Game Thread: Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs. Kansas State

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
yawn...if my team wasn't in the National Title Game this would be the worst Bowl Season in history. Some horrendous matchups coupled with poor effort from several teams and fan bases.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Grew up in Bama. Huge Tide fan. Currently a grad student at K-State. I must say that most folks I know have no problem with Alabama.
The prevailing complaint on the KSU board is the SEC manipulates the schedule so that none of the power schools have any hard conference games in November. This prevents SEC teams from losing too late in the year and not having enough time to work their way back up the rankings.

This is seen as being very unfair to Big12 teams because KSU had to play a very tough Baylor late in the season while Alabama got to cruise.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, I think I'll look at something interesting, like the local news. :rolleyes: I'll check in to see if KSU shows signs of stirring up from the walking dead...

Ruffian

Oct 21, 2012
Nashville
For some reason, there are many KU grads here in Huntsville (like our next-door neighbors for 25 years), but few KSU grads. The KU people have sort of the same sort of attitude toward the KSU folk as we do toward AU, but just not so much bitterness on the part of the KSU folk. It always seemed a little odd to me that the two schools were so close together right there on I-70. I once got caught in a storm there on I-70 during FB season and both of them were playing at home. Manhattan was completely full, but we managed to get the last room in Lawrence. When we go in and dried out, we found that several people had drowned on the spur to the south, one minivan being swept 1.5 miles down a dry wash in the Flint Hills...
Haha...yeah, there is no love lost between KU and KSU at all. They definitely have the edge in basketball, not so much in football. It's been a pretty big deal that Wildcat basketball has been doing so much better in recent years. Yeah, everything would be sold out in town for football...it's a pretty big deal for the 'Cats. The Bama/Barn comparison is pretty accurate. K-State is known more for engineering, agriculture, vet med. KU has the med school, etc.

The weather can be wicked and unpredictable. Beautiful. Not much to do. Not as flat as the mythologies until you get to western Kansas. I-70 can be a bore to drive, especially once you get past Exit 313 to Manhattan.

Ruffian

Oct 21, 2012
Nashville
The prevailing complaint on the KSU board is the SEC manipulates the schedule so that none of the power schools have any hard conference games in November. This prevents SEC teams from losing too late in the year and not having enough time to work their way back up the rankings.

This is seen as being very unfair to Big12 teams because KSU had to play a very tough Baylor late in the season while Alabama got to cruise.
I was at the Texas A & M game at Bryant Denny in the student section. Pretty sure that game was played in early November. (Best game I've been to in person for pure excitement factor...disappointing finish!) K-State lost the next week. Not much difference in my opinion. The difference in the end was we lost to a tough Texas A & M team (hopefully this bears out in beating OU). They lost to an upstart Baylor. Weak argument from their boards... re: SEC front loading their schedules. Just different conferences w/ different scheduling philosophies.

I'm just saying in person; a lot of my friends liked the match-up of K-State vs Bama. Probably not so much after being exposed again tonight. Although, in fairness, we struggle with these HUNH offenses.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Every BCS game so far (except the Rose Bowl and Sugar) has been a blowout. But, they BCS is designed only "to match the two best teams". We could've say Georgia or Florida vs Florida State but noooo we had to settle for these mismatches.

Every BCS game so far (except the Rose Bowl and Sugar) has been a blowout. But, they BCS is designed only "to match the two best teams". We could've say Georgia or Florida vs Florida State but noooo we had to settle for these mismatches.
The powers that be got what they want right? The playoffs only puts a bandaid on the whole thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.