Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    The stars assigned to players by recruiting services are not reliable. A 3 star may be a 5 star, etc. It is amazing the credibility the recruiting services have among many fans - amazing.
    There's actually some pretty good evidence that the recruiting rankings are a decent indicator of future success for a team as a whole. Very spotty on individual players but if you're getting top 5 classes every year you tend to be a good team.

I think you are looking at the exceptions and giving to much credit.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Did the Crison Tide pull the string too early on some recruits?

The stars assigned to players by recruiting services are not reliable. A 3 star may be a 5 star, etc. It is amazing the credibility the recruiting services have among many fans - amazing.
    I think your comment is the exception and not the rule in most cases. I think the popularity of recruiting and the recruiting services speaks for itself.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1224 View Post
    There's actually some pretty good evidence that the recruiting rankings are a decent indicator of future success for a team as a whole. Very spotty on individual players but if you're getting top 5 classes every year you tend to be a good team.

I think you are looking at the exceptions and giving to much credit.
    As a whole the team rankings appear somewhat accurate, but there are many other factors involved. IMO, the recruiting services do a decent job, but they probably have an accuracy rate of below 50%. In fact, a class is considered successful if half of its members make significant contributions. I'm not even knocking the recruiting services but those who put so much stock in their individual player rankings. Even Coach Saban who is considered by many to be the best talent evaluator in all of football, not just college, misses multiple players per year. The NFL who is considerably better than recruiting services, ranking players who are 4 years older, with millions of dollars on the line, miss many first rounders. The recruiting services are not nearly that good, nor should they be expected to be.

BamaNation All-American lynyrd skynyrd's Avatar
    My Mood
    Twisted on TideFans.com

As a whole the team rankings appear somewhat accurate, but there are many other factors involved. IMO, the recruiting services do a decent job, but they probably have an accuracy rate of below 50%. In fact, a class is considered successful if half of its members make significant contributions. I'm not even knocking the recruiting services but those who put so much stock in their individual player rankings. Even Coach Saban who is considered by many to be the best talent evaluator in all of football, not just college, misses multiple players per year. The NFL who is considerably better than recruiting services, ranking players who are 4 years older, with millions of dollars on the line, miss many first rounders. The recruiting services are not nearly that good, nor should they be expected to be.
    word up
    "Footballs only brutal when one sides hittin' and the other'n ain't". Clem Gryska UA asst. coach, 1973

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    I think the popularity of recruiting and the recruiting services speaks for itself.
    Couldn't agree more, but suspect we have entirely opposite conclusions.

fwiw Mike Dubose taught me all I need to know about recruiting rankings and Coach Saban confirmed it, if they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me!
    Friends don't let friends drink Bud Miller or Coors!
    Good people drink good bier!