Question: How would Bama do vs Oregon

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Drives stall, it just happens. They hit that field goal, they go in down 15-13. Totally different ball game. They missed it and just gave up. They never recovered.
Why did those two drives stall? They weren't athletic enough against Oregon's defense. They make that FG and they are down 15-13 and give Oregon about the same amount of time to score that TD as they did. All momentum would be gone.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Drives stall, it just happens. They hit that field goal, they go in down 15-13. Totally different ball game. They missed it and just gave up. They never recovered.
Why so I keep hearing this. Oregon scored in under a minute. How much time would a kickoff take away? If they had of hit the field goal, they go in down 22-13.

Why did those two drives stall? They weren't athletic enough against Oregon's defense. They make that FG and they are down 15-13 and give Oregon about the same amount of time to score that TD as they did. All momentum would be gone.
Even the Ducks, with all their speed stalled out drives during the game. Not necessarily. They kicked away from the top guy after the first kick off. They would have had longer to go probably. All of it is hind sight now, but to say K State didn't have the athletes is wrong.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Why so I keep hearing this. Oregon scored in under a minute. How much time would a kickoff take away? If they had of hit the field goal, they go in down 22-13.
Well with DAT returning a kickoff 94 yards, 12 seconds went off the clock. Looking at less than 10 then. Oregon scored the TD with about 11 seconds left on the clock.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Offense, offense, offense.

Against a team like Oregon, you've got to accept that you're going to give up some points (don't tell Nick Saban I said that)*. But what can your offense do? That's the key. Against Texas A&M, we would have won by 7-14 if our offense didn't have 3 turnovers (not to mention we abandoned the run to quickly, IMO).

So that's what it would boil down to. Does our offense manhandle Oregon's smallish defense like it should? If so, we'd beat them by double digits.

*it's certainly possible to shut down their offense. Stanford did a pretty good job of it, and so did Auburn a couple of years ago. But most of the time, they're good enough that they are going to score some points.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Re: How would Bama do vs Oregon State?

Oregon presents two main problems for any and all defenses:

1)They can score on any given play no matter who has the ball. Team speed combined how they spread you out creates open field situations which is where they excel.
2)Tempo. The pace at which they call plays and the number of plays they get in will wear a defense down while making it difficult for the defense to effectively sub.

Because of it's scheme and players Oregon is going to create X amount of open field situations and they will score every X amount of plays. We would fare better than most vs them but if we played 10 times they might win 3 and they might win 7. A missed tackle, a blown assignment, a poor angle....all can lead to easy TDs.

Our best weapon vs them would be our physical offensive line, IMO. Keep their offense on the bench and slow down their small, quick defense. Ideally their offense would struggle to get in sync and we would be gashing their defense most of the 2nd half.

Anyone who thinks we would easily beat them or that we would not be susceptible to the occasional whipping vs them is not being very objective.
Agreed. Throughout the last half of the season, Oregon was the team that worried me most. Here in North Cali where there are droves of Oregon fans, I've seen most of their games and IMHO I think our secondary might have a tough time with that offense - when schemed against our D for weeks. I think the Stanford D is a tough comparison to ours due to the way they approach the spread and their personnel grouping against it.

I think Bama would score on Oregon's D with some regularity, but I'm not sure it would be enough in a hypothetical match-up. Sure would be a fun game to watch. If they played 10 times, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 5-5.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Well with DAT returning a kickoff 94 yards, 12 seconds went off the clock. Looking at less than 10 then. Oregon scored the TD with about 11 seconds left on the clock.
If I'm not mistaken, which I usually am, KSU got the ball back with 14 seconds left.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I think the Stanford D is a tough comparison to ours due to the way they approach the spread and their personnel grouping against it.
Stanford has seen that offense for years now. They have the experience of how to defend it. Comparing Bama's defense to Stanford's is somewhat foolish because of their familiarity of the Oregon offense compared to Alabama's.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

Much is made over Oregon's speed, and with good reason, they've got a lot of it. But it's not like they've got eleven Usain Bolts and all our guys are wearing concrete blocks. Is Barner faster than anyone on Bama's D? Maybe, but if you know where to be, maintain your position, can fight off blocks, and tackle well, IOW, play fundamental football...it doesn't matter how fast the other guys are. Football is not a foot race, it's about knowing where to be and what to do when you get there. No one coaches fundamentals better than CNS.

Exactly.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

Look, Oregon is a quality team. And so are we. To say that we couldn't beat them or that they couldn't us is ludicrous. I do believe if we played out type of game and dictated the tempo by running the football to set up the play action pass, we would win. But Oregon does have some very fast players and they play an uptempo style that, frankly, we've struggled against all year. If we fell behind like KSU did or like we did against TA&M, we'd be putting ourselves in a very tough position. It would be a very tough matchup.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

We would establish the run, stop their run and force 'O' to throw.
When they crowd the box, we hit a couple of passes... :BigA:

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

I didn't watch the second half because after Oregon scored to make it 22-10 it was obvious the game was over. KSU couldn't stretch the field vertically and made it very easy to just stack the box.

After watching KSU's 1st 29 minutes of defense I only gained confidence in Bama's chances against Oregon.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.