Did the Crison Tide pull the string too early on some recruits?

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Doesn't it seem like we are turning down 4/5 star recruits left and right because we don't have enough room?

Doesn't it seem as if our bottom half dozen recruits are "lighter" than the recruits we are turning down?

Do you think the staff has any regrets?

We are spoiled with all the talent, but it does still pose the question.

RTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Since they are paid the millions to recruit these players, I trust their decision. Remember, Mark Ingram and Chance Warmack were 3* recruits. How did those two turn out for Saban and Co.?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I agree somewhat with what your saying, but the staff doesn't recruit players by the number of stars they have. They see plenty of talent in the 3/4 star players also or they wouldn't recruit them. You don't want all your players to be 3 and done...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
One thing you are missing is the "character" trait with these recruits which I think is very, very important. This is a team sport and a group of 5 star players does not a team make. We have had top 5 recruiting classes every year so I would say no, we are not accepting verbals too early.

Remember the FSU decade of domination? Every recruiting day they would go into signing day with 10-13 recruits only to sign a bevy of 5 stars that day. Florida State was good but they also earned the designation as "Thug U."

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
No.

Every great player isn't a great fit for us (for a number of reasons). There have been many to find that out before they got here. There's a number of them who have figured it out after they got here. Either way.... We're good

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Yes... we always pull it too early. That's why we ended up with three star non contributors like Mark Ingram (who?) and Chance "I won't see the field in my lifetime" Warmack... Saban obviously just grabs what he can get... :biggrin:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
What about that 2nd QB recruit, now that they have Del Rio?
I would be lying if I said having three QB's coming in wasn't, imo, too much...however... How often do QB's not pan out? How often does it end up like this year, where we lose our backup right before the season? Having a wealth of depth at QB is really good... I remember the Brandon Avalos days... *shudders*

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I would be lying if I said having three QB's coming in wasn't, imo, too much...however... How often do QB's not pan out? How often does it end up like this year, where we lose our backup right before the season? Having a wealth of depth at QB is really good... I remember the Brandon Avalos days... *shudders*
I remember the Jeff Dunn / Vince Sutton days!! I think Dunn is our only QB to not complete a pass in a game.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
as has been pointed out, our coaches don't really care about star rankings. I can't see how our staff can regret anyone in this class, its a great class thus far.

The only oversight seems to be Chris Jones and thats only because he's blown up late in his season and in All star games, but that in no way indites the players committed.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
You have to trust the staff. You just have to, and not worry about anyone who won't be wearing our unis come August. Our staff has earned the trust.

rtr

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I doubt that Saban takes a commitment from any player unless he really wants that player.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
Bama have their own evaluation system. Anyone Bama recruits meets the standard Bama coaches sets. I'm happy to see we have quite a few previous 3* turn out to be super stars.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I thought our coaches have been a great job recruiting. Been ranked in the top 5 every year the past 5 years or so. What more does anyone want from them? You can only take so many, can't take them all. Playing for the third BCS championship in four years. Wheres the beef? ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.