ND practicing uptempo in Miami

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
I must be old school, cause I'm old. But I have all ways believe ed in dance with who you brung and stay with what got ya there! If your number one or number two there's a reason!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
80 degrees... 90 degrees- it's all hot. With windchill it was -13F here on Wednesday :cool:
I've actually seen -47F, without wind chill (which is unreliable at really low temps), although I didn't get out in it until -25. I have the damage to show for it also...

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
When you want to emigrate to Alabama, we'll let you in, despite the reputation our immigration act has given us...
That is very tempting. I seriously considered moving to New Hampshire about 10 years ago- not for the weather, though :biggrin: I'm planning to visit T-town for the first time next fall and see a game for the first time in the 30 years or so that I've been a Bama fan. I'll scout retirement locations while I'm there. Shovelling snow loses its novelty really fast every year.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I've actually seen -47F, without wind chill (which is unreliable at really low temps), although I didn't get out in it until -25. I have the damage to show for it also...
That's scary cold. Antarctic cold, I'm guessing. A few years ago I was working with some colleagues from the UK on a potential real estate purchase in Edmonton. They looked at some photos of the property and asked me what the posts were in the parking lot of the property. I told them they were plugs for engine block heaters and that on cold winter days cars wouldn't start after being parked all day unless the engine was kept warm by heating it. They didn't believe me at first and when they found out that it was true, I think they made a mental note to avoid Edmonton in January.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That is very tempting. I seriously considered moving to New Hampshire about 10 years ago- not for the weather, though :biggrin: I'm planning to visit T-town for the first time next fall and see a game for the first time in the 30 years or so that I've been a Bama fan. I'll scout retirement locations while I'm there. Shovelling snow loses its novelty really fast every year.
Yes it does, particularly as you age. Below is our north Alabama 2010-11 winter. I didn't know at the time that I had a heart problem which should have precluded it...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's scary cold. Antarctic cold, I'm guessing. A few years ago I was working with some colleagues from the UK on a potential real estate purchase in Edmonton. They looked at some photos of the property and asked me what the posts were in the parking lot of the property. I told them they were plugs for engine block heaters and that on cold winter days cars wouldn't start after being parked all day unless the engine was kept warm by heating it. They didn't believe me at first and when they found out that it was true, I think they made a mental note to avoid Edmonton in January.
I drove Benz diesels for 30 years and the block heater was a necessity even here. Most motels out west here have parking lot plugins for block heaters. Strangely, that cold trip was a ski trip to Steamboat Springs. It's located in the Yampa River basin, and the cold air from Canada just slid in and settled. We got there OK - we were with a group and Liz and I left early from the south in Summit Cty, CO, because I could look up and see blizzard coming. We made it up to Steamboat OK, except for one exciting 180 on the snow-packed road. I was wearing contacts and had to put on my ski goggles to protect my eyes, so I could run the defrost full blast. The people who waited and skied that day ended up stuck at the pass and sleeping in a school. Anyway, the next AM, I came down to the chalet LR and the TV had a local crawler on. Bottom left was -40F and bottom right was -40C. I said "Whoa, I didn't know that!" One guy said I could have seen -47F. We made a compact not to ski unless it got up to -15. It only reached -25 for a high. The next day I skied. (my wife had managed to dislocate a shoulder.) On the hill was comfortable, about +10F. Down at the lift area, it was around -10 and I didn't wear adequate gloves. I have frostbite damage to both my big toes and my right middle finger. Our rental car didn't move for several days. One group of guys were smart enough to bring their battery in with them. Sorry for the length. Maybe we should adopt Facebook software so long posts can be edited, with "more..." :D

BamaJaguars

Aug 25, 2008
Did anyone else notice the under the breath comment at 2:24? I like to think that was someone from the ND media. Due to the language, I won't post what was said.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Oregon is the bell cow of uptempo, no-huddle offense and they are notoriously bad for having a lot of 3-and-outs even when they score a lot. It's a high risk, high reward offense even for it's best practitioners. Look at the Fiesta Bowl last night, Oregon basically had either a 3-and-out or 2-minute scoring drive. When they roll, they roll hard and fast. When they sputter, it looks like a wreck.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oregon is the bell cow of uptempo, no-huddle offense and they are notoriously bad for having a lot of 3-and-outs even when they score a lot. It's a high risk, high reward offense even for it's best practitioners. Look at the Fiesta Bowl last night, Oregon basically had either a 3-and-out or 2-minute scoring drive. When they roll, they roll hard and fast. When they sputter, it looks like a wreck.
The thing about that is that Oregon has the firepower to come back the next series each and every time to score. ND doesn't have that. If they did, that's the offense they'd be playing, because that's what Kelly has coached each other place he's been. They just don't have the right talent to run many series of that. I think they'll try it, it won't be productive and they'll give it up...

WaterWoman

1st Team
Nov 25, 2011
It is probably too much to ask for a Les-like scenario with the constant triple option last year, right?

Nick Saban is the smartest football man I have seen. Our boys will be prepared. No doubt in my mind.

RTR

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LSU from 2009 through 2011 tried no-huddle a few series a game against us. They were so young offensively in 2008 and 2012 that they stayed at their normal pace. The important thing is that they just used it as a one or two time change of pace where they almost had it preplanned heading into the game. I don't expect Notre Dame to vary their tempo in the Oregon fashion where any successful play leads to a no-huddle and the occasional quick snap.

The question is how they're going to place the drive. LSU almost always waited until the game settled down to try it. I get the feeling that Kelly/Martin are going to feel confident in their game prep and try it out of the gate. They'd love to get us one or two scores down quick like Utah, South Carolina, and Texas A&M over the years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.