Red Zone numbers

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Biggest glaring stat I've seen to date about ND Alabama. Alabama is 2nd in red zone defense nationally, and ND is 119th in red zone TD percentage. Thats the difference in the game in my eyes.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
i can't find the stat on TD percentage for alabama's offense but Bama is 15th in red zone offense to ND's 3rd in red zone D
NCAA stats:
Alabama red zone O: 15th (score 89% of the time)
Notre Dame red zone D: tied for 2nd (allow scores 64% of the time)

Alabama red zone D: 1st (allow scores 63% of the time)
Notre Dame red zone O: 74th (score 79% of the time)

We're better in the RZ on both sides of the ball. It's close on D, but we're a good bit better on O. Looking for TD percentages for the offenses...

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Alabama's offense has had 57 drives into the redone (4.4/game) yielding 51 scores (30 rushing TDs, 11 passing TDs, 10 FGs).
Alabama's defense has allowed 27 drives into the redone (2.1/game) yielding 17 scores (9 rushing TDs, 5 passing TDs, 3 FGs).

Notre Dame's offense has had 58 drives into the redone (4.8/game) yielding 46 scores (18 rushing TDs, 9 passing TDs, 19 FGs).
Notre Dame's defense has allowed 33 drives into the redone (2.8/game) yielding 21 scores (2 rushing TDs, 6 passing TDs, 13 FGs).

NDinNYC2

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2012
Notre Dame's redzone offense has been a problem all year. Reasons for this are varied and cover a lot of bases - poor reads / accuracy by the QBs, sloppy route running from the WRs, questionable play calling (Kelly has a tendency to get cute near the goal line) and flat out bad execution. The USC game, in particular, stands out as an example where redzone follies made life more difficult than it should have been for ND.

Kelly himself pointed to a need for massive improvement in this area during the 45 day layoff before the title game. So it's no secret to anyone on the ND side. Did they do anything about it? Remains to be seen. But they'll have to take advantage of redzone opportunities to give themselves a real shot on Monday.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We also score alot outside the red zone, not allowing the defense to shrink the field. AKA Amari's TD catch against GA and AJ to TJ, vs LSU.
You weren't reading the commentary yesterday on the ND writer's article to the effect that that only proves we can't sustain drives... :D

How many times have we been in the red zone and ran out the clock?
Enough to lower the percentage significantly. When Ben Howell is running the ball for us you know the stat line is going to drop. I just wish he could have gotten in the end zone just one time.

People get on CNS for running up the score. Thank should be thanking him for not "really" running it up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yor are correct sir, reading a ND writer is rare for this guy:)
Here is the paragraph below. This was after he'd said that our receivers might be the least of their worries, owing to how well they'd defended this year:

Take a look at the chart below and you'll see Alabama is not good at sustaining methodical drives...because they've been so explosive on offense and haven't had to rely on stringing together long scoring drives with a ton of plays.
As I said before, this is tantamount to saying "Boxer 'X' can't sustain a long fight, because he knocks everyone out in the first round..."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It has the ring of grasping for straws...
I did the same comparison last year for LSU. However, my basis was their offense had a shorter field than most because of their defense and kick return game. While they scored TDs, they didn't sustain long drives because of their field position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.