Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BamaNation First Team Alajambama's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: Overreacting to a loss

Bob Stoops is nearly excactly like Mark Richt in that he wins too many games to be fired, but always seems to come up short on the big stage. He doesn't seem to be able to get his guys up for the type of games that would put them in the elite catagory.
    The best thing to ever come out of Tennessee...I-65 heading south.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    Sorry for the typo! That should have been Oklahoma.
    It'll be okay considering he put rool tide, lol.

BamaNation All-SEC

Personally I think that Stoops is in between a rock and a hard place. I think he knows that power (pro-set, play action) offense and run stuffing defense is the way to go. That's basically what he ran when he first got to OU. However, he morphed his team into a wide-open spread attack. Needless to say, his defense has subsequently let him down in big games. He knows you cant consistently beat a physical SEC team with an up-tempo finesse team for the national championship but at the same time his entire conference schedule consists of spread oriented teams. Therefore he needs a defense more suited to stop those teams - but invariably that will guarantee 1 or 2 losses each year. But this style defense is no match for the SEC offenses by and large who still attempt to control the clock.

I think Stoops would like to switch his team back to the more traditional model that will championships and send players to the NFL; but he would likely endure a few subpar seasons doing so and, today, he may not have enough job security even with his OU record to make the transition. In opposite effect with RichRod at UM, Tuberville and Chizik, we have seen what dire consequences are out there when switching to and from the spread attack.

If Stoops indeed wants to get over the hump and get back to more traditional football, he may likely have to do it by going to another program where under new administration he reset the vision for the program. I dont know if they did or not, but if I had been Tennessee I would have made a hard run at Stoops on this basis.

OU is a traditional program that ought to be built on physical offense and defense - they have the cache to recruit the players need to run that style. Until they do I dont see them challenging nationally. Notre Dame has come out of nowhere in no time doing just that - no reason OU cant do the same.

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That doesn't really describe Manziel though. His reads are uncanny for a RS frosh. Of course, it helps to have an OL that gives him enough time to sit back there and eat a ham sandwich...
    My posts was to the OP and the current issues with OU and the BIGXII in general(and their struggles), not Manziel. Manziel would fall under

The spread option mobile QB is hot right now in the NFL
    Be Good Or Be Gone

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonesooner View Post
    They'll still be in my name. I'll just call my friend when they come in and sell them at face value. No, I don't want to deal with that waiting list.
    Probably the best approach.

As others have pointed out, Stoops is another Richt. The biggest thing working against him is that he gets to yearly pummel the biggest fraud in CFB: Coach February, of the Whiny Orange. As long as that loser has the steers convinced he is a good coach, your guys will be expected to play the same way against real competition.

Most of us here can empathize with your dilemma. Hang in there.......it could always be worse...........you could be in Austin.
    "He's crazy, Doc. He won't fly with me. I take good care of him, but he won't. He's crazy, alright."
    "There, that's proof, isn't it?. They all say I'm crazy."
    "They're crazy."
    "Then why don't you ground them?"
    "Why don't they ask?"
    "Because they're crazy, that's why."
    "Of course they're crazy. I just told you that. You can't let crazy people decide if you are crazy or not, can you?"

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonesooner View Post
    We've all done it. You cuss and get mad. Complain about coaches, play calling, any target will do. I've sat in the same seats in Memorial Stadium for 32 years. Some years I really couldn't afford to keep them. I did, made friends with a family from Pawhuska Okla. that have sat next to us for over 20 years. We send each other's families Christmas cards.
    I called that friend tonight. he's been jokingly after me to sell him my seats for years. His family is bigger than mine, he's always bringing some guests. He now has my seats in Section 17, Row 45, Seats 14 and 15 as long as Bob Stoops is coaching the Sooners. I can handle losing. I cant handle not competing, not having teams ready to play.
    Good Luck my friends on Monday night. I'll be rooting for you.
    ROOL TIDE
    I think you are the Best poster from another school ever.
    dont give up I really like OU you will get there I'm sure. You all have had a lot of bad luck.

No shame to lose to Deliverence boy, we will get him next time & so will you.

Just keep ESPN the hell out of your training camp.

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    I think Stoops would like to switch his team back to the more traditional model that will championships and send players to the NFL; but he would likely endure a few subpar seasons doing so and, today, he may not have enough job security even with his OU record to make the transition. In opposite effect with RichRod at UM, Tuberville and Chizik, we have seen what dire consequences are out there when switching to and from the spread attack.
    Don't forget Florida. Over the last two years, they're the poster child for the ill effects of transitioning from a spread attack.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I think parody has totally arrived in football. That makes the run we are having right now even more special.
    I wouldn't give up on Stoops just yet. Of course it's frustrating to loose, but OU is always goning to be in the hunt.
    The Sooners will win the big one again. Everything cycles.

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    I think parody has totally arrived in football.
    Les Miles would be represented by Carl Spackler from Caddyshack.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel