ND practicing uptempo in Miami

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Does anyone think Bama's offense will also try some uptempo during the game?
We should expect it. Bama does it, just not as much as other teams. If the defense is on its heals, AJ will look to take advantage.

don't understand why poor offensive teams go up-tempo. i know from reading another site that ND thinks going up-tempo with 2 tight ends will give them some match-up advantages like A&M had vs us but if your offense is a weak link why make it run more plays, faster? seems strange

eifert will get his catches (9 or 10x caught 4+ this year) but there's not a LB crew on their schedule like the Tide have
The uptempo usually provides to some mismatch in the offense's favor. Whether that be a confused defense or a defender out of place or a winded defense. The weaker offense will do this to equalize Bama's strength to ND's weakness.
Oh goody. More gimmicks.
I love it! :biggrin:
An uptempo offense isn't gimmicky. If it is, Alabama runs gimmick plays.

I haven't seen the video. Was ND running no-huddle or hurry-up-no-huddle? Two different things...

tambo410

1st Team
Nov 25, 2008
Fallston, MD
www.vrbo.com
Kelly said that their use of up-tempo will be situational. They have done it some throughout the year but it has not been a big part of their offense much like how we have used uptempo throughout the year. I would not expect to see much of it during the game. They are probably just showing a look of it during the media viewing session trying to make us think it will be a big part of their offense.

Also, I think the game temp is supposed to be around 65-70 degrees with a 20% chance of rain (which means humidity but not too hot). I would be surprised if cramping / fatigue is much of an issue with weather and all the time-outs for TV.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I hope they have a very experienced center (and that he doesn't get injured if so). I could see a green center getting nervous during uptempo and snapping the ball over Golson's head. Either way, I don't see this turning out very well for them, and I think they will abandon it if it doesn't work on their first couple of possessions.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
bama has been dealing with up tempo offenses all season. preparation shouldn't be a big issue for us.
I agree that it should not be a problem, but it something else to eat up snaps in practice. Remember, in order to play with speed the players need to be sure of their responsibility on a given play. The more that you give a defense to think about, the less speed that they will play with. The more certain that a player is of his responsibility on a given play, the faster and more agressive that player will be in executing his assignment.

Keep them guessing and you slow them down.

NDinNYC2

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2012
i like when people try to change approaches as they prepare for us.
This isn't a change. ND has been working up tempo drills in practice all year - save maybe spring ball when they were still trying to figure out if Golson had the mental chops to lead the team. The question will be how much they use it in the game. Not sure. I'd guess they would pick their spots rather than stupidly trying to turn themselves into Oregon. Regardless, the fact that they are doing in this in practice doesn't indicate a whole lot.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Oh noes, whatever shall we do?

Just sounds like to me ND will go 3 and out that much faster.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Kelly said that their use of up-tempo will be situational. They have done it some throughout the year but it has not been a big part of their offense much like how we have used uptempo throughout the year. I would not expect to see much of it during the game. They are probably just showing a look of it during the media viewing session trying to make us think it will be a big part of their offense.

Also, I think the game temp is supposed to be around 65-70 degrees with a 20% chance of rain (which means humidity but not too hot). I would be surprised if cramping / fatigue is much of an issue with weather and all the time-outs for TV.
I watched that interview, too. I'm guessing ND might open their first series up-tempo to try and score early and take momentum, à la Texas A&M, South Carolina in 2010, and Utah in 2008 Sugar Bowl.

Last edited:

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
sounds like the ND lineman are pretty excited about this....NOT!
http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2013-01-01/sports/36099136_1_irish-offense-everett-golson-tempo

"It's tough, conditioning-wise," Irish right tackle Christian Lombard said of the hurry-up attack. "If that's what it's going to take to win, then we're all for it. Whatever it takes, run game, passing game.

"Seeing the defense is the big thing that we're always talking about. There's going to be enough time pre-snap to do all that stuff. Then we go play from there."

"It's definitely hard when you're over 300 pounds, running around," said left guard Chris Watt, 6-3, 310. "We have certain calls that we have when we're on the go; do them quickly. Or, we have to react to what's going on in front of us.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I think Kelly is afraid of coming out sluggish and getting behind early. He knows they can't come from behind and win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.