Question: How would Bama do vs Oregon

beowulf

Nov 12, 2012
After watching Oregon State dismantle KS last night, I'm not sure we could beat them. That's the fastest team I've ever seen!

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Re: How would Bama do vs Oregon State?

Ummm...First; I think you mean Oregon. We'd probably beat Oregon State 9 or 10 times out of 10. Oregon is a good team, no doubt (they were already ranked #4 and will likely be #2 at the end of the season). It would be a good game between us and them; KSU found some success running on them. If they didn't fall 2 TDs behind so early, I think the game would've been a lot better. KSU is built to control clock, not really air it out and score quick, so credit Oregon for taking KSU out of its normal rhythm. To say we couldn't beat them is reaching though...

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC

You must have been watching a game no one else did because Oregon State wasn't playing last night.

Oregon, on the other hand, would present a challenge much like Texas A&M did.
I agree that they would present similar match up issues as A&M did, but we have played A&M, and adjusted to the match up once. And we only had one week to prepare for A&M. Give coach Saban enough time to plan the game plan, and we beat them like we did Michigan with Denard Robinson. Just my Opinion.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

ksu could not complete a pass more than 5 yards downfield all night. that allowed oregon, especially with a lead, just to sit back and wait. i also think oregon would have a hard time sustaining anything on o against us, but their quick strike capability would allow them to score some. \

i think we would win mid-high 30's to high teens-low 20s

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I have always been on the side that said Oregon would give Alabama problems, and they would. After last night, my feelings became stronger. Oregon would break some runs and have some drives. However, Bama would pull away. K-State missed a FG and settled for another. If those are TDs, the game looks completely different. I think Bama's offense is better than K-State's because they didn't like to throw the ball last night. Bama would do it and open up the run.

Bama_Fan72

1st Team
Nov 4, 2007

Alabama may have a slight problem with Oregon, but I believe Alabama would win. Bama's DB's are more physical and would jam the Oregon WR's off the line more than other teams have been doing. Auburn was able to beat Oregon in their Championship game after everyone declared Oregon to fast for them to stop.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

If we played disciplined defense like Stanford we could beat them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Based on Alabama's previous defensive performances, Oregon would score 24 points. Could they keep Alabama under that number? I doubt it.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile

Oregon would mostl likely have a big play here and there like they do against everyone, but they typically struggle to score touchdowns inside the 10 yard line when they play against bigger, more physical defenses. See their recent BCS bowls against Ohio State and Auburn, the game against Stanford, and the game last year against LSU. It's hard to beat Alabama by kicking field goals in the red zone.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.

Much is made over Oregon's speed, and with good reason, they've got a lot of it. But it's not like they've got eleven Usain Bolts and all our guys are wearing concrete blocks. Is Barner faster than anyone on Bama's D? Maybe, but if you know where to be, maintain your position, can fight off blocks, and tackle well, IOW, play fundamental football...it doesn't matter how fast the other guys are. Football is not a foot race, it's about knowing where to be and what to do when you get there. No one coaches fundamentals better than CNS.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Both EL and TJ would have 200 yards rushing behind our line against that under-sized defense. Bama would win by 10+.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Baylor whacked KSU. KSU didn't have the athletes to stay with the Ducks.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I disagree. After that missed field goal, their body language was messed up. They had them on the ropes but just stopped punching.
Why didn't they make that FG, though? Because they settled for a TD because they didn't have the athletes on offense to go against Oregon's defense. They settled for 2 FGs when they needed TDs.

Why didn't they make that FG, though? Because they settled for a TD because they didn't have the athletes on offense to go against Oregon's defense. They settled for 2 FGs when they needed TDs.
Drives stall, it just happens. They hit that field goal, they go in down 15-13. Totally different ball game. They missed it and just gave up. They never recovered.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

Oregon presents two main problems for any and all defenses:

1)They can score on any given play no matter who has the ball. Team speed combined how they spread you out creates open field situations which is where they excel.
2)Tempo. The pace at which they call plays and the number of plays they get in will wear a defense down while making it difficult for the defense to effectively sub.

Because of it's scheme and players Oregon is going to create X amount of open field situations and they will score every X amount of plays. We would fare better than most vs them but if we played 10 times they might win 3 and they might win 7. A missed tackle, a blown assignment, a poor angle....all can lead to easy TDs.

Our best weapon vs them would be our physical offensive line, IMO. Keep their offense on the bench and slow down their small, quick defense. Ideally their offense would struggle to get in sync and we would be gashing their defense most of the 2nd half.

Anyone who thinks we would easily beat them or that we would not be susceptible to the occasional whipping vs them is not being very objective.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.