Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Re: How would Bama do vs Oregon

Offense, offense, offense.

Against a team like Oregon, you've got to accept that you're going to give up some points (don't tell Nick Saban I said that)*. But what can your offense do? That's the key. Against Texas A&M, we would have won by 7-14 if our offense didn't have 3 turnovers (not to mention we abandoned the run to quickly, IMO).

So that's what it would boil down to. Does our offense manhandle Oregon's smallish defense like it should? If so, we'd beat them by double digits.

*it's certainly possible to shut down their offense. Stanford did a pretty good job of it, and so did Auburn a couple of years ago. But most of the time, they're good enough that they are going to score some points.

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Drives stall, it just happens. They hit that field goal, they go in down 15-13. Totally different ball game. They missed it and just gave up. They never recovered.
    Too simplistic...

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

How would Bama do vs Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Too simplistic...
    Yeah, but it was as simple as that.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-American Tider@GW_Law's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How would Bama do vs Oregon State?

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    Oregon presents two main problems for any and all defenses:

1)They can score on any given play no matter who has the ball. Team speed combined how they spread you out creates open field situations which is where they excel.
    2)Tempo. The pace at which they call plays and the number of plays they get in will wear a defense down while making it difficult for the defense to effectively sub.

Because of it's scheme and players Oregon is going to create X amount of open field situations and they will score every X amount of plays. We would fare better than most vs them but if we played 10 times they might win 3 and they might win 7. A missed tackle, a blown assignment, a poor angle....all can lead to easy TDs.

Our best weapon vs them would be our physical offensive line, IMO. Keep their offense on the bench and slow down their small, quick defense. Ideally their offense would struggle to get in sync and we would be gashing their defense most of the 2nd half.

Anyone who thinks we would easily beat them or that we would not be susceptible to the occasional whipping vs them is not being very objective.
    Agreed. Throughout the last half of the season, Oregon was the team that worried me most. Here in North Cali where there are droves of Oregon fans, I've seen most of their games and IMHO I think our secondary might have a tough time with that offense - when schemed against our D for weeks. I think the Stanford D is a tough comparison to ours due to the way they approach the spread and their personnel grouping against it.

I think Bama would score on Oregon's D with some regularity, but I'm not sure it would be enough in a hypothetical match-up. Sure would be a fun game to watch. If they played 10 times, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 5-5.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Well with DAT returning a kickoff 94 yards, 12 seconds went off the clock. Looking at less than 10 then. Oregon scored the TD with about 11 seconds left on the clock.
    If I'm not mistaken, which I usually am, KSU got the ball back with 14 seconds left.
    RIP Hub

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tider@GW_Law View Post
    I think the Stanford D is a tough comparison to ours due to the way they approach the spread and their personnel grouping against it.
    Stanford has seen that offense for years now. They have the experience of how to defend it. Comparing Bama's defense to Stanford's is somewhat foolish because of their familiarity of the Oregon offense compared to Alabama's.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

So it is as simple as K-State giving up? Guess they gave up against Baylor, too...

Couldn't be that Baylor and Oregon out-manned them or had more athletes or flat out beat them.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    So it is as simple as K-State giving up? Guess they gave up against Baylor, too...

Couldn't be that Baylor and Oregon out-manned them or had more athletes or flat out beat them.
    Oh boy... Are you arguing for the sake of it?
    ROLL TIDE!

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

People just don't "quit" in the 2nd quarter after they miss a field goal, and if that is what they did then they never deserved to be in a BCS game in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    People just don't "quit" in the 2nd quarter after they miss a field goal, and if that is what they did then they never deserved to be in a BCS game in the first place.
    Ok you're right.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamadp View Post
    Much is made over Oregon's speed, and with good reason, they've got a lot of it. But it's not like they've got eleven Usain Bolts and all our guys are wearing concrete blocks. Is Barner faster than anyone on Bama's D? Maybe, but if you know where to be, maintain your position, can fight off blocks, and tackle well, IOW, play fundamental football...it doesn't matter how fast the other guys are. Football is not a foot race, it's about knowing where to be and what to do when you get there. No one coaches fundamentals better than CNS.

Exactly.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Look, Oregon is a quality team. And so are we. To say that we couldn't beat them or that they couldn't us is ludicrous. I do believe if we played out type of game and dictated the tempo by running the football to set up the play action pass, we would win. But Oregon does have some very fast players and they play an uptempo style that, frankly, we've struggled against all year. If we fell behind like KSU did or like we did against TA&M, we'd be putting ourselves in a very tough position. It would be a very tough matchup.
    ‘I can’t really say that you’re going to come in here and start. You’ve got to come here and be ready to compete because the best man plays.’ CNS

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We would establish the run, stop their run and force 'O' to throw.
    When they crowd the box, we hit a couple of passes...