ND practicing uptempo in Miami

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I won't link it but AL.com has a video of, I believe, ND's Thursday practice where they're practicing uptempo. Maybe they intend using it more than just occasionally. They looked good doing it, running to the new line of scrimmage and getting a play off.

ColumbusTide

1st Team
Jan 10, 2007
That's Brian Kelly. He wants to go fast. He just hasn't quite gotten the personnel to do it yet. It can back fire on you though. It makes a really quick three and out and that talented but not very deep defense could tire out. If they are smart they will play us the way they played Stanford and slow the game down, not speed it up.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
That's Brian Kelly. He wants to go fast. He just hasn't quite gotten the personnel to do it yet. It can back fire on you though. It makes a really quick three and out and that talented but not very deep defense could tire out. If they are smart they will play us the way they played Stanford and slow the game down, not speed it up.
My thought in watching the video was making uptempo work is more than running to the line of scrimmage and having a play ready when you don't have a defense in front of you.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Does anyone think Bama's offense will also try some uptempo during the game?

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
don't understand why poor offensive teams go up-tempo. i know from reading another site that ND thinks going up-tempo with 2 tight ends will give them some match-up advantages like A&M had vs us but if your offense is a weak link why make it run more plays, faster? seems strange

eifert will get his catches (9 or 10x caught 4+ this year) but there's not a LB crew on their schedule like the Tide have

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Does anyone think Bama's offense will also try some uptempo during the game?
We've done it a little, but I don't think we'll really do it unless they present us with a personnel grouping we want to exploit just so they can't sub guys in.

I think that is the reason they'll try uptempo. They want to create a mismatch and since they have a RB and TE that can also flex out, they'll look to spread us out after they show a more base offense.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
i like when people try to change approaches as they prepare for us.
This would be my concern if I was a ND fan. Kelly might be trying to install too much for this game and change their approach too drastically. If their offense sputters with an uptempo, they really don't have depth at all on defense; I'd expect to see their D mirror the LSU defense if their offense stalls.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
maybe they should try the (triple) option. goergia southern showed that we were vulnerable last year. maybe they could get a street magician to play qb for them since johnny futbol was so successful against us.

it sort of reminds me of this scene from OBWAT

"hey diddy, we got to get us some of that up-tempo offense"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Makes sense - gives Alabama something else to prepare for - but I seriously doubt that they will alter their game plan substantially. Kelly is not an idiot. He will do what his team does best, just as Alabama will.

MS TN NC Tidefan

3rd Team
Jan 2, 2003
Huntersville, NC, USA
I would love to see us pick up the pace some. I don't think they have the depth on their DL to sub like we do. We would do it to physically wear them out. I think they would be doing it to create possible mismatches in coverages.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Makes sense - gives Alabama something else to prepare for - but I seriously doubt that they will alter their game plan substantially. Kelly is not an idiot. He will do what his team does best, just as Alabama will.
bama has been dealing with up tempo offenses all season. preparation shouldn't be a big issue for us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.