Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team wishbonesooner's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Overreacting to a loss

I absolutely will bamaga.
    I have my standards, admittedly they're low, but I have standards!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I still haven't gotten over the 1973 loss to Notre Dame. I believe a win Monday will help me forget it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Volatile on TideFans.com

It's very simple what has happened to Oklahoma. Just look at their defensive statistics from 2000 to 2012 and you see a gradual decline across the board. They decided to buy into the Big12 way: high-scoring offense and pedestrian defense. That's why they lose the big games now.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

I remember when Alabama playing a Bob Stoops team close was almost a moral victory. We might want to poke fun ourselves, but from the DuBose-Shula era we would have gladly taken a Stoops like run. Of course there are other factors, but from 1997-2006 Alabama won one SEC championship and two bowl games (one vacated). So, to look at Bob Stoops run with one NC, 8 conference titles, and 7 bowl game victories, the reality is that isn't a bad run.

I get the concern, a lot of the success was early on, but if not for the SEC, Stoops could have two more national titles. If he had three titles, I don't think anyone would dare suggest there is something wrong. I think that's the issue. The SEC is something special, and now Texas A&M has some of the magic themselves. No, the SEC didn't create Johnny, but Texas A&M is benefiting from renewed interest in the program. Their 2011 recruiting class had a 2.95 star average, the 2012 class, boosted by their joining the SEC had a 3.42 average.

Personally, I'm glad Oklahoma isn't in the SEC. I think the other schools would benefit very little from having Oklahoma in the conference. However, I think the biggest problem Oklahoma has is that they're not in the SEC. I'm not sure you even blame Stoops, any more than you blame Chip Kelly or any other non-SEC coach that hasn't been able to stop the SEC. Mind you, I'm including recruiting. Remember when Oklahoma was in the hunt for Julio? Do we want to consider how much that might have changed things?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I can totally see reaching the end of your rope after seemingly never getting over the hump. Stoops reminds me of an upgraded Richt - he has all the pieces in place and can't seem to make it happen (save his second season).

Stoops is definitely one of the top few coaches in the land, not sure what's been wrong in Norman over the last few years. No shame in averaging >10 wins/season, but eventually you have to be in contention or the fans get restless...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

I wonder how much harm 2 things have done to the BIGXII:

1.Conference realignment. It all really started here and the major effects, imo, have been that the conference seems unstable and that it is now weaker overall especially from a name recognition perspective.

2.Spread offense QBs don't fare well in the NFL. The spread option mobile QB is hot right now in the NFL but those guys from the late 90's-late 2000's that threw 500-600 passes per year and were considered "system" QBs typically didn't make the transition well. You need to be able to read a defense and make all the throws in the NFL and too many of these QBs never developed their mental games.

IMHO, if the BIGXII doesn't get back to power football and defense, and do it pretty soon, that whole conference is in trouble. OU & Texas don't scare anyone right now. No one can leave the conference because of the TV $$$ in the conference contracts. The rest of that conference is middle tier material at best.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    I wonder how much harm 2 things have done to the BIGXII:

1.Conference realignment. It all really started here and the major effects, imo, have been that the conference seems unstable and that it is now weaker overall especially from a name recognition perspective.

2.Spread offense QBs don't fare well in the NFL. The spread option mobile QB is hot right now in the NFL but those guys from the late 90's-late 2000's that threw 500-600 passes per year and were considered "system" QBs typically didn't make the transition well. You need to be able to read a defense and make all the throws in the NFL and too many of these QBs never developed their mental games.

IMHO, if the BIGXII doesn't get back to power football and defense, and do it pretty soon, that whole conference is in trouble. OU & Texas don't scare anyone right now. No one can leave the conference because of the TV $$$ in the conference contracts. The rest of that conference is middle tier material at best.
    That doesn't really describe Manziel though. His reads are uncanny for a RS frosh. Of course, it helps to have an OL that gives him enough time to sit back there and eat a ham sandwich...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation First Team im4uainva's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Lurking on TideFans.com

I believe all of us here can relate to your pain. We may feel it for a couple of more years. I can't believe that Manziel will stay beyond his Jr year. Fortunately for Bama, I think he will lose a great portion of this year's supporting cast next year. That should make a difference. Plus, I expect Bama to be better.
    Good luck next year. Don't be so harsh on your guys, it could be worse (re: *ubrun).

