's where the difference is. I wouldn't be surprised at all if his vertical doesn't exceed Eifert's by 5" or more. Your offensive stats, particularly in the RZ, don't really indicate that Eifert is some sort of invincible force. It'll be an interesting battle, but I'm a long way from conceding that Eifert is non-defendable...

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
On offense, get as many plays in the playbook as I can for the tight end. I think he's our best match up issue on that side of the ball. On passing downs, make sure the QB is aware of running lanes; Alabama is not always as disciplined as it should be. Do NOT challenge Milliner. Any receiver on VS is a mismatch.

On defense, hope that Nix can handle BJ at the point of attack and command a double team. This is really critical. I know that if Alabama can get a lineman to the second level, my LBs are going to be in big trouble with EL and TJY. Try to push BJ straight back. If Nix pushes left or right, TJY is especially good at cutting to the space he just vacated. Sell out especially on first down to try to keep Alabama in third and long and pressure AJM. Again, if Alabama's receivers have time to work routes, I'm in trouble. Whomever is covering Cooper gets help. AJM is hard to confuse at this point in his career, so we have to be aware that even if we think we've disguised a blitz, we have to assume he's read it and we have to pressure him if we bring it. If we have a turnover or if Alabama has a big return, expect first down to be a long pass, probably in the middle of the field.

On ST, punt the ball so that Alabama has to field it. That's been a bit of a weak point since the injuries. Try extra to hold them short of JS FG range. Foster is more likely to miss one from long range and CNS loves to try them from out there. That gives us a huge field position advantage and we need to do everything we can to get a short field as often as possible.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I haven't seen a team play with 7 in the box much against us (some have tried; UGA did it in the SECCG, but we didn't start attacking it heavily until the 2nd half, and then they adjusted and added an extra man. I think yall are better defensively than UGA. Most put 8 in there and if we use 2 TE a 9th guy normally walks up. I honestly think ND would be crazy to try to stop the run with only 7 in the box. Yall have size on the DL and with your LB's, but bringing the extra man affects blocking schemes, whereas 7 means we have the guys accounted for. On the flip side, I think Bama would be crazy to blitz a lot. I think that would invite a Manziel-like performance b/c it'd give Golson opportunities to run. I think we go back to the Michigan strategy, i.e. stop the run; make the QB beat you with his arm.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
LOL! Milliner is 6'1" and probably an inch or so above that, from seeing him with other players, at 200lb or so. He is probably the #1 CB taken. I hope you're not maintaining that Eifert can't be covered by even an All American corner. The most athletic TE on earth is not more athletic than a first round CB, so that's where the difference is. I wouldn't be surprised at all if his vertical doesn't exceed Eifert's by 5" or more. Your offensive stats, particularly in the RZ, don't really indicate that Eifert is some sort of invincible force. It'll be an interesting battle, but I'm a long way from conceding that Eifert is non-defendable...
I do agree with the ND poster that Eifert is probably their best opportunity at creating a mismatch against us. I was thinking we might have CJ on Eifert and then have a safety shade to that side, but Milliner on him would be a fun matchup to watch. They'd essentially be looking at jump balls to him then and I'd prefer that to letting him get 5 yrd out routes against a LB.

NDinNYC2

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2012
No, I understand that Milliner is a tremendous corner - quite possibly the best in America. And I'm not saying Eifert is more athletic than Milliner. What I'm saying is that Eifert is maybe 5 inches taller, 50lbs heavier and plenty athletic as well - which is why he too may very well be drafted in the first round. Kid can get up, knows how to high point the ball and has strong hands.

Point being - I think asking a great corner to cover a great tight end is a tough assignment, regardless of individuals involved. If Eifert can use his body to protect the ball and Golson can place the ball in the proper spots, I would think there are opportunities for Eifert to make plays. On the other hand, I'm sure Milliner can use his advantage with speed and quickness to beat Eifert to spots and try to negate the size advantage.

Not knowing much, I would have thought Alabama would try and jam Eifert off the line with their LBs and let Milliner pick him up if Eifert tries to get vertical.

NDinNYC2

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2012
This Alabama team is so sound, fundamentally, in every aspect of the game that all you can do is play them straight up and hope to out-execute them. Gimmicks and schemes will not get it done. Just do all of the little things right and hope that the ball bounces your way. Let's take a worst case scenario and say that Notre Dame is only capable of winning 1 of 10 games against Alabama - you have to make this that one game.
You may be right. As complicated as football can be, it's also often just that simple.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.