Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Re: 1 point safety in the Fiesta Bowl last night?

Quote Originally Posted by tidegrandpa View Post
    Thanks guys, beeen watching football 50 years, first one I've seen for 1 point.
    Yeah... it's only happened like 4 or 5 times in history.
    We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.

-Bill Belichick

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American theBIGyowski's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

How rare was that 1 point safety?

@darrenrovell: Wynn bookmaker Johnny Avello just told me if he were to post a 1-point safety prop, he'd put it at 50,000 to 1.
    I remember my first game as a child and the amazing feeling I got when I first walked into Bryant-Denny. I still get that same feeling every single game.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tidegrandpa View Post
    Thanks guys, beeen watching football 50 years, first one I've seen for 1 point.
    Same here - didn't even know it was possible, but it makes sense.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Agreed... and the lateral back to another player in the endzone.
    I don't think the lateral is really relevant though. IIRC, the KSU player who recovered the block in the field of play had already retreated back into the endzone. If he had been tackled in the endzone before he lateraled, it would have still been a safety.

Do college teams have to annouce whether they're going for 1 or 2 points? I wonder if it would have been a 2 point safety if Oregon had fumbled during a 2 point conversion and a KSU player recovered the ball in the field of play and was tackled after he retreated into the endzone.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    I don't think the lateral is really relevant though. IIRC, the KSU player who recovered the block in the field of play had already retreated back into the endzone. If he had been tackled in the endzone before he lateraled, it would have still been a safety.

Do college teams have to annouce whether they're going for 1 or 2 points? I wonder if it would have been a 2 point safety if Oregon had fumbled during a 2 point conversion and a KSU player recovered the ball in the field of play and was tackled after he retreated into the endzone.
    A safety on a conversion, whether it's a kick or a 2 point, will result in 1 point... unless it's the team doing the conversion and somehow they get tackled in their own endzone... which would be a next to impossible scenario (Outside of saying the ball getting snapped too high and somehow going the length of the field into the other endzone).

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by theBIGyowski View Post
    How rare was that 1 point safety?

@darrenrovell: Wynn bookmaker Johnny Avello just told me if he were to post a 1-point safety prop, he'd put it at 50,000 to 1.
    I've never seen or heard of it in 50+ years. Brad Nessler commented he had now covered two games where it occurred, but he didn't indicate what the earlier game was.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2259 View Post
    I've never seen or heard of it in 50+ years. Brad Nessler commented he had now covered two games where it occurred, but he didn't indicate what the earlier game was.
    Think he mentioned a Texas/Texas A&M game. Not sure the year, though.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

Learn something new everyday... A defensive safety on a conversion is the only possible way for a team to have a score of 1 in football. However, a defensive safety has not ever occurred in modern football.
    So, if Oregon was kicking the extra point, and the snap went over the holder's head, the kicker ran backward to pick up the ball, but is chased backwards by defenders until he is tackled in his own end zone, that would be a defensive safety on a conversion.

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

That's the first time that I've ever seen that call. Looks like the officials were well aware of the rule even though it happens only every blue moon.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Think he mentioned a Texas/Texas A&M game. Not sure the year, though.
    It was in 2004: LINK Our old friend Coach Fran was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    A safety on a conversion, whether it's a kick or a 2 point, will result in 1 point... unless it's the team doing the conversion and somehow they get tackled in their own endzone... which would be a next to impossible scenario (Outside of saying the ball getting snapped too high and somehow going the length of the field into the other endzone).
    i thought punting on a 4th and goal would be a next to impossible scenario until we played mich state
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Crappy on TideFans.com

Is it possible for a score to ever be 1-0 at any point in a game?
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by We_are_Bama View Post
    Is it possible for a score to ever be 1-0 at any point in a game?
    No because a team has to score for the other team to get the 1 point safety.

-Bill Belichick