Roll Tsunami, Roll...A'ight!

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That doesn't really describe Manziel though. His reads are uncanny for a RS frosh. Of course, it helps to have an OL that gives him enough time to sit back there and eat a ham sandwich...
    Excellent point. Most of his big plays are when he has 3 or 4 seconds to survey everything down field. By that time defenders get pulled away and he has time to throw or he has running lanes and can take off. JF is talented no doubt, but I haven't seen many DL in the backfield forcing him to change direction right after the snap. It will be interesting to see what he does next year with the two OL taken in the 1st round. Lets hope there's a drop off - @A&M next September is going to be very tough.

BamaNation All-American RollTideMang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think you guys will be in the hunt again within the next couple of years. Next year may be difficult because you lose L. Jones (from reading sooner forums, that may be a good or bad thing), but it's only been 5 years since you were in the NCG. It took Bama 17 years to get back to it. It will get better.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I understand your frustration with Stoops. Let me come right out and say it - I don't think Bob Stoops is a very good IN-GAME coach. Consider his record AFTER his national championship year of 2000, admittedly a magical year all the way around. In seven-point games since 2001, OU is 16-15. If the Sooners can't put 28 points on a team in the first quarter, they simply don't know what to do. Keep in mind that back when Oklahoma got all the hype, you beat us twice, once by 10 points and once by seven. And if you recall those games, you beat a 4-9 team with a fake punt and couldn't stop the other one in 2002. (Remember, OU made one big play the entire second half and then Tyler Watts fumbled away the comeback).

This tells me that if OU hits you in the mouth and you hit them back - they have no clue what to do. Simply compare our game against aTm with OU's. They tore into us early for a 20-point gash then we pretty well held them in check the rest of the way. The fact we lost - in the end - was not our failure to adjust but failure to execute. True, OU kept it close earlier but then again we had given OU a great tutorial of what NOT to do at the start. Once adjustments were made it was over.

So I can understand the frustration. That said - he's no John Blake.
    :13

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonesooner View Post
    We've all done it. You cuss and get mad. Complain about coaches, play calling, any target will do. I've sat in the same seats in Memorial Stadium for 32 years. Some years I really couldn't afford to keep them. I did, made friends with a family from Pawhuska Okla. that have sat next to us for over 20 years. We send each other's families Christmas cards.
    I called that friend tonight. he's been jokingly after me to sell him my seats for years. His family is bigger than mine, he's always bringing some guests. He now has my seats in Section 17, Row 45, Seats 14 and 15 as long as Bob Stoops is coaching the Sooners. I can handle losing. I cant handle not competing, not having teams ready to play.
    Good Luck my friends on Monday night. I'll be rooting for you.
    ROOL TIDE
    Hang in there wishbonesooner. I feel your pain. There were times last night when OU was running the ball well and then on 3rd down and 2 looked to the pass when they would have gotten 1st downs by just running the ball. Didn't they say that Stoops was 1 - 7 in his last 8 bowls? Who is the OC?

There is nothing to be ashamed of losing to Manziel and the Aggies. He is one unique player. Size 15 shoe, man, how does he move so quickly on those BIG feet. Maybe we should call him Big Foot. People have been looking for Big Foot for a long time. Now, Bama and Oklahome found him this year!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    Hang in there wishbonesooner. I feel your pain. There were times last night when OU was running the ball well and then on 3rd down and 2 looked to the pass when they would have gotten 1st downs by just running the ball. Didn't they say that Stoops was 1 - 7 in his last 8 bowls? Who is the OC?

There is nothing to be ashamed of losing to Manziel and the Aggies. He is one unique player. Size 15 shoe, man, how does he move so quickly on those BIG feet. Maybe we should call him Big Foot. People have been looking for Big Foot for a long time. Now, Bama and Oklahome found him this year!
    Sorry for the typo! That should have been Oklahoma.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry